News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: List of “fun” courses
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2023, 10:18:56 AM »

I don't mind hitting woods into par 4s, but it can get out of control. I just played a course from the 6800 markers and didn't have a single iron into a par 4. Couldn't reach any bunkers from the tee. Loads of needlessly walking back tees. Had to driver on three short holes. This kind of thing hasn't happened to me since becoming proficient at the game. But then I rarely played 6800 yard courses when I hit the ball much further.

The next day was a bit better. Played 6500 tees at a different course and hit iron into two par 4s. Still a lot of walking back to tees and not reaching bunkers. Par 3s made more sense, only one driver which is fine. Ally doesn't like the descriptor, but this isn't nearly as fun as golf should be.

This is why I tend to avoid large group gatherings. Someone arbitrarily sets a tee of the day without much thought for the entire group. Let's see what silly tees are in store for me today.

One of my favorite ways to minimize this problem is just to play every hole from the closest tee to the previous green.  You'll play some back tees and some forward tees, you'll get a good random mix of approach shot lengths, and you'd finish quite a bit faster, if the groups in front of you did the same thing. 

[There used to be a scorecard at Lost Dunes of the "Doak Tees" which were nothing more than this -- the shortest walk.]

It doesn't work everywhere . . . if the course is stretched out on a line to maximize housing frontage, that might make you play it from the tips, as Matt Ward used to encourage us to do.  That was never for me, but especially not at 62.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2023, 11:03:45 AM »
Mark,

Good morning.

I never did a course with one tee.  I agree that shorter courses would be required to make most existing courses fun.  A few years back, I moved up from 6700 yards typically to 6000-6300 yards.  Hitting 15-16 greens is a lot of fun!

Anecdotally, people who said my courses were "fun" seemed to like the kick plates that allowed you to get close to a pin by hitting well away from it and using the contours to get it close.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2023, 12:02:38 PM »

I don't mind hitting woods into par 4s, but it can get out of control. I just played a course from the 6800 markers and didn't have a single iron into a par 4. Couldn't reach any bunkers from the tee. Loads of needlessly walking back tees. Had to driver on three short holes. This kind of thing hasn't happened to me since becoming proficient at the game. But then I rarely played 6800 yard courses when I hit the ball much further.

The next day was a bit better. Played 6500 tees at a different course and hit iron into two par 4s. Still a lot of walking back to tees and not reaching bunkers. Par 3s made more sense, only one driver which is fine. Ally doesn't like the descriptor, but this isn't nearly as fun as golf should be.

This is why I tend to avoid large group gatherings. Someone arbitrarily sets a tee of the day without much thought for the entire group. Let's see what silly tees are in store for me today.

One of my favorite ways to minimize this problem is just to play every hole from the closest tee to the previous green.  You'll play some back tees and some forward tees, you'll get a good random mix of approach shot lengths, and you'd finish quite a bit faster, if the groups in front of you did the same thing. 

[There used to be a scorecard at Lost Dunes of the "Doak Tees" which were nothing more than this -- the shortest walk.]

It doesn't work everywhere . . . if the course is stretched out on a line to maximize housing frontage, that might make you play it from the tips, as Matt Ward used to encourage us to do.  That was never for me, but especially not at 62.

I agree. Generally happy to play the tee near the green unless I know a superior tee is not far away. It's hard to convince others not to worry about mixing up tee colours.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2023, 12:16:29 PM »
Anyone here ever played “cross country” golf. We play it at our club sometimes when the course is empty or off season.  It is pure fun and throws all proper design principles out the window.  Golf was originally all about dealing with obstacles to eventually get your ball to the hole.  Multiple starting locations for golf holes can add much needed variety and interest and just more fun. 
Many a time.
13th tee to 18th green on the main course at Cruden Bay was a great laugh!
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back