News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

A Tradition Unlike Any Other?
« on: April 02, 2023, 11:30:25 AM »
Has any club commercialized itself and its event any more than ANGC?  We all know about the sale of shirts etc but now there is this?  Should the Irish Open out together a food package featuring Guinness?  Where does it stop?
https://www.southernliving.com/taste-of-the-masters-package-7111223

Ben Sims

Re: A Tradition Unlike Any Other?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 11:40:15 AM »
Has any club commercialized itself and its event any more than ANGC?  We all know about the sale of shirts etc but now there is this?  Should the Irish Open out together a food package featuring Guinness?  Where does it stop?

I bought two of them. More than happy to have you over for the party if you’re nearby.  :)

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 11:48:33 AM »

LOL.
An Irish package would not include food...but you nailed the Guiness.

I will say I was prompted multiple times on the air this morning for saying "front nine" rather than their preferred "first nine"
I'm pretty sure that's very recently made up as I've been in Augusta for 60 years, and attending for 50 and never heard that before.
Patrons vs, spectators? OK.
First nine?   errr... no
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 04:54:10 PM »

LOL.
An Irish package would not include food...but you nailed the Guiness.

I will say I was prompted multiple times on the air this morning for saying "front nine" rather than their preferred "first nine"
I'm pretty sure that's very recently made up as I've been in Augusta for 60 years, and attending for 50 and never heard that before.
Patrons vs, spectators? OK.
First nine?   errr... no

You’ve obviously a different taste in food to me then, Jeff! I’ll take an Irish package over that Augusta muck!

But honestly, who calls it “First” nine? “Front” or “Out”, shirley?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 05:01:31 PM »
Ha, I bought the package...it arrived on Friday.  Looking forward to sharing it with some friends this week.  Already sampled it a bit.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 05:27:28 PM »
Let’s go proper vaudeville and bring on the dancers and the jugglers.
Oh how class and decorum and genteel charm go out the window when money and hype and razzamatazz get involved.

Atb

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 05:39:42 PM »
Pretty sure there was a thread on this deal last year.
Screw Augusta National. It's relevant one day a year.

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 07:50:59 PM »
I don’t understand the vitriol towards ANGC for this event. As we are pretty fond of saying on this forum, private clubs can do what they want. If you’re going to do the whole “man yells at cloud” thing, the stature of The Masters in the golf world really isn’t the cloud to yell at. That ship has sailed. I know I’m a homer about The Masters. But I do look forward to it every year. And buying a food package sure keeps my forearms fresh from having to stir pimento cheese.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 08:01:44 PM »
I don’t understand the vitriol towards ANGC for this event. As we are pretty fond of saying on this forum, private clubs can do what they want. If you’re going to do the whole “man yells at cloud” thing, the stature of The Masters in the golf world really isn’t the cloud to yell at. That ship has sailed. I know I’m a homer about The Masters. But I do look forward to it every year. And buying a food package sure keeps my forearms fresh from having to stir pimento cheese.

I agree 100%. What’s the issue with buying some Master’s themed chow or swag to celebrate what is for many the greatest sporting event of the year?

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 09:00:13 PM »
They started it because of COVID. It was so popular they decided to keep doing it even after things returned to normal.

I don't get what the big deal is or why anyone would care -- just don't buy it.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 09:03:18 PM »
Let’s go proper vaudeville and bring on the dancers and the jugglers.
Oh how class and decorum and genteel charm go out the window when money and hype and razzamatazz get involved.

Atb

I (and my friends) will enjoy the package...thank you very much.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 09:08:22 PM »
No idea when they started calling it the "first" nine, but it sounds more logical and less confusing, especially seeing as how the "front" nine was originally the "back" nine, and you don't really go "out" on the front without coming "in" at #9, then "out" again on #10, only to come "in" once more at # 18.  ;D 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:10:08 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Michael Morandi

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2023, 09:16:42 PM »
Note the topic of the post. I have no problem with ANGC cashing in Just don’t pretend that you are above the money grab, which I understand that they are using to buy up as much land as they can find nearby.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 12:40:34 PM »
Jeff: I've been told ANGC wants "first nine" and "second nine" so, God forbid, someone doesn't refer to the course's "back side." Which of course makes the management rather anal, but they'd likely not prefer that description either.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 08:30:01 PM »

Speaking of above nothing, join my free tilt.

Pick four golfers and cross your fingres.

Let's Go! BuffaloGolfer's Masters Tilt is right here.

Winner gets bragging rights, a dozen golf balls, and an interview by me.

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Max Prokopy

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2023, 09:44:08 PM »
The context of the commercialization is not ideal but IMO remains below that of comparable events in other sports. 

It's part of the cost of doing business in terms of what I "pay" to watch the event, and I completely respect anyone's choice to not watch it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back