News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

A Biarritz
« on: March 29, 2023, 12:02:40 PM »

Courtesy of the great Anthony Pioppi, we’ve been discussing this over on FB. Realising the shock of the new might be a bit too much for some of our older viewers, I’m just going to leave it here for a bit to begin with:

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ben Hollerbach

Re: A Biarritz
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 12:06:57 PM »
I'm really curious to hear the backstory on this one. Especially considering the construction of this hole was done in parallel to full renovation of the Valley course, where none of the other 17 holes were rebuilt using this geometric style.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 12:10:25 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

Keith Williams

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 12:40:42 PM »
I just saw this recently on social media as well and couldn't believe it.  A neat idea, but completely out of character with the rest of the course (and the trail in general).  Would really love to find out how this came to be.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 02:52:51 PM »
The Trail has such a sameness of design style from course to course, for the most part, that I for one applaud them daring to be different. I don't think its target market will complain about this new hole because it's architecturally out of character from the rest of the course, but they might argue about whether they like it overall while learning a bit about what it is. To me that's a potential small win in the mission of convincing more and more golfers to care about architecture.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 03:11:23 PM »
Is it safe to say that William Dunn is smiling down on this from above?  Perhaps with CBM and Raynor flanking his sides with same approval?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 03:44:10 PM »
The Trail has such a sameness of design style from course to course, for the most part, that I for one applaud them daring to be different. I don't think its target market will complain about this new hole because it's architecturally out of character from the rest of the course, but they might argue about whether they like it overall while learning a bit about what it is. To me that's a potential small win in the mission of convincing more and more golfers to care about architecture.
When I first saw the picture, my initial thought was it was mistakenly identified. Oxmoor Valley just completely redesigned their 18 hole par 3 course, reopening it as The Back Yard, a 9 hole par 3 leaning more towards a Cradle type experience. I could have seen the par 3 redesign potentially including a Biarritz, so I was rather surprised to find out where this hole actually was.

I agree that the trail's target market will have a different response than we might architecturally, but they certainly won't miss it dramatic visual departure to the rest of the course.

With so many properties that have a very similar look and feel, it certainly would be interesting to see the Trail move towards renovating their courses in new and interesting ways.

Greg Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 05:58:50 PM »
I just LOVE it!  That is a real hoot.  That has now inspired me to go right ahead and make my own LEGO Biarritz!  It would be perfect.  Instead of the Lido Club, let's try for the Lego club! 

Seriously, from the ground level this isn't as comical a hole as it appears from the air.  I want to play it.

Or maybe it's a Minecraft Biarritz.....
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 08:13:45 PM »
I always feel cheated when the flag is on the front half of a Biarritz green, like in the photo.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 08:17:34 PM »
Was the very purpose of this hole to score points on social media for the course, or for whoever built the hole?  Or did they just think it was the perfect place for a Biarritz?

I have no problem with a hole that’s out of character for the rest of the course, if it’s good enough to justify itself.  But the templates seem like too much of a ready made solution.  Is it a better Biarritz in any way?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 08:36:43 PM »
Was the very purpose of this hole to score points on social media for the course, or for whoever built the hole?  Or did they just think it was the perfect place for a Biarritz?
Considering the hole was built in 2021 and no one has talked about it up until now, scoring points on social media does not appear to be the target. I've yet to find any release or notification from the RTJ trail as to why the hole was built in the first place, it seems to still be a mystery.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 05:59:34 AM »
They'll need to invent a new sand wedge to extract a ball nestled in a corner of the bunker, unless the minimalist geometric design includes the sand to the level of the bunker edges.

I'm not a fan of minimal modular design or as I call it mediocre modular design in building architecture either, it leads very quickly to repetition and a sterile and unstimulating environment.☹️

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 06:37:47 AM »
Can't believe they built an asymmetrical cart path  :)

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 08:05:51 AM »
Can't believe they built an asymmetrical cart path  :)

Niall

Man, I was thinking that path should turn at 90 degrees 😎.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 09:22:03 AM »
It reminds me of the old Portlandia sketch where the shop owners simply "put a bird on it".

"What a sad little tote bag - I know! I'll put a bird on it!"

"Did you see this bag before? I didn't. Now there's a bird. It's flying!"

Did I know this golf course before? I didn't. Now there's a template hole on it and everyone's talking.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back