News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Re: Probably OT - Naming New Golf Courses
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2023, 01:40:15 PM »
Whenever someone tells me they played Portmarnock Links, they invariably follow it up with a comment of the form "no it wasn't the championship/famous/big course". They could have named it St. Marnock's Golf Club, as the 6th century church is on the site. They probably wouldn't be able to avoid comparisons totally, especially when you have such an established course next door, but it could have lessened the now obligatory clarification every time. The follow-up comment in this case could have been a bit less negative, i.e. "the course next to Portmarnock Golf Club".

Or better still, call it Jameson's, as I believe the distiller John Jameson had some connection to the site, and may have lived in the old house, which is now part of the hotel.

I'm also not a fan of naming courses by colour, for example when you have 27/36/54/.., etc holes on the same property. I just can never remember the colour. I think Portmarnock's third nine is yellow, but I'm not sure.

There is a lot going on at Portmarnock Links with work done by Jeff Lynch EIGCA of reGolf - it will be interesting to see the different course when it is completed - St Marnocks or Jamieson Links would probably make is stand out more as the name clashes with its Neighbour. Like Notts GC and Nottinghamshire GC (Dont mention it to Boony!!) that Notts GC has now reverted to Hollinwell

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2023, 01:48:17 PM »
There is a long ago thread where someone called me out for allowing such a bad course name.  I replied that "the next course I get to name will be my first course I get to name."

In reality, I eventually did name a few courses, including the obvious "Quarry at Giant's Ridge."  They actually hadn't decided on a name, but I kept referring to it as the Quarry in press conferences, and it sort of stuck. 

I also named two courses, both "the Wilderness."  Down in Lake Jackson, TX, they were going to name it after an old council person, which I didn't feel was appropriate for the quality of the course (has any course named Gus Brown Muni ever been good?)  The course was located in Wilderness park, so I thought it sounded good and was a natural for local folks to locate it.  The course faced years of lawsuits from the Sierra Club and I thought it was probably dead when the Fortune Bay project came up.  They were debating names when I excused myself to go to the restrooms, where I saw their slogan above the urinal "We put the wild in Wilderness."  I returned to the room, suggested it, and they loved it, so there it was.  Naturally, the LJ course won it's lawsuits and we started construction on both courses at the same time. 

Had the LJ project also made the Golf Digest "Best New" list (it barely finished out of the list) I am sure I would have had some questions about having the Wilderness as my go-to standard name......

Short version, gca's usually don't have a say.  And, similar to Tom, my feeling always was they pick the name, and I make sure the course makes it a worthy one by being a worthy course.  I mean, is "Pine Valley" really that great a name or is it now because of it's association with the course?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom Dunne

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2023, 01:56:00 PM »
It would be a shame to pass on Stoatin Brae for the name. The Renaissance guys did a great job there--it's a fun, interesting golf course with plenty of exciting shots to be had. It was developed by the Scott family, who own the Gull Lake View resort complex up the street and who represent a lot of what's good about DIY "mom & pop" golf--a sector of the American golf scene that is perhaps not as prevalent as it was 30-40 years ago.

Plus, Kalamazoo is a fun town, with good live music at Bell's Brewery. I had a great time there. If you think the name's cheesy, just don't buy the hat--but the golf itself is worthwhile. 

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 02:02:51 PM »
I hold a different "policy" than Tom D, likely a result of my background in branding and design for clients such as Disney, Hilton, NewsCorp, AT&T and many smaller entities. When I first began doodling courses as a 10 year old kid, I named the holes AND the courses. One was Hinterland Castle.

We've had good success with naming. Probably as many as a dozen built courses thus far — including many club crests and logos. Occasionally we "miss the mark", and I've learned to crawl back to my "day job" and move on. One was "Old Man West" ...eventually named The Hideout (Utah), and while not original, probably a better choice. (Old Man West came from a hermit who lived on the property for 20+ years...he was known as "Old Man West" based on both being old and also living on the west side of the ranch.)

Here's a link to some of what we've done over the years in this lane: 
http://www.golfgroupltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/RD-Golf-Branding-Marketing.pdf
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 02:13:01 PM »
they pick the name, and I make sure the course makes it a worthy one by being a worthy course.  I mean, is "Pine Valley" really that great a name or is it now because of it's association with the course?

That's really all you can do I'd figure. And yes, Pine Valley (to the extent that it's a cool name) is cool because the course is great.

That said, I think a name is still important. Compare Stoatin Brae with the more typical (say) The Prairie Course at Gull Lake View or something to that effect. I'm not certain that the more common type of name would increase my desire to go there.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2023, 02:37:14 PM »
I used to think golfers would complain about anything. Now I think they will complain about everything. ;)

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2023, 02:44:43 PM »

Trots Farm...could work on multiple levels!

The venerable "Rat & Trumpet Club" takes the piss pretty well also.  :)

Good one by the way!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2023, 05:42:20 PM »
A personal favorite is the West Links at North Berwick because there is no East Links. I am sure that there is an interesting backstory.

Ira

Maybe there's an East Links that just happens to not have a golf course on it?

Ahem…
https://www.glengolfclub.co.uk/
Cheers,
F.

So the North Berwick Golf Club is on the West Links and the Glen Golf Club is on the East Links?

The West Links are also home to the Tantallon Club. They have their own clubhouse to the rear of the NB Club. Simple!

Well it would be that simple if only The West Links wasn't also home to North Berwick Ladies Golf Club and The Bass Rock Club! ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2023, 06:54:13 PM »
Opened the Insta account, Cabot Citrus Farms photo was staring back at me. Oy vey.

The Ladies is no more. It combined with the (New) North Berwick GC which is the second oldest club in town. Their marketing date is a scam as you well know.

The East Links (misnomer) is the putting course, tennis courts and Glen GC.

Stoatin Brae makes sense for a course in Kzoo County if said county was in Scotland . If they wanted to get cute, why not use the language of the Native American tribe which previously occupied the land? Shit, Big Hill is a better name than pretentious Stoatin Brae.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 07:14:51 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

mike_beene

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2023, 11:13:00 PM »
Country Club of Jackson should be Jackson Country Club.
But names are difficult. Ask the  Washington Commanders and Cleveland Guardians.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 08:54:05 PM »
Wasn't St Patricks on the land of Magheremagorgan Links by Eddie Hackett - which is a unique name and hard to pronounce! and the Tra Mor Links by Joanne O-Haire. Aren't they local names? - calling Donal!

St Patricks is relatively straightforward and easier to pronounce.
I have to say not a wow name or unique name related to things locally.

That's correct Ben. The "Trá Mór" means the large/big beach. You'll find several Trá Mór instances throughout Ireland, and even  Tramore Golf Club.  Here's an explanation for Magheramagorgan: Machaire Mhic Shamhradháin/Magheramagorgan | logainm.ie

There is a St. Patrick's Golf Club, which used to be called Downpatrick Golf Club. I think think they changed name in the last 20 years.

I didn’t know about the “other” St Patrick’s GC when we started.  I hope no one goes there by mistake!  :D

But we sure as hell weren’t going to give the course a name that no one can pronounce.  If Joe Biden had to pronounce Magheramagorgan he would just keel over.

As for Stoatin Brae, the client who picked the name has passed away, so I think that one is locked in.  They are not marketing to people who live in Scotland, so it’s probably okay as it is.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2023, 06:00:59 PM »
they were going to name it after an old council person, which I didn't feel was appropriate

I'm strongly opposed to naming things after people.  A muni in LA is named after a guy who shot his wife in the head.

I've never understood why we try to memorialize people, and think I have a pretty clear picture why someone wants to have their name brandished across something.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2023, 06:35:42 PM »
Being from CA I love the Spanish names like Pasatiempo, Palos Verdes, La Purisima, La Contenta, La Quinta and Rancho Murieta.
Also if the course has something unique about it like Torrey Pines it is cool. 8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:49:52 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

archie_struthers

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2023, 08:21:50 PM »
 :P

For me it was pretty easy !   As you would have to be nuts to build crazy dune fields on a flat piece of ground in NJ.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back