News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Cupit

Michael Riley Design to renovate Idle Hour in Georgia
« on: March 28, 2023, 07:51:38 PM »
So I am as biased as they come since Mike completely remodeled my course back in 2006 and it has been a home run, but now he will be doing work at Idle Hour Golf & Country Club in Macon and I am certain it will be awesome.

The club is re-doing irrigation, re-grassing fairways and tees and re-doing greens and bunkers.  I think there are some plans to alter several holes a bit though I am not exactly sure the scope of work.  The original course from 1912 featured an old horse track that Mike plans to bring back to life on the sixth hole.

As I mentioned the course dates to 1912 and most Georgia folks are aware that is is a great club with tons of history.  They hosted eight state ams and have produced lots of great players from the Macon area (middle of the state).

I am excited for Mike and look forward to seeing the progress.  Many may not know Mike's work but aside from my club he designed Crooked Creek and Governor's Town Club in Atlanta, Reunion northeast of town and re-did The Standard Club years ago.  He also has worked with Atlanta CC for many years.  He is an old school "dirt guy" who is incredibly creative and talented.  His bunker work and green complexes get rave reviews from his colleagues and I can't wait to see what he does with Idle Hour.  Here is the club's website.  www.idlehourclub.com

If I can I will see if Mike can share his exact plans for the club but the tiny bit I know sounds incredible. 

Edward Glidewell

Re: Michael Riley Design to renovate Idle Hour in Georgia
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 07:53:56 PM »
I've played Idle Hour a couple of times -- very interested to see how this turns out.

Phil Young

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 01:11:13 AM »
Chris, just because you own Rivermont doesn't make you biased to recognize the fabulous job that Mike did with the course. It is the perfect blend of fun and challenge for those who play the game at every level. The green complexes are fabulous. The proof will be seen once again when it hosts the Georgia Amateur Championship this July.

There can be no doubt that Mike will reveal the true fun and challenge in Idle Hour when he is finished. I am looking forward to seeing it when it is done.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 01:17:25 AM by Phil Young »

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 06:40:47 AM »
Chris, just because you own Rivermont doesn't make you biased to recognize the fabulous job that Mike did with the course. It is the perfect blend of fun and challenge for those who play the game at every level. The green complexes are fabulous. The proof will be seen once again when it hosts the Georgia Amateur Championship this July.

There can be no doubt that Mike will reveal the true fun and challenge in Idle Hour when he is finished. I am looking forward to seeing it when it is done.

Phil-When I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought of Rivermont as Mike Riley did a terrific job. Idle Hour is in good hands.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 09:26:23 AM »
I think Mike Riley will do a great job for Idle Hour, just as he has done everywhere he’s worked.  Idle Hour is a wonderful old club, and a fresh face on their golf course is exciting.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back