News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Frey, PGA

Northwest Angle
« on: July 20, 2023, 01:12:46 PM »
My bride and I are traveling to International Falls, Minn., next week to stay with some friends and enjoy some R&R. I only have a couple of rounds set up, in Duluth and Biwabik, but I just discovered the Northwest Angle Country Club about three hours away in Angle Inlet.

I've always been interested in visiting the Northwest Angle, the U.S. exclave only accessible by road via Canada, but never had a reason, nor was I ever very close. From the aerial, and being familiar with rural golf in the U.S. north country, I'm sure it's a pretty basic layout, but the bonus is that seven of their nine greens are sand greens! I have never had the chance to play on sand greens, and that's enough for me to make the three-hour drive. Plus, I'm sure it has the distinction of being the northernmost golf course in the contiguous United States.

I am curious if anyone has ever visited and played the golf course there? What was your experience like? Do you know who built the course?

Thank you in advance for any information!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 02:10:37 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Northwest Angle
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 08:08:17 PM »
Can it be counted as part of the “contiguous” US?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 08:13:54 PM »

It is contiguous because it’s connected by US waters I believe. One just can’t get there by road without passing into Canada. I believe one could get there by boat without leaving the US.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 08:30:39 PM »

Guess you'd have to DQ all those courses on Long Island too?   ;)

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 07:34:09 AM »
There is nothing like a good old-fashioned border irregularity, and the Northwest Angle is one of my favorites.

Border irregularities of the United States - Wikipedia

But I had no idea there was a golf course there!

Matt, you're a more dedicated GCAer than I am - interesting as it sounds, I wouldn't drive three hours out of my way to play there. But let us know what you find.

I'm in Gaylord Michigan at the moment, up around the 45th parallel but still 4 short of the Northwest Angle's 49. Beautiful time of year to be up in these parts!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 08:31:31 PM »
I bet the black flies (No-seeums) are brutal.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jeff Kallberg

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 09:59:49 PM »
If you're going to be collecting such golf courses, you probably need also to visit Aroostook Valley Country Club:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroostook_Valley_Country_Club

Jeff Kallberg

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 10:17:07 PM »
If you're going to be collecting such golf courses, you probably need also to visit Aroostook Valley Country Club:

Looks like we can also add Grand Golf, just down the road to that list.
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 12:47:33 PM »
Did you ever make it to the Northwest Angle?

Curious to hear your thoughts on the course you if you did.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 02:52:03 PM »
Point Roberts, WA, just south of Vancouver is similar. It has a golf courses but that course is currently closed.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 01:12:10 PM »
We are now home in the Philadelphia area following our visit to Minnesota last week, and I was fortunate to play 63 holes of golf at the two Giants Ridge courses in Biwabik, Northland in Duluth, and the Northwest Angle, in addition to enjoying some much needed R&R.

The trek to the Northwest Angle from Rainy Lake was long (over three hours), but not overly difficult. As always, it was easier to enter Canada than it was to get back into the States. After passing through the tiny town of Sprague, Manitoba, the last 25 miles or so of the drive is on provincial and county gravel roads, but they were in good shape. The only bit of confusion came at the Jim's Corner reporting station, as there were multiple sets of directions from the Canadian and U.S. governments, asking visitors to use a direct-line phone, check-in via an iPad station, call in from their mobile, or download mobile apps. I used the iPad and it took about 10 or 15 minutes for my submission to be cleared; in all, it wasn't any longer a wait than at a typical U.S. border crossing.

Upon arrival at the Northwest Angle course, the small clubhouse was locked, but a woman who appeared to be working at the convenience store across the street hollered to leave the $10 greens fee in the honor box. Loved it!

The course itself was pretty much what I expected: a very simple homemade course on flat land, but sand greens and the charm of the community make it special. The course is a par 33 and features six par-4s and three par-3s. The total yardage is 2,229 on the card, with holes ranging from 119 to 363 yards. There are seven sand greens and two grassed greens. General area was mowed at one height.

I was told that 2022 was a rough year for northern Minnesota due to significant flooding, as was evidenced by the sign marking the lake's high point last year, in the middle of the seventh hole, leaving around half of the property under water. While the sand greens appeared unaffected by the floods, the two grass greens were struggling, but that did not matter to me. Most of the sand greens had small heavy rollers (maybe 50 pounds?) to help smooth the line of putts. They were easy to use and do not require anyone to pick the entire device off the ground.

It was a cool experience and I'm glad I made the drive to the exclave to see it, as playing on sand greens has been a goal of mine for a long time. I can also now say I've played the northernmost golf course in the contiguous United States!

Some photos...

Entry into the Northwest Angle...click here

A Northwest Angle sand green...click here

Two of the few bunkers on the course...click here

A sand green at green level...click here
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 01:14:25 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 02:33:00 PM »
What a fun adventure!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 03:18:15 PM »
Beautiful, man!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 05:43:37 PM »
This would also have to be the northernmost course in the lower 48 of the US as it is the only one above the 49th parallel

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 09:26:51 AM »
Great report, Matt!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2023, 08:03:34 AM »
I played on sand greens in Jamestown, ND in 1968. I surprised how well they rolled and how true they putted.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2023, 02:07:31 PM »
We are now home in the Philadelphia area following our visit to Minnesota last week, and I was fortunate to play 63 holes of golf at the two Giants Ridge courses in Biwabik, Northland in Duluth, and the Northwest Angle, in addition to enjoying some much needed R&R.

The trek to the Northwest Angle from Rainy Lake was long (over three hours), but not overly difficult. As always, it was easier to enter Canada than it was to get back into the States. After passing through the tiny town of Sprague, Manitoba, the last 25 miles or so of the drive is on provincial and county gravel roads, but they were in good shape. The only bit of confusion came at the Jim's Corner reporting station, as there were multiple sets of directions from the Canadian and U.S. governments, asking visitors to use a direct-line phone, check-in via an iPad station, call in from their mobile, or download mobile apps. I used the iPad and it took about 10 or 15 minutes for my submission to be cleared; in all, it wasn't any longer a wait than at a typical U.S. border crossing.

Upon arrival at the Northwest Angle course, the small clubhouse was locked, but a woman who appeared to be working at the convenience store across the street hollered to leave the $10 greens fee in the honor box. Loved it!

The course itself was pretty much what I expected: a very simple homemade course on flat land, but sand greens and the charm of the community make it special. The course is a par 33 and features six par-4s and three par-3s. The total yardage is 2,229 on the card, with holes ranging from 119 to 363 yards. There are seven sand greens and two grassed greens. General area was mowed at one height.

I was told that 2022 was a rough year for northern Minnesota due to significant flooding, as was evidenced by the sign marking the lake's high point last year, in the middle of the seventh hole, leaving around half of the property under water. While the sand greens appeared unaffected by the floods, the two grass greens were struggling, but that did not matter to me. Most of the sand greens had small heavy rollers (maybe 50 pounds?) to help smooth the line of putts. They were easy to use and do not require anyone to pick the entire device off the ground.

It was a cool experience and I'm glad I made the drive to the exclave to see it, as playing on sand greens has been a goal of mine for a long time. I can also now say I've played the northernmost golf course in the contiguous United States!

Some photos...

Entry into the Northwest Angle...click here

A Northwest Angle sand green...click here

Two of the few bunkers on the course...click here

A sand green at green level...click here

Great write up.

I am at Rainy Lake until the end of the month so, after reading your review, I too will be making the 3 hour drive to play the course.

JLahrman

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2023, 04:48:22 PM »
I gotta say, those sand greens look a lot sandier than I was expecting.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2023, 02:05:06 PM »
I am at Rainy Lake until the end of the month so, after reading your review, I too will be making the 3 hour drive to play the course.

Enjoy! Let us know how your trip goes!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back