News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Rost

Portmarnock Hotel Course Reconstruction
« on: March 27, 2023, 02:21:21 PM »

Curious if anyone has any insight on this project?   I'm headed over in June and playing here the last day of my trip.  I played there about 10 years ago and found it fine/enjoyable at the time, though i don't remember many specifics.  Seems like they're undertaking a pretty serious renovation.  Thanks in advance!

https://golfbusinessnews.com/news/courses/portmarnock-hotel-golf-links-to-carry-out-major-course-renovation-project/

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Portmarnock Hotel Course Reconstruction
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 03:08:05 PM »

I wonder how many poor saps have booked themselves at this place thinking they were to play THE Portmarnock just a few miles down the road....?... ;D

The hotel is just fine, actually. Great breakfast, reasonable prices, good beds....and just a 4 minute drive to the REAL Portmarnock.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 04:27:37 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 05:28:57 PM »
When I saw the plan, I thought that the brief must have simply been “give us as many sea views as possible”.

But I’m sure Jeff Lynch will give us something interesting. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 07:20:36 PM »
Any updates? I have high expectations for this project. The original course had some good bones and some not so good bones.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 08:06:59 PM »

Curious if anyone has any insight on this project?   I'm headed over in June and playing here the last day of my trip.  I played there about 10 years ago and found it fine/enjoyable at the time, though i don't remember many specifics.  Seems like they're undertaking a pretty serious renovation.  Thanks in advance!

https://golfbusinessnews.com/news/courses/portmarnock-hotel-golf-links-to-carry-out-major-course-renovation-project/
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 04:25:58 AM »
Any updates? I have high expectations for this project. The original course had some good bones and some not so good bones.

Ciao

I have played it. Jeff Lynch is a good architect and there is far more artistry put in to the six holes he’s worked on, perhaps too much artistry as it can - at times - appear a little bit over-designed for the site. I also am not convinced the two new par-3’s work.

But some really funky stuff, touch points for GCA snobs to identify with.

Plus it was the first time I’d been back in about 10 years and Fintan Brennan has done wonders with the presentation and rough management. The first few inland holes have matured well over 30 years and feel much more connected and part of the whole than they used to.

Impressive course.

Mike Rost

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 03:16:07 PM »
We really enjoyed it, having been beaten up by the European Club for 36 holes the previous day.  It works great for a departure date round, leaving enough time for a shower, beer and burger before heading out.  There seems to be more work set up for next off-season (i think a new 17th hole).  The bunkers were outstanding, having found too many of them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back