News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

ChatGPT vs. Google Bard on great golf course architecture
« on: March 26, 2023, 05:56:59 PM »

No idea if this is of interest to anyone, but these were the first queries I had for my new, artificial friends.

ChapGPT: what are the principles of great golf course architecture

There are several principles of great golf course architecture that can help create an enjoyable and challenging golfing experience:

Maximizing the natural features of the land: A great golf course should enhance the natural beauty of the landscape and work with the contours and features of the land.

Strategic use of hazards: Hazards such as bunkers, water hazards, and trees should be strategically placed to challenge golfers of all skill levels and create interesting shot options.

Varied hole design: A great golf course should offer a variety of hole designs, including short and long holes, doglegs, and holes with varying degrees of difficulty.

Balance and flow: The course should have a good balance of holes in terms of difficulty, par, and length. The routing of the course should also flow naturally and logically.

Accessibility: The course should be designed to be accessible to all golfers, including beginners, seniors, and those with physical disabilities.

Sustainability: Great golf course architecture considers environmental sustainability, such as minimizing water usage and preserving natural habitats.

Playability: A great golf course should be enjoyable to play, providing challenges for skilled golfers while still being playable for less experienced players.

Overall, the principles of great golf course architecture focus on creating a course that is both challenging and enjoyable for all golfers, while also being in harmony with the natural environment.

Google Bard: what are the principles of great golf architecture

Here are some of the principles of great golf architecture:

Creativity: Great golf architects are creative thinkers who are able to come up with new and innovative ideas.

Technical mastery: Great golf architects have a deep understanding of the technical aspects of golf course design.

Visual appeal: Great golf courses are visually appealing and offer stunning views of the surrounding landscape.

Challenge: Great golf courses are challenging and require golfers of all skill levels to use their full range of skills.

Variety: Great golf courses offer a variety of different hole types, so that golfers never get bored playing the same holes over and over again.

Fun: Great golf courses are fun to play and offer a sense of enjoyment for golfers of all skill levels.

Sustainability: Great golf courses are designed to be sustainable and environmentally friendly.

Accessibility: Great golf courses are accessible to golfers of all abilities, including those with disabilities.

These are just some of the principles that great golf architects adhere to when designing golf courses. By following these principles, architects can create golf courses that are both challenging and enjoyable for golfers of all skill levels.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 12:17:41 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tom_Doak

Re: ChatGPT vs. Google Bard on great golf course architecture
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 06:29:15 PM »
Well, it has always been easier to say the right things than it is to do them.  I guess now you can just automate that part of the process.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 07:03:36 PM »
8)  Very artificial intelligence indeed...

Accessibility: Great golf courses are accessible to golfers of all abilities, including those with disabilities.[size=100pt][/size]
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 07:28:39 AM »
I put ChatGPT to the test recently to see if my days as a golf writer are numbered.  I asked it for a brief history of Eisenhower Park.  The results were...interesting.

Did anyone else know Dwight Eisenhower was born and raised in Garden City, NY?  Not sure where it pulled that nugget from.

The good news is that my editing business should be in fine shape as more AI content needs to be reviewed and fact-checked.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 08:23:05 AM »

No idea if this is of interest to anyone, but these were the first queries I had for my new, artificial friends.

There are several principles of great golf course architecture that can help create an enjoyable and challenging golfing experience:

Maximizing the natural features of the land: A great golf course should enhance the natural beauty of the landscape and work with the contours and features of the land.

Strategic use of hazards: Hazards such as bunkers, water hazards, and trees should be strategically placed to challenge golfers of all skill levels and create interesting shot options.

Varied hole design: A great golf course should offer a variety of hole designs, including short and long holes, doglegs, and holes with varying degrees of difficulty.

Balance and flow: The course should have a good balance of holes in terms of difficulty, par, and length. The routing of the course should also flow naturally and logically.

Accessibility: The course should be designed to be accessible to all golfers, including beginners, seniors, and those with physical disabilities.

Sustainability: Great golf course architecture considers environmental sustainability, such as minimizing water usage and preserving natural habitats.

Playability: A great golf course should be enjoyable to play, providing challenges for skilled golfers while still being playable for less experienced players.

Overall, the principles of great golf course architecture focus on creating a course that is both challenging and enjoyable for all golfers, while also being in harmony with the natural environment.

Creativity: Great golf architects are creative thinkers who are able to come up with new and innovative ideas.

Technical mastery: Great golf architects have a deep understanding of the technical aspects of golf course design.

Visual appeal: Great golf courses are visually appealing and offer stunning views of the surrounding landscape.

Challenge: Great golf courses are challenging and require golfers of all skill levels to use their full range of skills.

Variety: Great golf courses offer a variety of different hole types, so that golfers never get bored playing the same holes over and over again.

Fun: Great golf courses are fun to play and offer a sense of enjoyment for golfers of all skill levels.

Sustainability: Great golf courses are designed to be sustainable and environmentally friendly.

Accessibility: Great golf courses are accessible to golfers of all abilities, including those with disabilities.

These are just some of the principles that great golf architects adhere to when designing golf courses. By following these principles, architects can create golf courses that are both challenging and enjoyable for golfers of all skill levels.
Can't any of you technical wizards on this site fix the damn cut & paste function so it doesn’t miniaturize everything. ???
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 08:29:32 AM »
Can't any of you technical wizards on this site fix the damn cut & paste function so it doesn’t miniaturize everything. ???
Ran (et al) seem to have little interest in doing much maintenance. As of right now this site uses SMF 2.0.19. I don't know that upgrading the newest release (2.1.3) would help with this, but 2.0.19 dates back to December, 2021. 2.1.3 dates to November, 2022.

https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/smf-2-0-19-released.154154/
https://simplemachines.org/

Edit to add: this small text (and other things) have been issues since well before 2021, too, so I don't think that updating would necessarily fix it. I'm just using the lack of updates to say that it seems that site maintenance is low on the list of priorities. Likely justifiably so, but low all the same.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:39:42 AM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 09:33:54 AM »

Either use toggle view and paste, or paste without formatting.

Back to the subject. I've found ChatGPT & Bard to be very helpful tools, but they are very much crap in crap out tools. So if you have 20 minutes to write a great propmt, more like an outline of requested information, and the output you're expecting would take you 2 hours to produce, its worth it.

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 10:13:06 AM »
Just like any AI/ML tool, much depends on the data that goes into it. Model development and tuning are of course important as well, but if the data is garbage then the model predictions likely will be too.

However, it's interesting to compare the output of tools like ChatGPT to the manual/human-driven outcomes. In other words, we could ask experts to answer "What are the principles of great golf architecture?". How would the results compare to what ChatGPT produces, comparing ChatGPT to either the individual or aggregated responses of the humans?

When self-driving cars have accidents, they get a lot of attention, especially the ones that have caused fatalities. And they should. But the other question is, how does the accident rate of self-driving cars compare to the accident rate of human-operated cars?

I enjoy watching John Oliver, and he did a piece on AI a few weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqa8Zo2XWc4

It's NSFW, if you're not familiar with John.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 12:19:03 PM »
Sorry, lads.

It didn't even occur to me that it would sh!te the bed when I pasted it in.

As we all know, it only happens here!
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back