News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Probably OT - Naming New Golf Courses
« on: March 24, 2023, 09:29:20 AM »
On the new Cabot Highlands course thread there was some adverse comments on the naming of the course (for those that aren't aware it used to be known as Castle Stuart) or I suppose to be more exact the branding as a Cabot course. Rather than derail a thread on the development of the new course any further I thought best to bring the naming of new courses into a separate thread.

The main objection to the naming of Castle Stuart, sorry Cabot Highlands, seemed to be was naming it as part of a chain ie. Trump Bedminster, Trump Turnberry etc. Donal also expressed a preference to see the course named after the place/local landmark which I have to say I'm in favour of as well. Of course that works OK as long as the course isn't built on Dung Hill or Boghead Farm.

Perhaps you like your course name to have a Scottish tinge or maybe Highland Glen Country Club sounds a bit too hokey ? Certainly I think I'd make a point of NOT playing Stoatin Brae just because of the name. Then there is naming the course with a nod to a classic course ie. Muirfield Village, but maybe that just invites unkind comparisons ?

Clearly, it's a tricky business naming a new course, but I'm sure the combined brains trust of GCA will come up with the right formula. Here's hoping !

Niall

Tom_Doak

Re: Probably OT - Naming New Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 10:04:48 AM »
Names are hard!  Best example:  for the first several months of construction, Pacific Dunes was slated to be called Sand Valley, which did not capture its merits at all . . . but it took a visitor to say "why don't you name it after that ocean?" for everyone to suddenly catch on.

When we were building Old Macdonald, everyone thought the name was silly [because of the nursery rhyme] and it would hold the course back . . . but I said then that if the course was good enough, the name would be fine, and I think that worked out.

I've also learned that it's the client's business, not mine.  There are at least three or four of my courses that have names I don't really like, but unless you can come up with something better, it's wise to hold one's tongue.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 10:04:53 AM »
This is a cool topic. It's got to be tough to do well, simply owing to all the fairly lame golf course names out there.
When my family were thinking about building a course a long time back, I had dozens of possibilities written down in a notebook. Didn't really like any of them a whole lot.

In the end, the best policy is probably to tie it to the sense of place in some way. Yes, a lot of these names will be somewhat ho-hum, but better that than outright embarrassing. My favorite course name (and logo) is Mid Ocean Club.

If you want to be cool, and your course is a club, leave off both "country" and "golf" like Mid Ocean Club or Cypress Point Club, much cooler.  ;)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Will Lozier

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 10:12:05 AM »
Certainly I think I'd make a point of NOT playing Stoatin Brae just because of the name.

I think this is actually a pretty cool name...and judge this declaration to be pretty silly.

Cheers

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 10:16:58 AM »
Pacific Dunes was slated to be called Sand Valley

I believe it, but wow, it was right there!

Maybe what we need is one of those setups where your golf course name is chosen based on your birth month and the first letter of your middle name. (You could end up with Moon Moon Golf Club!)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 10:35:38 AM »
Certainly I think I'd make a point of NOT playing Stoatin Brae just because of the name.

I think this is actually a pretty cool name...and judge this declaration to be pretty silly.

Cheers

Will

I strongly suspect you're not Scottish and have no idea what the words mean. I do confess though, not playing a course because of the name is perhaps overkill but trust me, if you're Scottish it's really very naff.

Niall

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 10:42:21 AM »

Cheers

Will

I strongly suspect you're not Scottish and have no idea what the words mean. I do confess though, not playing a course because of the name is perhaps overkill but trust me, if you're Scottish it's really very naff.

Niall

What does it mean then?

Also, what is/are your favorite course name(s)?

Marty Bonnar

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 10:44:25 AM »
I like course names relevant to the area. 'Americanised' or brand names not really. 'Turnberry' is better than 'Trump Turnberry'

Rutland Water Golf Club has two courses named Hambleton course and Normanton course dedicated to villages that disappeared when the lake was built in the mid 1970s. Hambleton course has holes facing Upper Hambleton and the Normanton course has some holes facing Normanton church which is part flooded by the water.

https://www.discover-rutland.co.uk/listing/normanton-church/

Local people refer RWGC as Manton as its near Manton village.

Most true Wales rugby fans call the Principality Stadium (formerly Millienium Stadium) 'the Arms Park' probably likewise for Irish rugby fans refer Aviva Stadium as Landsdowne.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:47:00 AM by Ben Stephens »

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 10:44:58 AM »

When we were building Old Macdonald, everyone thought the name was silly [because of the nursery rhyme] and it would hold the course back . . . but I said then that if the course was good enough, the name would be fine, and I think that worked out.

Tom

Totally agree. Over a period of time the course and the name become almost synonymous. Harking back to the Muirfield example, when you think of the derivation of the name it isn't very inspiring but mention it now to a golfer and it simply conjures up the image of a great course.

Niall

Will Lozier

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 11:27:29 AM »

Cheers

Will

Niall

Niall,

You are correct. But I do know what it means and it seems to fit the property on which the course has been built. I get the criticism of giving a Scottish name to an American course and I am not a fan of the brand involved in the name - and I HATE the flippant use of "Links" on 99% of those using that word in their name - but I don't find Stoatin Brae to be so offensive.

Are you sure that is the correct use of "naff"?  ;)

Cheers,
Will
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 03:14:48 PM by Will Lozier »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 11:45:48 AM »
A personal favorite is the West Links at North Berwick because there is no East Links. I am sure that there is an interesting backstory.

Ira

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 11:50:20 AM »
A personal favorite is the West Links at North Berwick because there is no East Links. I am sure that there is an interesting backstory.

Ira

Maybe there's an East Links that just happens to not have a golf course on it?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 11:57:13 AM »
Tom's correct, names are hard.

Naming a new course at a new property is challenging because the paper you start with is blank. Naming a new course at an existing property is either significantly easier or significantly harder because the paper you start with is no longer blank.

When I work with clients on developing an identity for a new course, there is a strong emphasis on developing sense of place for the property. Grounding the course identity to the place makes it easier to position and market the course and develop stronger brand appreciation with the final customer. Often this starts off with factors such as geography, history, ecology, etc.. But a sense of place can also be experiential or spiritually based, especially if the client is wanting to create a specific tone around the course.

If the new course will operate under an already existing umbrella, a portion of the courses place has already been established. From a branding perspective, there needs to be a good reason to move away from from that branding convention. Thus, why the bulk of the Cabot courses are all named similarly.

Are the Cabot names groundbreaking? Do they generate an emotional response that drives action? Not so much.
Are the Easy to understand? Is there an expected level of quality that is derived from the name? Yes

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 12:00:19 PM »

Ira

Ahem…
https://www.glengolfclub.co.uk/
Cheers,
F.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 12:09:17 PM »
Wasn't St Patricks on the land of Magheremagorgan Links by Eddie Hackett - which is a unique name and hard to pronounce! and the Tra Mor Links by Joanne O-Haire. Aren't they local names? - calling Donal!

St Patricks is relatively straightforward and easier to pronounce.
I have to say not a wow name or unique name related to things locally.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 12:17:53 PM by Ben Stephens »

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2023, 12:17:56 PM »

Ira

Ahem…
Cheers,
F.

So the North Berwick Golf Club is on the West Links and the Glen Golf Club is on the East Links?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2023, 12:20:22 PM »
Stoatin Brae gets on my wick because the club claims it is Gaelic, which it clearly isn't -- it is Lowland Scots. I've explained this in great detail to the guy who does their PR, but it doesn't seem to have got through, because the website still claims it is Gaelic.

I think it's a stupid, affected name anyway, but if you're going to be affected, at least be accurate.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 12:30:27 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2023, 12:29:57 PM »
With regards North Berwick, I understand the area before you get to the Glen GC was/is the East Links and golf was indeed played on it at one point.

Niall

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2023, 12:31:00 PM »
Whenever someone tells me they played Portmarnock Links, they invariably follow it up with a comment of the form "no it wasn't the championship/famous/big course". They could have named it St. Marnock's Golf Club, as the 6th century church is on the site. They probably wouldn't be able to avoid comparisons totally, especially when you have such an established course next door, but it could have lessened the now obligatory clarification every time. The follow-up comment in this case could have been a bit less negative, i.e. "the course next to Portmarnock Golf Club".

Or better still, call it Jameson's, as I believe the distiller John Jameson had some connection to the site, and may have lived in the old house, which is now part of the hotel.

I'm also not a fan of naming courses by colour, for example when you have 27/36/54/.., etc holes on the same property. I just can never remember the colour. I think Portmarnock's third nine is yellow, but I'm not sure.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 12:31:38 PM »
if you're going to be affected, at least be accurate.

That's the key isn't it.

Another one I've always liked was Myopia. Makes me glad that the founders had bad eyesight rather than IBS or something.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2023, 12:33:13 PM »

Ira

Ahem…
Cheers,
F.

So the North Berwick Golf Club is on the West Links and the Glen Golf Club is on the East Links?

The West Links are also home to the Tantallon Club. They have their own clubhouse to the rear of the NB Club. Simple!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2023, 12:37:38 PM »
if you're going to be affected, at least be accurate.

That's the key isn't it.

Another one I've always liked was Myopia. Makes me glad that the founders had bad eyesight rather than IBS or something.

Trots Farm...could work on multiple levels!

The venerable "Rat & Trumpet Club" takes the piss pretty well also.  :)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2023, 12:56:25 PM »
Stoatin Brae gets on my wick because the club claims it is Gaelic, which it clearly isn't -- it is Lowland Scots. I've explained this in great detail to the guy who does their PR, but it doesn't seem to have got through, because the website still claims it is Gaelic.

I think it's a stupid, affected name anyway, but if you're going to be affected, at least be accurate.

Adam,

I wish it was limited to just this...I can deal with a name.

But my pet peeve is the endless courses over here that describe themselves as "Scottish Links" because it mostly comprises open areas with little to no trees. Never mind the course plays thru housing tracts with ponds, lush manicured rough, soft greens, etc, etc.  Ugggghh...

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2023, 01:09:06 PM »
Wasn't St Patricks on the land of Magheremagorgan Links by Eddie Hackett - which is a unique name and hard to pronounce! and the Tra Mor Links by Joanne O-Haire. Aren't they local names? - calling Donal!

St Patricks is relatively straightforward and easier to pronounce.
I have to say not a wow name or unique name related to things locally.

That's correct Ben. The "Trá Mór" means the large/big beach. You'll find several Trá Mór instances throughout Ireland, and even  Tramore Golf Club.  Here's an explanation for Magheramagorgan: Machaire Mhic Shamhradháin/Magheramagorgan | logainm.ie

There is a St. Patrick's Golf Club, which used to be called Downpatrick Golf Club. I think think they changed name in the last 20 years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back