News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jake McCarty

Childress, TX Doak & Hanse
« on: March 22, 2023, 10:42:58 AM »
Does anyone know much about the project? Will it be private, public, semi-private, etc? Really nice area and close to home. Is the appeal mainly to Midland-Odessa, where the big money is in TX? If so, I'd assume they're building an airstrip, whereas the DFW folk would drive?

Ben Sims

Re: Childress, TX Doak & Hanse
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 11:02:28 AM »
I haven’t heard of this project. Interesting location.

Midland is actually further away than Amarillo, Lubbock, DFW, and OKC, AMA being just less than two hours away. It’s pretty close to a former duty station, Altus AFB. I’ve flown more low levels and airdrops in that area than I care to count. There’s a number of impressive sandy areas near the Red River and I’ve built my share of golf holes in my head when staring out the window in that part of the world.

The issue is the climate. The shoulder seasons can be magic in the spring and fall. In the summer it’s hot as blazes. And in the winter there’s only a string of barbwire between you and Canada, and it’s down.

Jake McCarty

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 11:18:07 AM »
Hey Ben,

Thank you! Living in West Texas I have a pretty good idea where the cities are as well as the weather patterns, including wind. .
The elevation is only 1900 feet, so it would get hot in the summer but the mornings and evenings are quite pleasant. I'm not sure how humid it is or how windy it gets during the spring.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 08:56:44 PM by Jake McCarty »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 11:44:24 AM »
It’s to be a private club.  The thought is that it’s a sand hills type destination with a much longer season - they will probably close for 2-3 months in summer but keep it open all winter.  (Yes, there are cold snaps when no one will play, but also a lot of days in the 50s and even the 60s.)

There’s a very good airstrip a few minutes away, so they won’t need to build one.

They are thinking it’s primarily a Texas club but if they are right about the golf season it might appeal to some people further north.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 11:46:30 AM »

The issue is the climate. The shoulder seasons can be magic in the spring and fall. In the summer it’s hot as blazes. And in the winter there’s only a string of barbwire between you and Canada, and it’s down.

I'm guessing Texas would have a lot fewer complaints if it bordered Canada instead of Mexico..  ;)

Charlie Ray

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 12:24:02 PM »
Beings that this a private destination club, I assume that this is not the rumored Keiser Texas Project?  Are there any projects in the works East of DFW or Houston in the Pineywoods of Texas? 

Jake McCarty

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 12:51:28 PM »
It’s to be a private club.  The thought is that it’s a sand hills type destination with a much longer season - they will probably close for 2-3 months in summer but keep it open all winter.  (Yes, there are cold snaps when no one will play, but also a lot of days in the 50s and even the 60s.)

There’s a very good airstrip a few minutes away, so they won’t need to build one.

They are thinking it’s primarily a Texas club but if they are right about the golf season it might appeal to some people further north.

Sounds really neat. When they start releasing information I'll certainly look into the option. Are there going to be two courses built together or one first? Or wait and see?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 01:23:57 PM »
Are there going to be two courses built together or one first? Or wait and see?

Mine first, starting this fall.  I think they are going to wait two years to start the second course.  Might build a par-3 course in between.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 01:26:24 PM »
Beings that this a private destination club, I assume that this is not the rumored Keiser Texas Project?  Are there any projects in the works East of DFW or Houston in the Pineywoods of Texas?

I suppose Michael will talk about his project when he’s ready.  He’s not involved in Childress.

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 03:30:49 PM »
Hey Ben,

Living in West Texas I have a pretty good idea where the cities are as well as the weather patterns, including wind. I meant that it's more that Midland has the big $$ where private jets are pretty common. One Midland member at one of our clubs purchased the nearby municipal airport so that they could extend the runway to land his GS. And he probably drives a 15 year old pickup...

The elevation is only 1900 feet, so it would get hot in the summer but the mornings and evenings are quite pleasant. I'm not sure how humid it is or how windy it gets during the spring.

Fair point. Perhaps my time in Altus jades me. I hope it’s a smash success cause that part of the country could certainly use another top notch course, even if it’s private.

I saw oodles of great dunescape in that part of the world and never could quite wrap my head around who would come or when they would play. Glad someone decided to make a go of it.

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 06:20:03 PM »
I asked around today at the club and no one seems to know anything about this project. I am usually the last to know anything, but usually someone knows something. Is there any information out there? This sounds very interesting.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 06:34:13 PM »
I asked around today at the club and no one seems to know anything about this project. I am usually the last to know anything, but usually someone knows something. Is there any information out there? This sounds very interesting.

It’s early yet; we won’t break ground until October, and I don’t think the client is in a great hurry to sell his memberships.

It’s actually nice to have a client who isn’t putting out press releases.  Between Pinehurst, Cabot Highlands and High Pointe, I’ve done an awful lot of interviews the past few months.

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 06:49:23 PM »
Interesting. Several people assumed I was talking about Red Feather up by Lubbock which I think opens pretty soon.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 09:05:29 PM »
Interesting. Several people assumed I was talking about Red Feather up by Lubbock which I think opens pretty soon.

I’m guessing the two projects are aiming at slightly different demographics.  Our client grew up in Houston but his firm is based in NYC.

Not every project I work on is a top 100 contender.  That one is.

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 11:37:30 PM »
I imagine your land is more interesting than anything I can imagine around Lubbock ( but you know that!). And I am guessing the Childress deal would never work without a runway that can accept jets. Growing up in Dallas, west Texas was the vast ocean that separated us from the mountains. And there were not enough trees for a real golf course. And a place like Ballyneal was not in “real” Colorado.West Texas was sort of flyover country to a young redneck like me. Times and attitudes change.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 09:39:35 AM »
Are there going to be two courses built together or one first? Or wait and see?

Mine first, starting this fall.  I think they are going to wait two years to start the second course.  Might build a par-3 course in between.

Let me see if I get this right. Where is Tom Doak building courses in 2023?

Currently, Pinehurst no. 10, NC
April: Cabot Highlands, Inverness, Scotland
May: Sedge Valley, Sand Valley, Wisconsin.
July: New Highpoint, Michigan
October: Childress, Texas

What about the course in Florida? Other construction I forgot about?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 02:25:43 PM »
Yes, the one in south Florida will start in July.  And also you forgot Punta Brava, in Mexico.  They say it’s starting soon, but they’ve said that since last summer.

Hopefully, Pinehurst and Sedge Valley and most of High Pointe will be done, before TX or FL start.  And we can’t work at Cabot Highlands between October 1 and April 1 because of a bird habitat, so that’s a two year deal.

We will have lots of contenders to host the 2025 Renaissance Cup!

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2023, 01:37:40 PM »
Tom posted a photo on Instagram of what will be the 18th at his Childress Hall design in Texas. The land looks superb, with shades of Prairie Dunes and Ballyneal, yet dotted with a few trees as well.

That fronting ridge must be blinding the green site, because the white stake is partially visible yet TD says it's 10 ft tall! Reminds me a bit of Ballyneal 15. In addition to the rear hill's slope, I wonder if the green will have punchbowl characteristics.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cuzn0_lO2_D/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Instagram: mj_c_golf

mike_beene

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2023, 11:02:46 PM »
I want to know about the snake and spider situation before wandering too far out there. Looks spectacular!

David Wuthrich

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2023, 10:21:17 AM »
Yes, the one in south Florida will start in July.  And also you forgot Punta Brava, in Mexico.  They say it’s starting soon, but they’ve said that since last summer.

Hopefully, Pinehurst and Sedge Valley and most of High Pointe will be done, before TX or FL start.  And we can’t work at Cabot Highlands between October 1 and April 1 because of a bird habitat, so that’s a two year deal.

We will have lots of contenders to host the 2025 Renaissance Cup!

Renaissance Cup is always a great event and with courses like that, sure to be another sellout!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2023, 11:46:44 AM »
I want to know about the snake and spider situation before wandering too far out there. Looks spectacular!

And scorpions, don't forget the scorpions!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

mike_beene

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2023, 07:50:47 PM »
Scorpions are a definite add to the list. I am still traumatized by the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2023, 09:54:32 PM »

And scorpions, don't forget the scorpions!

Yikes, thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about the scorpions.

We didn't see any of the above on Sunday, but I know they are out there.

This was the first time Eric and I had been on property together.  He was supposed to come with me a year ago when I did the routing, but he had a bout of influenza, and Brian Zager came to help instead.  The purpose of our trip was to walk through details of the first few holes, so he could get something roughed in before I make my first construction visit.

We sorted out the details of the first seven holes in about four hours, and then just made a quick tour of the rest. We were both in very high spirits driving back to Dallas the next morning.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2023, 10:04:14 PM »
if you are older than dirt and an auto race fan the Midland oil museum has a great exhibit of mid 60s Chaparrals. The Jim Hall/Hap Sharp race team was based in Midland. I stopped by on the way to play the Rawls course in Lubbock.

Jim Hall wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hall_(racing_driver)

mike_beene

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2023, 11:34:19 PM »
I hope the Childress people talk to JSX about air service. They use Fixed Base Operators and a much better security and flight experience. It seems to work well to Lajitas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back