News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

The Life & Work of Alister MacKenzie
« on: March 21, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »

I seem to remember Mr Doak saying it would never be re-published?  :(

We are excited to announce that we are reprinting this wonderful book that Tom had published in 2001 with Sleeping Bear Press.

The printer had lost the files and had searched for years...and thankfully, finally found them.

This book is nearly impossible to find, so I would recommend getting your orders in quickly. We have a pre-publication price of $95 plus shipping.

Shipping late April '23

David_Tepper

Re: The Life & Work of Alister MacKenzie
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 11:20:15 AM »
Brian -

Is Sleeping Bear Press publishing the re-issue or is it being done by another publisher?

DT

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 11:29:06 AM »
Brian -

Is Sleeping Bear Press publishing the re-issue or is it being done by another publisher?

DT

It's being re-issued by me, since Sleeping Bear Press doesn't exist anymore.  [But the former publisher, Brian Lewis, works with me on my books.]

The original printing files had been lost for years at the printer.  There was enough demand that we told them we were ready to cannibalize my original copy of the book so they could scan it all and publish from that . . . but somehow during that process they found the lost file, so they didn't have to tear up my original copy.

I wish there had been an easy way to update the book a bit without starting over, but there really wasn't, and I don't have time to rewrite a book right now . . . so, we have just gone ahead and reprinted the original.  Apparently the demand was real, they are about half gone in the six hours since we sent out the announcement!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 12:57:09 PM »
Ordered! (And glad I checked this website today.)
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 01:32:44 PM »
I wish there had been an easy way to update the book a bit without starting over, but there really wasn't

I'm wondering if someone in the more technical side of publishing could explain why this would be the case. Because I've resurrected old manuals by just scanning them, using OCR and then pasting the results into my editor of choice (Framemaker in those cases) and then cropping and re-importing the images to give a nice, clean file. If there weren't a lot of images, it might be 8-hours work for 100 plus pages. I might be remembering with slightly rose-tinted glasses I suppose, but it wouldn't have been that hard a decade ago, when I last had to do something like that.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 02:05:50 PM »
In this case, with the original files, it's just a matter of time for rewriting and was Tom stated, he doesn't have it.

If those files were still missing, it would be a matter of rescanning the photos (if those were available) and effectively designing the book all over again. For a book with a wealth of color photos, a lot more complicated than a manual, that would be a major pain in the behind. The next option, as Tom mentioned, is rescanning a copy of the original book, which brings more technical gremlins into the room with the photos and sometimes with the text.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 03:54:48 PM »
Ordered and already on backorder according to the website.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 05:26:02 PM »
There goes a cornerstone of my estate.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 09:21:54 PM »
Ordered and already on backorder according to the website.

That just means we don’t have them from the printer yet, so we can’t ship it yet.  I think they’re due around the first of May.  (We just start taking orders early so we can print shipping labels and be ready to mail them when they arrive.)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 09:44:24 PM »
I just used it as a resource on the Maxwell and Dr. Mac thread. It’s a good resource. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pat Burke

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 01:53:03 AM »

I seem to remember Mr Doak saying it would never be re-published?  :(

We are excited to announce that we are reprinting this wonderful book that Tom had published in 2001 with Sleeping Bear Press.

The printer had lost the files and had searched for years...and thankfully, finally found them.

This book is nearly impossible to find, so I would recommend getting your orders in quickly. We have a pre-publication price of $95 plus shipping.

Shipping late April '23

I would love to purchase a copy

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 11:33:03 AM »

Likewise. But I have a cunning plan, I ordered about half of the available copies of the new edition which I will dispose of to keep up the value of my original copy  ;)

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 11:50:38 AM »

Likewise. But I have a cunning plan, I ordered about half of the available copies of the new edition which I will dispose of to keep up the value of my original copy  ;)

Niall

I might keep a few of them myself this time!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 01:24:50 PM »

Niall

A weird take on a share buy back scheme. You would have done well during the financial crisis. A cunning plan as Baldrick might say  ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 01:38:58 AM »
Well, this IS a reprint, so the original edition should have some value, if humanity survives and still uses money to assist in trade and commerce ... and people still have time to read books ... and ChatGPT and GoogleAI don't create books in the style of Tom Doak.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back