News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Re: 2023 Golf Course March Madness Bracket - *VOTING Round of 32*
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2023, 04:36:33 PM »
Every course I have played beats any course I have not. A double digit seed won the whole thing. I guess that makes it my favorite course.

Not quite accurate. I bet that you picked Harbor Town over CPC even though you have played both.

Just a bet.

Ira

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2023, 06:01:25 PM »
I’ve never played CPC.

Max Prokopy

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2023, 06:21:58 PM »

• 6. Brookline 50.9% > 11. Myopia 49.1% DOUBLE OVERTIME   -   I'm surprised this was as close as it was. We are talking the composite US Open course yes?  Brookline is a classic parkland tough golf course.

I've played both and voted for Myopia.  Best trio of par 3's in the world (par 73 course). On a firm day it's one of my all-time favorite places...IIRC it's the only US course where horses have the right of way. 

You also have to consider that TCC only allows the composite course to be played sparingly. 

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2023, 08:46:51 PM »
I do think it is fun, but am curious how people make their “picks”.

If invited to both courses which would I choose to play if only one was possible.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2023, 09:23:56 PM »
Michael,

You have Sand Hills twice on the Round of 32 Voting. Believe the second one (last matchup in the bracket) should be Oakmont, not Sand Hills.

Brian, thank you for bringing that to my attention. My bad!

An addendum form for Midwest 2. Oakmont v 7. Shoreacres has been linked in the OP and below:
https://forms.gle/kPMdizUqk1rA52sz5
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 03:34:54 PM »
Reminder to complete round of 32 voting by 9 pm PT tonight.

John Kirk

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 07:52:34 PM »
If Cypress Point advances to the sweet 16 I'll give them a call and ask if I come by and scout out the course.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2023, 12:41:29 AM »
Dancing into the Sweet 16. If your NCAA brackets are anything like mine, hopefully you can at least feel validated by some of the picks you've made here:

East Region
1. Pine Valley 90% > 8. Kiawah Island Ocean 10%
5. Crystal Downs 80% > 4. Winged Foot West 20% UPSET
11. Yeamans Hall 30.4% < 3. Pinehurst #2 69.6%
7. Garden City 28.7% < 2. Merion 71.3%

West Region
1. Cypress Point 96.1% > 9. Sleepy Hollow 3.9%
5. Oakland Hills South 25.6% < 4. Friar's Head 74.4%
6. SFGC 48.1% < 3. Pebble Beach 53.2% BUZZER BEATER
7. Cal Club 17.7% < Augusta 82.3%

South Region
1. Shinnecock 89.9% > 9. Camargo 10.1%
5. Prairie Dunes 56.4% > 4. Riviera 43.6% UPSET
6. Brookline 19.2% < 3. LACC 80.8%
7. Somerset Hills 13.9% < 2. Sand Hills 86.1%

Midwest Region
1. NGLA 91.1% > 8. Maidstone 8.9%
5. Pacific Dunes 48.1% < Chicago Golf 51.9% QUESTIONABLE FOUL CALL AT END
6. Seminole 33.3% < 3. Fishers Island 66.7%
7. Shoreacres 42.9% < 2. Oakmont 57.1%

The Sweet 16 voting form is live from now until next Friday 9 pm PT: https://forms.gle/UFbMXujPHsX4pckx6

Kalen Braley

Re: 2023 Golf Course March Madness Bracket - *VOTING Sweet 16*
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2023, 11:37:51 AM »
Michael,

Thanks for putting this together, I've been enjoying both the results and the quips like 'questionable foul call at the end'!  :D

While we've seen a few upsets, mostly in the 1st round, no big ones this go around.  All the 1 thru 3 seeds still intact.

P.S.  I did some analysis on the actual big dance results based on a pre-tourney convo I had with a Purdue fan of all people.  ;D  Since 1985 when they went to the current 64+ team format:

- A 1 seed ends up winning 65% of the time
- Only 4 Seeds lower than 3 have ever won it - 4,6,7,8 seeds respectively (Shout out to Joe as his Villanova was that #8)
- Going back to 2007 a non 1 seed has only won the tourney 3 times, which is interesting this year as two of em are already out.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2023, 11:50:11 PM »
Now that we're in the weekday lull before the next round of games, hopefully we can get some more opinions like those offered by Alex and Jeff. 

What results have irritated, surprised, perplexed you most? Matchups that have been most exciting or least interesting?

I'm a bit underwhelmed not necessarily by the seedings, but how the regional matchups organized. For instance, Ohoopee as a 10 seed might've had a better chance against 7 seeds Shoreacres or Garden City compared to the deservedly loved Cal Club. The unfortunate double Doak in the Round of 64 has already been mentioned, but I also think Pacific Dunes would've had better odds of making the Sweet 16 as a 5 seed if it went up against any other 4 (Winged Foot W, Friars, Riviera) other than Chicago which holds significant aura on these parts. Of the Sweet 16, only 2 are modern, and both Coore and Crenshaw. With a slightly different allocation of seeds a Doak and possibly a Hanse could've been in this group.

I also would've preferred Pebble and Augusta not squaring off in the Sweet 16 because I can imagine this being the time in the tournament when either could've been upset, but one will be making the Elite Eight regardless.

Of courses I've played, the Oakland Hills v Friars Head matchup was an enjoyable quandary. Oakland's set of greens are in the top most tier from what I've seen so far, and as more people see the restored version I think it'll be in the conversation of the finest parkland championship layouts. But where would I rather spend a day, or play more rounds in a 10 round split, or be a member, or take a shower?

The Sweet 16 wades more into the hypothetical for me with only two matches where I've played both courses, 3 matches where I've played one, and 3 matches where I've played neither. I like jumping on Google maps and doing satellite hole-by-hole tours as I pencil out a match. Obviously undulation and contour cannot be noticed or appreciated, but it serves as a decent enough way to approximate the routings and preference for one hole over another.

The two matchups that intrigue me most in the Sweet 16 are 3. LACC v 2. Sand Hills and 2. Oakmont v 3. Fishers Island. Such different settings. Urban championship pedigrees against some of the finest summer getaway clubs. Based on images of how LACC looked before the Gil and Geoff restoration, it's stunning how quickly LACC has vaulted up rankings to where it can now rightfully contend among the country's best courses.         

Jason Thurman

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 12:09:06 AM »
How many votes is each matchup receiving? I'm just taking in the idea that Garden City would beat Bandon Trails on the votes of a bunch of guys who've never worn a jacket to any golf course if it wasn't Easter or Mother's Day.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 12:22:59 AM »
How many votes is each matchup receiving? I'm just taking in the idea that Garden City would beat Bandon Trails on the votes of a bunch of guys who've never worn a jacket to any golf course if it wasn't Easter or Mother's Day.

Round of 64 had around 100 votes, round of 32 had about 80 per matchup.

Alex Miller

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2023, 02:48:59 PM »

Fair Jason - it was my closest matchup as someone who's played both. Really could go either way depending on a person's voting criteria IMO.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2023, 05:42:22 PM »
I don't doubt that Garden City is a wonderful golf course. Likewise with Chicago Golf. It's just funny to me that those courses must have gotten so many votes from guys who hadn't played them, potentially at the expense of courses they actually HAD played.

Then again, I've played Prairie Dunes and haven't played Riviera, but I feel certain that I'd rather play Riviera as my home course. I love Prairie Dunes. Hole-for-hole, it's glorious. But it must be in the 90th percentile of ball eaters I've ever played. Even assuming the 2026 ball is going to be cheaper since it performs worse, I couldn't afford to keep myself stocked up if I played Prairie Dunes as my home course.

I want to be pissed off that Old Town lost in the first round to a course that couldn't pull 15% against Sand Hills, but Somerset Hills looks awesome as a guy who's only seen it in pics. The problem with a contest like this on GCA is that everybody knows Sand Hills is the right answer. Put Somerset against Sand in front of the average golfer, though, and we've got a hell of a battle on our hands I would imagine.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2023, 05:59:24 PM »
I don't doubt that Garden City is a wonderful golf course. Likewise with Chicago Golf. It's just funny to me that those courses must have gotten so many votes from guys who hadn't played them, potentially at the expense of courses they actually HAD played.

Garden City is one of my favorite courses. It was an easy pick for me over Bandon Trails. The difficult one for me was Garden City vs Merion. I'd have been happy to see both make the sweet 16.

Ballyneal vs Sleepy Hollow was another tough choice for me.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2023, 06:05:29 PM »
I'm just taking in the idea that Garden City would beat Bandon Trails on the votes of a bunch of guys who've never worn a jacket to any golf course if it wasn't Easter or Mother's Day.

Jason, can you explain this comment?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2023, 12:26:56 PM »
Peter, it's a joke that lives somewhere at the intersection of herd mentality and the glaring differences between a course that welcomes the public as warmly as any I've ever visited (other than the part where they charge you a much heftier price than the average muni) and a course that's about as exclusive as they get. I'm sure that if you browse the Guest Information section of Garden City's website you'll understand the context a little better.

None of that's any real criticism of this exercise or the victor. I have no reason to believe Garden City is anything other than awesome. I just know, mathematically, that it almost surely received votes from guys who haven't played it, but have played Trails. That's funny to me, in the way that it would be funny if somebody who's never had a burger from the Garden City grill told me that it was a better burger than Five Guys makes.

archie_struthers

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2023, 12:30:19 PM »
 8)

Now let's not get off track here with burgers ....hmnn???  what was better the Phyllis Burger at Woodcrest or that awesome outdoor grill at Saucon Valley   now that's a tough one to call  8)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2023, 01:15:03 PM »
8)

Now let's not get off track here with burgers ....hmnn???  what was better the Phyllis Burger at Woodcrest or that awesome outdoor grill at Saucon Valley   now that's a tough one to call  8)

Archie,

Excellent idea.  After March madness is over and everyone is bored again, perhaps a bracket of the best 64 best food choices? Then we can migrate to best 64 clubhouses!   ;D

P.S.  I understand Jason's concerns here, but if we limited the voting to only those who have played all 64 courses, who would qualify other than maybe TD?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2023, 03:02:04 PM »

P.S.  I understand Jason's concerns here, but if we limited the voting to only those who have played all 64 courses, who would qualify other than maybe TD?
For sure Rudo!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

David Wuthrich

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2023, 03:25:35 PM »
8)

Archie,

Excellent idea.  After March madness is over and everyone is bored again, perhaps a bracket of the best 64 best food choices? Then we can migrate to best 64 clubhouses!   ;D

You might be surprised about how many people on here have played all 64!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2023, 05:25:10 PM »
Don't see any routs, and a lot of close matches and an extra-holer.

archie_struthers

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2023, 08:08:44 AM »
 8)

Just so we are clear Michael I am finding this to be lots of fun. Look forward to next round

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2023, 04:14:20 PM »
Peter, it's a joke that lives somewhere at the intersection of herd mentality and the glaring differences between a course that welcomes the public as warmly as any I've ever visited (other than the part where they charge you a much heftier price than the average muni) and a course that's about as exclusive as they get. I'm sure that if you browse the Guest Information section of Garden City's website you'll understand the context a little better.

None of that's any real criticism of this exercise or the victor. I have no reason to believe Garden City is anything other than awesome. I just know, mathematically, that it almost surely received votes from guys who haven't played it, but have played Trails. That's funny to me, in the way that it would be funny if somebody who's never had a burger from the Garden City grill told me that it was a better burger than Five Guys makes.
Thanks Jason.
Perfect analogy for this carnivore.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2023, 05:05:26 PM »
An enjoyable thread. But I cannot envision the equivalent of Jim Valvano (RIP) running around the court/course for someone to hug.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back