News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

The Open at ANGC
« on: April 08, 2023, 09:38:43 PM »
I get it that golf is an outdoor sport played in weather but todays conditions were abysmal, reminding me of what we might observe on the links of GB&I. Knowing what they did about the weekend forecast, did Augusta push the envelope just to guarantee a Sunday finish with millions watching?

Ben Hollerbach

Re: The Open at ANGC
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 11:27:13 PM »
And here I was thinking about how great it was Augusta sent the players out to face the elements.

All too often it seems like a forecast of 72 and partly cloudy is a PGA tour requirement. I’d rather golf be closer to football than baseball in how they treat less than ideal weather.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 11:30:22 PM »
I was only surprised they let it go on so long.  They had guys on several greens with squeegees to get em puttable before they finally called it.

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 11:50:26 PM »
I get it that golf is an outdoor sport played in weather but todays conditions were abysmal, reminding me of what we might observe on the links of GB&I. Knowing what they did about the weekend forecast, did Augusta push the envelope just to guarantee a Sunday finish with millions watching?

Nobody wants a Monday finish. They know that by getting everyone through at least six holes a Monday finish can be avoided.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 08:20:37 AM »
The simple answer is yes that they wanted a Sunday finish for TV. CBS would also like the tournament to end at maybe 6:45, quick green jacket ceremony in Butler Cabin, and an on-time lead in/start to 60 Minutes one of their top rated shows. Too early of a Masters finish loses the lead-in to 60 Minutes and too late will lose non-golf 60 Minutes viewers. Only the NFL can mess with 60 Minutes.

Personally, I'm glad this is the goal because I don't have time to watch golf tomorrow afternoon. It's entertainment.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back