News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Edward Glidewell

Re: 2nd course at Augusta National
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2023, 08:14:27 PM »
This isn't the first time I've heard of Augusta kicking around plans to build a second course, so I'm inclined to believe it's a serious possibility.

I'd also heard they were interested in allowing limited public play on the new course (which is also mentioned in the article).

Tim Martin

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2023, 09:12:43 PM »

I'd also heard they were interested in allowing limited public play on the new course (which is also mentioned in the article).

Imagine how popular the new course would be with the public just as a vehicle to get on the grounds. Despite how good it is there’s an overwhelming amount of history to compete with. I’m not saying that they should be compared but it would be unavoidable.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 09:56:09 PM by Tim Martin »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2023, 01:21:14 AM »
Looking at google earth and I'm not sure they have room for it, unless they want to eminent domain some houses.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2023, 10:24:00 AM »
Looking at google earth and I'm not sure they have room for it, unless they want to eminent domain some houses.

The current parking area is ~90 acres, with a big elevation change west of Berckmans.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 10:30:09 AM by Ben Hollerbach »

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2023, 10:33:40 AM »

Imagine how popular the new course would be with the public just as a vehicle to get on the grounds. Despite how good it is there’s an overwhelming amount of history to compete with. I’m not saying that they should be compared but it would be unavoidable.

Speaking of things that would have been considered inconceivable a decade ago.

Even if the new course was a goat ranch, if it had public access it would be the most popular course in the country just because of the name.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2023, 11:01:23 AM »

The map in the article shows them absorbing an entire neighborhood in order to do the second course. I don’t think they want to cannibalize any of their existing infrastructure for the second course, so they would need the extra land from the adjacent neighborhood.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back