News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

OT- PXG LAYS OFF 125 EMPLOYEES
« on: March 08, 2023, 12:57:46 PM »
MyGolfSpy has confirmed that PXG has laid off 125 employees, slightly more than 10 percent of its workforce. Employees were notified over a Zoom call today.
Sixty of the impacted employees worked out of PXG retail locations.
According to PXG Founder and CEO Bob Parsons, most of the company’s brick-and-mortar business is by appointment. With business light on Sundays and Mondays, PXG made the decision to shift to a five-day week from seven.
Parsons previously made a similar switch in his power sports division with positive results.
The remaining 65 cuts were across all areas of the business.

Read more:

PXG Lays Off 125 Employees | MyGolfSpy[
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 01:00:33 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Martin

Re: OT- PXG LAYS OFF 125 EMPLOYEES
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 03:43:30 PM »
PXG has changed its business model to offer lower price points in an effort to reach more customers. They traded the niche they developed as a super high end custom fitted option offering irons only for a bigger slice of the market. When you lose cache you also lose business as it’s just not as cool anymore to own PXG. Did they really need to offer drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and putters at lower prices because it seems that to some degree they have diluted the value of their brand.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 04:13:13 PM »
I wonder what PXG's promotional budget is to get pro golfers (on both the PGA & LPGA Tours) to use their clubs. It seems like a lot of pros play with them. Either the pros really like PXG clubs or PXG is paying a pretty penny to get them in bags on tour.  :)

Mike Bodo

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 04:36:18 PM »
I wonder what PXG's promotional budget is to get pro golfers (on both the PGA & LPGA Tours) to use their clubs. It seems like a lot of pros play with them. Either the pros really like PXG clubs or PXG is paying a pretty penny to get them in bags on tour.  :)
I think the latter applies. Sadly, rather than cut/eliminate player sponsorship (which they likely can't contractually speaking) and advertising dollars to retain good employees they're going to reduce head count to better support they're futile marketing endeavors.

Problem is, PXG's shift to a "direct-to-consumer" sales mdoel is backfiring, same as it did the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Co. who did little to nothing in the way of player sponsorship and advertising compared to PXG. Problem is, with all the retail fitting centers they've opened there's no turning back from this strategy. There isn't a golf club manufacturer that I'm aware of that has shown the ability to make a DTC only strategy work and I don't see it succeeding in PXG's case either. Don't be surprised if they're gone a year or two from now. Sad thing is I really like what they've done from a technological standpoint even though I don't play their clubs.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 04:39:35 PM »
They have proven that not just anyone can make a great Driver.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 06:35:51 PM »
If their goal was to have a variety of ads that all annoy me to the point I will never buy what they sell, they’ve succeeded.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Bodo

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 07:17:42 PM »
If their goal was to have a variety of ads that all annoy me to the point I will never buy what they sell, they’ve succeeded.
Talk about throwing good money after bad, PXG's ad's are the worst of any golf equipment company in the industry.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 07:41:45 PM »
Talk about throwing good money after bad, PXG's ad's are the worst of any golf equipment company in the industry.

You guys are clearly not Parsons' target demographic.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

archie_struthers

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 08:28:07 PM »
 ;D ;D

God one Joe B.    The ads are really repugnant 🤮 even to a draft beer swilling ex Caddie

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 10:18:23 PM »
Pretty much every post so far has nailed it.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Morandi

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 11:41:15 PM »

If you ever saw his goDaddy.com ads, you wouldn’t be surprised by these. It worked then but this is a different demographic.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 02:28:19 AM »
Is PXG the LIV tour of golfclub manufacturing? :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 06:01:25 AM »
Is PXG the LIV tour of golfclub manufacturing? :o

Mostly for washed up golfers with really high price tags? I’d say XXIO

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 11:03:47 AM »

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought those commercials were beyond annoying...  ;D

Hell i'd rather hear Jim N drone on over some Titleist product over that...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 03:41:45 PM »
They opened a store near my house, the random afternoon I went in they had 1 guy being fit and 7 employees doing nothing. They also had a lovely assortment of $87 t shirts.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 12:00:41 PM »
They opened a store near my house, the random afternoon I went in they had 1 guy being fit and 7 employees doing nothing. They also had a lovely assortment of $87 t shirts.
Wait,,,,,, T-Shirts???
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 12:28:12 PM »

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 06:49:21 PM »

I don't understand the majority of the posts in this thread.
Personally, I've been shocked at the number of PXG clubs/accessories I've seen at courses (mainly NC/SC) in the last eighteen months.
Full disclosure: I bought a 0211 7-wood two years ago on a whim. It's been in the bag every round since.

Joe_Tucholski

Re: OT- PXG LAYS OFF 125 EMPLOYEES New
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 07:22:07 PM »

I'm in the market for a new driver.

When I look at my options I figure if I buy new, I'm buying PXG.  While I dislike the marketing and being quickly labeled, I look at paying $600 for a Taylormade Stealth or Callaway Paradym vs a PXG Gen 5 for $289 and I like the PXG.  The PXG also allows for a lot of customization during a fitting.  They have various shafts, different lengths and different grips in addition to the standard choices of flex and lofts.

I don't think the products are all that different despite pricing.  Clearly in the luxury market branding really matters, and unfortunately the marketing at PXG misses the mark for most.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:51:10 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 07:31:13 PM »
I know a low handicapper who got fitted for a full set of PXG clubs, driver through wedges. I don't remember exactly how much he spent but it was several thousand dollars. He played with them for about a month then went back to his old Titleist clubs.

That doesn't actually mean anything about the quality of their product -- just felt bad for him that he burned all that money on something that ended up being worse for him than his previous clubs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back