News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re: Subtle or boring
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2023, 07:26:39 PM »
Boring
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

archie_struthers

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2023, 07:06:35 AM »
 8)

Hidden Creek is a nice walk in the park and an excellent golf course in many ways. So much of the difficulty is tied into the putting and mini contours on the greens, which I don't fancy that much. For that reason it doesn't come close to Galloway as the nicest course here at the  Jersey Shore.  Top tier yes , but Galloway stands out. 

Perhaps the poster may have considered it boring because there is so little pressure on the tee ball.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2023, 07:17:02 AM »
Folks playing links course for the first time, especially if it's a particularly flat portion of links, have been heard to remark something along the lines of "There's nothing to aim at!". Too subtle? Boring?
atb

Matt MacIver

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2023, 09:30:13 PM »
As far as links go, Troon for the most part is fairly flat especially the first and last six holes, but there are several preferred angles to play to (based on firmness and pin placements) that I think it moves it from boring to subtle.

I’ve not played Dornoch — is it subtle?   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2023, 06:06:05 PM »
As far as links go, Troon for the most part is fairly flat especially the first and last six holes, but there are several preferred angles to play to (based on firmness and pin placements) that I think it moves it from boring to subtle.

I’ve not played Dornoch — is it subtle?

The wind at Troon has never been subtle when I was there!  [And also, calling the 13th hole "flat" is a mind-bender.]

Dornoch has subtlety in its putting surfaces, but in general the course has quite a bit of movement and more elevation change than most links.  The elevation changes also make it pretty, which is why Americans rate it higher than the Scots do.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2023, 07:00:28 AM »
Thanks Tom - my one round at Troon I’m guessing the wind was “average”, so it didn’t feel windy to us. And re the 13th maybe I got ahead of myself and was thinking a few holes beyond it, maybe just the last few finishing holes. 

And good to know Dornoch has that much elevation change, I don’t see if from pictures much like folks say about ANGC, need a visit to confirm!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2023, 06:13:40 PM »
We feel what we feel. Someone’s subtle (and brilliant) is another person’s dull and uninteresting layout. We all react to the stimulation differently. The person who feels underwhelmed isn't wrong, or right, it's just how they feel. We all see the same things through different perceptions.

Food for thought: It's a far safer approach to do paint the entire canvas and clarify the composition, than it is to use fewer brush strokes and rely on the viewers ability to interpret your intent.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:10:11 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2023, 03:07:07 AM »
We feel what we feel. Someone’s subtle (and brilliant) is another person’s dull and uninteresting layout. We all react to the stimulation differently. The person who feels underwhelmed isn't wrong, or right, it's just how they feel. We all see the same things through different perceptions.

Food for thought: It's a far safer approach to do paint the entire canvas and clarify the composition, than it is to use fewer brush strokes and rely on the viewers ability to interpret your intent.

Except that when you paint the entire canvas, it is obvious that you are dealing with a creation rather than a natural landscape, no matter how good that painting is.

(Which of course gets back to your first point. That’s MY reaction and perception. Others may be different.)

For me, it doesn’t matter how skilled the designer and builder are, if they’ve touched the entire 150 / 200 / 300 acres that encompass the whole golf course, I’m going to feel like I’m playing in a created playground more than I’m going to feel part of nature. That perception is likely reduced as time moves on: Is a 100 year old created landscape still created or has it now become the natural landscape?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2023, 04:06:50 AM »
Golf within nature rather than golf supplanting nature?
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back