News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Classic era courses with the most movement in the greens.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »
John Blain,

CC of Troy is a GEM.   Good call!!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2023, 10:58:12 PM »
Yale and Pasatiempo deserve a mention. Not quite sure how to think about PH2 relative to the question.

Isn't Pasatiempo pretty much #1?

Bob Montle

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2023, 02:08:52 PM »
Do any of these courses mentioned already have more contours than Machrihanish?
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Andrew Carr

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 05:19:35 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  I am now on a mission to seeing more Travis greens.  How is it that he doesn't get enough credit?  Is it just that his courses don't host national championships?

The work that Brian Schneider is doing at North Jersey CC looks amazing.

And thankfully the "work" that Tom Marzolf did at Scranton didn't involve the greens.  I can only hope that he is never permitted near those.

Cape Arundel might have the craziest greens I've ever seen, and that's not even limiting it to classic era courses.

Great one, Dan!

I may be biased but I suspect most remaining untouched Walter J. Travis designed greens would be at the top of any "internal contours" within the green discussion, with those courses with the most well-preserved Travis greens (like Cape Arundel, Hollywood, Scranton, and some others) rising to the top tier.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back