News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

ANGC - Past, Present, and Future
« on: March 29, 2023, 04:16:24 PM »
This article was just published yesterday and has a lot of information including Q&A with the Chairman and helpful interactive diagrams.

A lot to unpack here, but the most interesting parts were proposed onsite housing for all competitors and media, and perhaps another 18 hole course?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/2023-masters-augusta-national-contends-with-liv-golf-distance-property-expansion-impossible-standards

Ben Hollerbach

Re: ANGC - Past, Present, and Future
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 10:08:00 AM »
The onsite housing and global village has been a rumor for probably a decade. The recent acquisition of land across Washington Rd. Ave, opposite the Par 3, suggests that will happen sooner than later. They've already dug a tunnel under Washington Rd. to connect the 2 properties.

I know a second course was in the original vision for the club, but I have no idea where that was suppose to be originally built or by whom. I feel as the ANWA grows, building the ultimate championship course for women's golf becomes a much more interesting proposition. While they do have land across Old Berckmans Rd., its less than 100 acres. The drawing in the article suggests they would need to acquire another 100+ acres of land to accommodate the second course and parking. Probably a good time to buy up real estate west of Berckmans Rd. odds are you could sell it for a small fortune in a few years.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 10:47:59 AM »
I feel as the ANWA grows, building the ultimate championship course for women's golf becomes a much more interesting proposition.

There's a lot going on in the article, but I have to wonder about the above sentiment. Why would the women want to move away from the famous course to something built "just for them" or whatever. I mean obviously it's up to the club, but imagine qualifying the year after they move to the new course. What a letdown. No matter how good the new course was, not getting to play the original would have to be an enormous disappointment.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Keith Williams

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 11:12:37 AM »
Charlie,

I got the impression from the article that if a second course were built to host the women's event, it would be to replace Champion's Retreat (where rounds 1 and 2 of the event are played), but that the final round would likely still take place on the original course.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 11:17:09 AM »
I got the impression from the article that if a second course were built to host the women's event, it would be to replace Champion's Retreat (where rounds 1 and 2 of the event are played), but that the final round would likely still take place on the original course.
That is my understanding as well. It doesn't mean the 2nd course couldn't be optimized for women's championship play, as it would still host 2/3rds of the ANWA.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 11:48:30 AM »
That is my understanding as well. It doesn't mean the 2nd course couldn't be optimized for women's championship play, as it would still host 2/3rds of the ANWA.

I see. I missed that part. Then it's probably a net positive.

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 11:56:40 AM »
Word on the street is that they are going to release the topo maps and conduct an open design contest.

:D :D

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 12:30:24 PM »
Word on the street is that they are going to release the topo maps and conduct an open design contest.

:D :D
Already did that a few years back ;)

Pat Burke

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 03:44:41 PM »
Wonder if they plan to pay the architect this time when completed

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 03:46:02 PM »
Wonder if they plan to pay the architect this time when completed

Noice!

Sean_A

New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back