News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: OT. Pickleball and country clubs
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2023, 05:10:01 PM »
I'm waiting for the golf course architecture element of this discussion to kick in.....
The modern driver is the "pickleball"of golf.

Funny that you bring this up Mike, because this thread has had me thinking about the long-ago day I was playing Olympia Fields North when I heard a loud pinging sound coming from some distance. “That sounds like a pro hitting driver,” I exclaimed as I ran up to our green and saw Corey Pavin walking down a fairway from a nearby hole. His tee shot was hit at least 50 yards from where I heard it.

And, say what you will about Pavin, but he was never known for his power with the driver.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 05:13:15 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Anthony Butler

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2023, 07:19:38 PM »
I was introduced to Paddle Tennis when I moved down the road from Concord Country Club about 13 years ago.. The local champion gave me some pointers and out we went to play a couple of Type A Cross-Fit mothers from the neighborhood. We escaped with a victory by the skin of our teeth - mostly due to my partner carrying me through first two sets.

He asked me what I thought about the game:  "It's like ping-pong except you're standing on the table."

Pickleball seems like it's even more so.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:59:07 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2023, 11:01:46 AM »
Old people can’t see a ping pong ball and they are much more difficult to chase and pick up. The ball that is.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2023, 01:09:19 PM »
I was introduced to Paddle Tennis when I moved down the road from Concord Country Club about 13 years ago.. The local champion gave me some pointers and out we went to play a couple of Type A Cross-Fit mothers from the neighborhood. We escaped with a victory by the skin of our teeth - mostly due to my partner carrying me through first two sets.

He asked me what I thought about the game:  "It's like ping-pong except you're standing on the table."

Pickleball seems like it's even more so.

First, David Tepper, NO ONE calls it "platform tennis" unless you dont play and do your research and postings based on internet links and Wikipedia entries...;-)

It is called PADDLE and there is NO resemblance to ping-pong although that analogy is accurate for Pickleball - 100%.

Paddle is a game of intense strategy where points can go for 50, 75 and 100 "touches" before a point is scored at the higher levels of play. But, it is also BRUTAL on your knees as you are basically playing in a chicken wire cage with 50 grit sandpaper on the floor.

Meniscus tears and Achilles ruptures are weekly occurrences and ortho surgeons LOVE the game - it's their new "cash-cow".

It is also a game where two 70 year old players can beat teams half their age with simple and consistent strategies. There is an old adage here:

"There are no winners (shots) in paddle". Brute force is not rewarded and a soft shot down the middle is more deadly than a slamming a lob - x10!!

Pickle is much, much, much easier to play than Paddle hence its wide and growing poularity especially in  65+ retirement communities and at country clubs.

We live on the north side of chicago and neighbors 4 doors down put in a pickle court in their backyard!

Of Note: Like Paddle, and UNLIKE tennis, Pickle players can regularly consume alcoholic beverages during the course of their matches and, like bowling, play improves when consumption increases.... ;D ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2023, 01:54:27 PM »
As a preface, I’ve never played pickleball.  There are four city courts less than 50 yards from my house and I’ve never heard noise I would consider objectionable.
Isn’t the purpose of a country club to provide a place for people to socialize and engage in various recreational pursuits ranging from golf to tennis, from swimming to…pickleball?  It’s absurd to me as a member of such a club to complain about the noises associated with these pursuits.  Are we going to stop our children from shrieking with joy as they jump off the diving board?  Are we going to re-engineer the diving board to eliminate its reverberations?  Disallow splashing?  Are we going to limit the number of cars driving on roads adjoining our clubs because they make too much noise?  C’mon everyone.  Pickleball will probably develop noise-deadening rackets and a softer ball without degrading the game.  Until then, let’s play our golf while absorbing the audible profanities from our playing partners.  Allow our non-golfing fellow members to enjoy their favorite activity and meet them socially afterwards.

Phil,

Interesting you brought up these questions because many pools have removed diving boards, even if primarily out off liability concerns with injury.  And several cities I've lived in have noise ordinances for trucks using engine breaks, cars with glasspack mufflers, anti-cruising ordinances, etc. 

Ps. Would you object if someone wanted to open an outdoor gun range near your house? I've found them to be terrific social events as well.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2023, 02:26:19 PM »
   Philly Country and Aronomink used to have shooting ranges. I assume they still do.

David_Tepper

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2023, 03:48:05 PM »
Ian M. -

The website of the Seabright Lawn Tennis & Cricket Club (Rumson, NJ) references Platform Tennis quite clearly on their website (and then refers to the game as paddle :) ):  https://www.sltcc.org/

So does the website of the Midvale CC:  https://www.midvalecc.com/tennis

I suspect many other clubs do the same.  https://www.chapelhilltennisclub.com/platform-tennis

I was simply trying to draw the distinction between paddle/platform tennis, the game played mostly in the northeast/north during the winter months, and paddle tennis, the game played in Southern California. 

DT
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:55:55 PM by David_Tepper »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2023, 04:16:47 PM »
Ian M. -

The website of the Seabright Lawn Tennis & Cricket Club (Rumson, NJ) references Platform Tennis quite clearly on their website (and then refers to the game as paddle :) ):  https://www.sltcc.org/

So does the website of the Midvale CC:  https://www.midvalecc.com/tennis

I suspect many other clubs do the same.  https://www.chapelhilltennisclub.com/platform-tennis

I was simply trying to draw the distinction between paddle/platform tennis, the game played mostly in the northeast/north during the winter months, and paddle tennis, the game played in Southern California. 

DT

David - I started playing in 1977 in NJ and - even today - as our club in Chicago prepares to host the national tournament for the 4th time starting this Friday, NO ONE and I mean NOT ONE single person ever refers to this game as "platform tennis" unless you actually dont play it....;-)

http://www.platformtennis.org/Tournaments/APTA-National-Championships/2023_APTA_Men_s_and_Women_s_National_Championships.htm

It's called "Paddle"...PERIOD.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 04:42:06 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

David_Tepper

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2023, 04:53:05 PM »

John Crowley

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2023, 08:52:02 PM »
Ian -

In that case I trust you will inform the ATPA of their error. ;)

http://www.platformtennis.org/Tournaments/APTA-National-Championships/2023_APTA_Men_s_and_Women_s_National_Championships.htm

DT
David,
Over many decades, in Minneapolis, the Country Clubs have called it “Platform”.
I have occasionally but rarely heard it called “Paddle”.
Regional differences.
John

David_Tepper

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2023, 11:03:00 PM »
John -

Thanks for that info. I could care less what people call it. I was simply trying to let everyone know there are two very different racket games both called paddle/paddle tennis.

DT

mike_beene

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2023, 11:07:57 PM »
We better be careful how we treat Pickle as we bounce golf balls off cars and houses. And don’t tell me the law protects us. Laws change.

David_Tepper

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2023, 11:43:12 AM »

Tim Martin

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2023, 08:25:22 AM »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2023, 02:32:56 PM »
I had lunch on a friend's deck last summer. Across the street are four pickleball courts. The noise was very bothersome. If I lived there, I would complain. Unfortunately, it goes on all day long.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2023, 07:28:05 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:32:52 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2023, 12:19:30 PM »
Anyone who has studied the data on Pickleball knows that you should never hit a cross-court shot, all play should be targeted to the center of the court.  Don't believe it?  Study it out.

Because of this, I think we're going to see a trend towards deeper and less wide courts.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2023, 09:48:31 PM »
Anyone who has studied the data on Pickleball knows that you should never hit a cross-court shot, all play should be targeted to the center of the court.  Don't believe it?  Study it out.

Is that a singles thing (which I never play)?  Otherwise aside from the serve return which I agree should go deep center, the dink game in standard doubles is all over the place.  And there is often more space/clearance for the shot going to the opposite side of the kitchen.  Maybe I've been playing it wrong the last 3 years....open to the data.

EDIT: I have been informed that this was a sarcastic post based on other golf course posts.  I bit on it.  Haha.  Proves I am old enough to play pickleball.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 02:55:31 AM by Kevin_Reilly »
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2023, 08:10:09 AM »

Is that a singles thing (which I never play)?  Otherwise aside from the serve return which I agree should go deep center, the dink game in standard doubles is all over the place.  And there is often more space/clearance for the shot going to the opposite side of the kitchen.  Maybe I've been playing it wrong the last 3 years....open to the data.

EDIT: I have been informed that this was a sarcastic post based on other golf course posts.  I bit on it.  Haha.  Proves I am old enough to play pickleball.  ;D

This beats when Dick Dailey showed up at Yeamans Hall.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2023, 04:56:44 PM »
My course in St. Louis, Greenbriar Hills, is putting in 4 Pickleball courts.  We are facing some strident opposition from a few homeowners closest to the courts.  We had sound modeling done which showed us in compliance with the noise ordinance but we are going the extra step of having sound deadening fencing (accostifence) installed.  Then, the city is making us do another sound study once courts are finished but before they are open for “normal” play.  Even once we pass that, I am sure the neighbors will file a noise complaint the first time a paddle hits a ball.

Ironic thing is that the neighbors have a tennis court that can be used for Pickleball; they have no noise abatement and it is immediately adjacent to a home (maybe 5 ft from the property line), but for some reason, that is okay.  Also, they hilariously said the sound made by Pickleball is just like an AK-47 makes when fired.[/size][size=78%] [/size]
Steve Pozaric

Craig Sweet

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2023, 09:12:33 PM »
"Paddle Tennis[/size]Platform Tennis or as it is more commonly known Paddle Tennis, is a unique American racquet sport considered to be one of the fastest growing sports in the club community. Enjoyed by players of all ages, it is the only racquet sport that was created to be played outdoors in cold winter climates. This sport which is traditionally only played in a doubles format, is extremely popular with the DFC membership and promotes active competition and social engagement. The club hosts a number of tournaments each year, as well as a club championship. The DFC paddle community also hosts a series of social gatherings and pot-luck suppers. Our programming includes professional instruction for group and individual lessons and clinics for all ages and levels.Players of all levels are encouraged to come outdoors in the winter to experience the thrill and excitement of paddle; to enjoy the benefits of rigorous exercise and to appreciate the camaraderie that paddle offers."

Dorset Field Club
[/i][/size][/color]
LOCK HIM UP!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2023, 12:35:14 AM »
"Platform, paddle, pop, padel tennis and pickleball – What’s the difference, which and where to play?"

https://www.minterdial.com/2022/08/platform-paddle-pop-padel-tennis/ 

Paddle tennis/paddle, as played in Southern California and elsewhere, has been called pop tennis since 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_tennis
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:15:23 AM by David_Tepper »

David Cronan

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2023, 11:45:23 AM »
I like pickle ball. Mind you, I've never played but it's very popular in the city I reside, as well as the community I call home. It looks as though all of the players are older than me and they're out exercising and socializing. Sound doesn't bother me one bit though, admittedly, I'm hard of hearing

How could I not like an activity that promotes health and socialization? Maybe it's a function of my age.....

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2023, 08:29:41 PM »
Only negative in my experience is the Achilles/calf injuries we had early on.  Each of us now knows that it is a good idea to stretch well before playing. 

Yikes...I jinxed my friend.  Torn Achilles yesterday morning. 

I know 2 guys my age, mid 40s, who’ve torn their Achilles in the last month playing pickle ball

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back