News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Indian Creek News
« on: April 09, 2024, 08:42:36 AM »
 :'( ???

I've been hearing that the renovation of Indian Creek has been a disaster  anyone been there ?

J_ Crisham

Re: Indian Creek News
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 08:57:07 AM »
Archie,
   I played Indian Creek this past Saturday. I thought it was amazing. The course was in remarkable shape- greens looked and rolled really well. Sand has settled in nicely. Course was playing firm and fast. The removal of trees and ground foliage has opened up sightlines through the property. Perhaps you could expand on what you've heard?

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 09:55:39 PM »
Played it back in December and it was fantastic!  Not sure what anyone could be speaking about.  As stated above despite the fact some other courses in the area where wet and soft after some rains had passed through it was in great firm and fast condition.  The removal of trees and foliage has opened up vistas in all directions. 

Again I put more details and photos on my IG a few months ago.

Nothing but praise from me!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 11:32:37 PM »
Was just there yesterday and greens were very good.  Never played it before so can’t compare. I know Andrew Green used extensive historical documents. This membership is very serious about getting it back to Flynn and are very happy according to our member host, who is on a couple committees.

It was wide open and almost impossible to lose a ball (I tried believe me) unless you hit it in the water on 12/13.  Also what a wonderfullly appointed clubhouse and classic Florida look.  Unique setting regardless of how many billions in real estate surround the course.

Solid 7 IMO.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 08:28:14 AM »
Was just there yesterday and greens were very good.  Never played it before so can’t compare. I know Andrew Green used extensive historical documents. This membership is very serious about getting it back to Flynn and are very happy according to our member host, who is on a couple committees.

It was wide open and almost impossible to lose a ball (I tried believe me) unless you hit it in the water on 12/13.  Also what a wonderfullly appointed clubhouse and classic Florida look.  Unique setting regardless of how many billions in real estate surround the course.

Solid 7 IMO.

It was a 7 before the work; the clubhouse and setting were still the same.  I haven't seen the "after". 

Also I could swear that the last time it was re-done [+/- 15 years ago] that was billed as a "restoration".

Michael George

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 09:36:48 AM »
The bunkering looks overdone and without thought.  Maybe Flynn had bunkers there, but no architect is perfect.  I would have thought that Andrew Green would have some discretion.

The multiple bunkers along the water's edge make no sense.

https://www.golfdigest.com/courses/fl/indian-creek-country-club

« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:38:27 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Kyle Casella

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 12:14:37 PM »
The bunkering looks overdone and without thought.  Maybe Flynn had bunkers there, but no architect is perfect.  I would have thought that Andrew Green would have some discretion.

The multiple bunkers along the water's edge make no sense.

https://www.golfdigest.com/courses/fl/indian-creek-country-club

Michael- I can't find any aerials on the internet but there are some in the clubhouse and you can see the clustered bunkering style on several holes in the old photos. I am not sure if this is "original" from 1927 or some later date. As for the aesthetic, it looks a lot different from the ground than it does from the air as portrayed in the Golf Digest photos, especially on holes like 3, 9, and 13 (all featured in the GD slide show) where the bunkers blend together a bit from the player's perspective. It looks A LOT better than it did pre-renovation which featured basically large undefined circles.

While some might argue that 13 would be better if there were no bunkers and the water was the penalty for missing left, the water still looms very large in the golfer's mind from the tee shot. The bunkers add a lot of playability to the hole for most golfers, especially given the outstanding maintenance practices where a ball running on the ground would likely skirt into the hazard.

I think the other thing that is hard to represent from the aerials is the framing the golfer gets from the bunkers. Especially now with trees gone and vistas opened up, the bunkers are very important in framing holes or creating visual challenge for the golfer. There are many diagonal bunkers.

I echo the sentiments of others, having played both before and after, that the changes are generally excellent. It's an awesome walk and a lot of fun, with many challenges presented by the shortgrass around the greens.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 01:15:26 PM »
Played it several times in the mod/late 1990's and then again a year ago.  Loved what has been done by Andrew Green...and found it interesting that he was able to maintain the subtlety of the course.  Holes look simple from the tees and then you get out to the fairway for your approach and if you angle is wrong you then realize you have almost no shot. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 02:47:21 PM »
If you want to know more about Indian Creek [before] here is an oldie but a goodie featuring the two ex posters who knew the most about Flynn's work:

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12367.0.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back