News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Re: OT: Golf, But Louder
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2023, 12:08:14 PM »
Can LIV players play in the PGA?  Time for a new Major. Asia anyone?

Yes. They just announced that LIV golfers can play in the PGA. So they will be in all four majors in 2023.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2023, 01:34:31 PM »

Yes. They just announced that LIV golfers can play in the PGA. So they will be in all four majors in 2023.

A win for the fans. Great news.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2023, 03:36:01 PM »

Which ones are eligible currently?  Phil, Brooks, Cam Smith, DJ, Mito, Bryson.  Anyone else?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2023, 04:01:57 PM »

Which ones are eligible currently?  Phil, Brooks, Cam Smith, DJ, Mito, Bryson.  Anyone else?

I think they are all eligible to qualify for the US and Open Championships if they are not exempt. I mean, you and I are, too....;-)

Past winners of the PGA and other recent major winners (and maybe top 50) can play in PGA but others prob not as PGA is for the PGA, not LIV.

Masters wont ban them, but will adhere to thier qualification metrics. Past champions and recent major winners or if you are in the Top 50 or something like that.

No issue for DJ, Sergio, Phil, Pat and Charls, but others may get the OWGR corn cob right in the shoot.

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2023, 04:14:41 PM »
Anyone who would rather watch the Honda this week vs. Liv Mayakoba is fooling themselves.
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2023, 04:20:27 PM »
Anyone who would rather watch the Honda this week vs. Liv Mayakoba is fooling themselves.

Its not a binary choice, I'll take C) None of the above

P.S. I've been jonesing to watch Breaking Bad again from start to finish, now that football and the West Coast swing is over, easy pick!  ;D

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2023, 04:21:34 PM »
Its not a binary choice, I'll take C) None of the above
Yep. That's the route I'm choosing too.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2023, 04:24:44 PM »
I think they are all eligible to qualify for the US and Open Championships if they are not exempt. I mean, you and I are, too....;-)
Maximum handicap for US Open is 1.4.  I don't make the cut, but hopefully you do.
Or I could turn pro....

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2023, 05:12:11 PM »

Well, let's go to a quick reality check there, Pat...;-)

It's currently 4:09 here in Chicago and here's what we have:

1. Channel 199: The Golf Channel showing the Honda Classic.
2. Channel 183: The CW showing Judge Judy now through 6 pm.

what did you say again...?..;-) Cant seem to watch LIV.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2023, 05:38:08 PM »
You know the channel number of the CW?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2023, 05:41:41 PM »

I am pretty sure that the CW is only showing Saturday and Sunday coverage.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2023, 07:47:59 AM »

I am pretty sure that the CW is only showing Saturday and Sunday coverage.

Correct, friday coverage is on the CW app. If they really wanted to grow their product they would have stayed on YouTube in my opinion.

JohnVDB

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2023, 11:34:27 AM »
You know the channel number of the CW?

Only because they show some Yankee games here in NJ.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2023, 12:47:30 PM »
I'll eat my words....it starts here at 12: 00 CT on WGN.

And, whomever said that the golf over at LIV today is better than at Honda Classic just may be right...;-)
Execpt their field gets fairly week in the back half. But, no question, the LIV top 20 or so can play.

I dont think anyone begrudges them doing this.
It's just the arrogance with which they thought they could double-dip back to the PGA tour at their sole discretion was astonishing.

Leave if you must. But, just like in most jobs and most companies, dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out and, NO, you are NOT invited to your old company's events anymore...;-)...!

Mike Bodo

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2023, 01:07:03 PM »
I dont think anyone begrudges them doing this.
It's just the arrogance with which they thought they could double-dip back to the PGA tour at their sole discretion was astonishing.
It wasn't just the arrogance people had a problem with, but the B.S. reasons most gave for leaving, i.e. to play fewer events so they could spend more time with their families, when in fact it was all about the money. Fast forward 8 months and some of these same self-proclaimed "family guys" are flying half a world away to play in DP World and Asian Tour events when LIV wasn't in session out of obligation and or boredom. Between the LIV tournaments, majors, DP and Asian World Tour events, some guys (insert Patrick Reed here) will have played 24 - 25 events when it's all said and done. That doesn't come across to me as a reduced schedule to spend more time with the wife and kids.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Mike Bodo

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2023, 01:17:54 PM »
So much for watching the LIV tournament via the CW network today. The local affiliate here in Detroit is showing Black History month content instead and a college basketball game following it.  >:(

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2023, 01:50:50 PM »
So much for watching the LIV tournament via the CW network today. The local affiliate here in Detroit is showing Black History month content instead and a college basketball game following it.  >:(
An article in golf digest indicated that in any market where a CW affiliate exists, but doesn't broadcast LIV, they had lined up an independent broadcaster to show LIV in that market

MCirba

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2023, 02:07:03 PM »
So sad.   ;)

Deadline reports that several CW affiliates will *not* be airing LIV Golf events, including all eight CBS-owned and operated affiliates across the country. Those eight affiliates are in Philadelphia, Atlanta, San Francisco, Tampa, Seattle, Detroit, Sacramento, and Pittsburgh. Additionally, the Weigel-owned affiliate in Chicago will not air LIV, nor will Tegna-owned affiliates like San Diego and Hartford

https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/eight-cbs-owned-cw-affiliates-several-others-will-not-air-liv-golf.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 02:08:50 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2023, 02:26:09 PM »
One thing not really addressed here is that international golfers have often had more beefs with the PGA tour over some of their restrictions.  It seems like a very proportion of golfers that left the PGA tour for LIV were not born in the US.  Lots of Europeans,  South Africans, Aussies, Chileans, Mexicans, etc.
In this week's LIV field I count 20 Americans and 28 from elsewhere.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2023, 03:59:48 PM »
It was on my local affiliate so I tuned in for about 90 minutes with a few takeaways below:

- The biggest and (perhaps only) positive is it did show more actual golf shots than CBS and NBC.  But perhaps this is because they have basically nothing to show in terms of advertisers for commercials, so there weren't many.
- Hearing that much music on the course was a big turnoff to me, and it was mostly house/party music, which would be even worse in this setting.
- While I don't mind Feherty, the amount of inane and non-golf related chat between him and the others was a bit mind-numbing.
- They had a segment on the stuffy traditions of the game, which was a good message IMO, but the pontificating nature of how it was presented was almost amusing.
- Seeing Greg Norman riding his bike around the course... in Spandex....ummm that's a hard no.
- The leaderboard thing that took up most of the left side of the screen was beyond distracting, much less making sense of everything on it.

Overall, it certainly didn't have anywhere near the feel of a legit competition.  The golf almost seemed secondary and felt more like a Corporate junket/getaway celebration at no doubt a gorgeous location.  Seems pretty clear they are targeting a young demographic, and who knows, it might stick.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 04:02:19 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2023, 05:20:42 PM »
Fun = Good.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2023, 05:39:11 PM »
An article in golf digest indicated that in any market where a CW affiliate exists, but doesn't broadcast LIV, they had lined up an independent broadcaster to show LIV in that market
Great, if only they'd announce who that is. As it was I ended up casting it to my TV from the CW app, but it's frustrating as hell. They should have just stayed on YouTube.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2023, 06:08:57 PM »
It was on my local affiliate so I tuned in for about 90 minutes with a few takeaways below:

- The biggest and (perhaps only) positive is it did show more actual golf shots than CBS and NBC.  But perhaps this is because they have basically nothing to show in terms of advertisers for commercials, so there weren't many.
- Hearing that much music on the course was a big turnoff to me, and it was mostly house/party music, which would be even worse in this setting.
- While I don't mind Feherty, the amount of inane and non-golf related chat between him and the others was a bit mind-numbing.
- They had a segment on the stuffy traditions of the game, which was a good message IMO, but the pontificating nature of how it was presented was almost amusing.
- Seeing Greg Norman riding his bike around the course... in Spandex....ummm that's a hard no.
- The leaderboard thing that took up most of the left side of the screen was beyond distracting, much less making sense of everything on it.

Overall, it certainly didn't have anywhere near the feel of a legit competition.  The golf almost seemed secondary and felt more like a Corporate junket/getaway celebration at no doubt a gorgeous location.  Seems pretty clear they are targeting a young demographic, and who knows, it might stick.
I couldn't agree more with your takes above. The pylon leaderboard on the left of the screeen doesn't bother and part of me likes the colorful graphics. Problem is the golf is next to impossible to follow, as the action moves so fast you have no idea what hole anyone is on at any given moment.

To your last comment, this week's event feels more like an exhibition than a serious competition and lacks the itensity and drama of the past two PGA Tour events. While I love the format, for this to work long-term they're going to need to open it up to more players/teams, go to 72 hole tourneys and have some type of 36 hole cut or team relegation. They're needs to be consequences for consistenly shitty play, as there are too many "past their prime" grifters in LIV for anyone to take it seriously.

I texted my brother, a former PGA pro, that Rory, Rahm, Homa, Sheffler and Cantlay would be running circles around these guys were they at this weeks event. I added that when Peter Uihlein is the best player in the field you know you got problems. No offense to him, but the dude hasn't won anything of substance his entire professional golf career.

Unless something demonstrably changes in the short-term, I see the LIV guys having their lunch handed to them in the majors this year. You can tell these guys have lost a lot of their competitive fire and sharpness since joining. Even Cam Smith doesn't look the same as he did a year ago. For the league to be successful and taken seriously it's critically important that their players perform well in the majors. If they can't place at least 3 or 4 guys in the Top 10 of every major and or have a player win one, they'll never be viewed as legitimate.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2023, 08:01:05 PM »
Interesting that some of the golfers in shorts were wearing calf-high socks, which are not allowed at private clubs in this area.  If you were shorts then your socks must be ankle high(or shorter) or knee high.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2023, 09:29:50 PM »
Interesting that some of the golfers in shorts were wearing calf-high socks, which are not allowed at private clubs in this area.  If you were shorts then your socks must be ankle high(or shorter) or knee high.

Of all the things not to legislate against at a country club, sock length would be the first thing that comes to mind.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back