News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Re: The American Muni
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2024, 11:17:15 AM »
Good book on history of Black golf and Forest Park Golf Course in St. Louis by Floyd Hall Jr. & Jim Healy called THE BOYS IN THE PARK.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/floyd-hall-jr/the-boys-in-the-park/hardcover/product-23852604.html?page=1&pageSize=4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 11:21:46 AM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Mike Hendren

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2024, 06:57:11 PM »
Rich, Bruce Hepner recently completed renovation of the 9 holes Percy Warner muni at the end of Belle Meade Blvd. in Nashville.  An  incredible parcel at the foot of the largest city park in the country. 

I live in Franklin and am retired.  Let’s tee it up there on a weekday as your schedule permits.  Lunch on me at Sportsmen’s Grill post round.  Text or email if you’re in.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Rich Thomas

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2024, 07:33:10 PM »
Rich, Bruce Hepner recently completed renovation of the 9 holes Percy Warner muni at the end of Belle Meade Blvd. in Nashville.  An  incredible parcel at the foot of the largest city park in the country. 

I live in Franklin and am retired.  Let’s tee it up there on a weekday as your schedule permits.  Lunch on me at Sportsmen’s Grill post round.  Text or email if you’re in.

Mike...I love the idea of getting together for a round out there. The only place I have played out here so far has been Nashboro. Looking forward to the warmer weather coming up. I will send you a private message with my phone number and we can set up a time.

Rich

Nigel Islam

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2024, 07:41:58 PM »

Vinny Links is technically a muni in Nashville too right Mike? The story is they found Ross plans in storage and used them to build some greens this century?

Rich Thomas

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2024, 09:32:50 AM »

Vinny Links is technically a muni in Nashville too right Mike? The story is they found Ross plans in storage and used them to build some greens this century?

I haven't found much yet on Ross being responsible for the design of Vinny Links yet other than just a credit on a random website, but it also looks like he is responsible for Shelby Bottoms as well...how did I not realize this earlier. I have some golf to get in before I head back out west at the end of April!!

Pierre_C

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2024, 02:14:25 PM »
Hey all...this may be a little off topic architecturally, but I am looking to start a project to tell the stories from what I consider to be the heartbeat of American golf. I'm looking for stories about municipal golf courses to tell. I want to tell stories of the courses and the people. I am looking for lesser known historically significant courses, to courses with great architecture, and courses with unusual stories and people.
For example, I grew up playing a course in West Central Illinois in the middle of nowhere called Gibson Woods. It's a Homer Fieldhouse layout in the city park. The course has hosted a President, is the home of a major champion, and arguably the home of one of the most successful high school golf programs in the state boasting multiple individual and team state champions from 1980-2002.
We are all familiar with the big name munis like Bethpage, Torrey, and Chambers Bay, and those in the know, are aware of Swope Memorial, Sharps Park, Brackenridge Park, and Winter Park. I was hoping some you would know of some stories, characters, and courses that are worth putting on paper. If anyone is willing to share, I would be very grateful. I know this is going to be a long project and I am just starting to get some ideas in motion, but I have the time and hopefully will have the ability to see this project through.
Again, in advance, thank you for your ideas and help.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Carroll Park, muni in Baltimore historically significant to Civil Rights movement. The golf course was integrated in 1951. 

1923 - Carroll Park open - 9 holes
1934 - African Americans allow to play, every other day
1951 - Carroll Park fully desegregated

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20064205?searchText=&searchUri=&ab_segments=&searchKey=&refreqid=fastly-default%3A94ee007a914c869408d336d12eec5804

https://www.jstor.org/stable/30034226 or unedited format below

https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA179194994&sid=googleScholar&v=2.1&it=r&linkaccess=abs&issn=00167428&p=AONE&sw=w&userGroupName=nysl_oweb&isGeoAuthType=true&aty=geo

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5149/9781469634234_demas.6?seq=2
t(n)∼O(n^(11/2+ E)),
t(n) = tau function

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back