News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

The Plantation Course at Sea Island
« on: March 30, 2024, 12:50:26 PM »
I just returned from four days on St. Simons Island. While we were there, we played Seaside and Plantation at Sea Island. I don’t need to say anything about Seaside. It is excellent. The surprise was the Plantation Course. Its history is complicated, and many hands have stirred the pot on the course. Its newest iteration is the result of Davis and Mark Love’s work. I thought the fairway bunkering was varied and thoughtful. Ten is a fascinating drivable short par four with a principal’s nose. Eleven has a trench in the middle of the green that plays havoc with any putt on the wrong side. Thirteen has a really good punchbowl green. I know that Walter Travis built some of the greens. It showed. The greens had a lot of interior movement, and little mounds were sprinkled throughout many greens. The greens demanded good putting from the player.

The course is less scenic and challenging than Seaside, but it sure was fun. It doesn’t seem to get a lot of love, but I sure liked it. If I returned, I think I would split six at Seaside and four at Plantation.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

Re: The Plantation Course at Sea Island
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 12:55:17 PM »
Tommy:

While Travis was involved at the beginning, the iteration of the course that preceded this one was a Rees Jones design.  There were no Travis features to preserve; what you played were new Travis-style ideas.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: The Plantation Course at Sea Island
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 11:13:46 AM »
Tommy:

While Travis was involved at the beginning, the iteration of the course that preceded this one was a Rees Jones design.  There were no Travis features to preserve; what you played were new Travis-style ideas.

I wonder if employing "Travis-style ideas" was purposeful.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back