News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Murray

Grand Mere G.C. Quebec, Murray, Travis, Alison
« on: February 12, 2023, 11:04:04 AM »
When Grand Mere G.C was declared a forgotten Walter Travis and CH Alison layout in Quebec with a celebration event planned to mark this ‘discovery’ along comes Zachary Car who dug a little deeper. This scholarly, informative, beautifully illustrated piece, is an engaging sleuth of architectural history for one of Canada’s forgotten gems, Grand Mere G.C., Quebec.
When Grand Mere G.C was declared a forgotten Walter Travis and CH Alison layout in Quebec with a celebration event planned to mark this ‘discovery’ along comes Zachary Car who dug a little deeper. This scholarly, informative, beautifully illustrated piece, is an engaging sleuth of architectural history for one of Canada’s forgotten gems, Grand Mere G.C., Quebec.[/color]W[/size]
[/color]When Grand Mere G.C was declared a forgotten Walter Travis and CH Alison layout in Quebec with a celebration event planned to mark this ‘discovery’ along comes Zachary Car who dug a little deeper. This scholarly, informative, beautifully illustrated piece, is an engaging sleuth of architectural history for one of Canada’s forgotten gems, Grand Mere G.C., Quebec.[/size]
[/color]When Grand Mere G.C was declared a forgotten Walter Travis and CH Alison layout in Quebec with a celebration event planned to mark this ‘discovery’ along comes Zachary Car who dug a little deeper. This scholarly, informative, beautifully illustrated piece, is an engaging sleuth of architectural history for one of Canada’s forgotten gems, Grand Mere G.C., Quebec.[/size]
Unveiling Grand-Mère's Architectural History - Beyond The Contour
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:30:52 AM by Ian Murray »

Ian Murray

Re: Grand Mere G.C. Quebec, Murray, Travis, Alison
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 11:19:18 AM »

When Grand Mere G.C was declared a forgotten Walter Travis and CH Alison layout in Quebec with a celebration event planned to mark this ‘discovery’ along comes Zachary Car who dug a little deeper. This scholarly, informative, beautifully illustrated piece, is an engaging sleuth of architectural history for one of Canada’s forgotten gems, Grand Mere G.C., Quebec.[/color]When Grand Mere G.C was declared a forgotten Walter Travis and CH Alison layout in Quebec with a celebration event planned to mark this ‘discovery’ along comes Zachary Car who dug a little deeper. This scholarly, informative, beautifully illustrated piece, is an engaging sleuth of architectural history for one of Canada’s forgotten gems, Grand Mere G.C., Quebec.[/size]

[/color]W[/size]

Ian Murray

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 11:21:18 AM »
When Grand Mere G.C was declared a forgotten Walter Travis and CH Alison layout in Quebec with a celebration event planned to mark this ‘discovery’ along comes Zachary Car who dug a little deeper. This scholarly, informative, beautifully illustrated piece, is an engaging sleuth of architectural history for one of Canada’s forgotten gems, Grand Mere G.C., Quebec.

Ian Murray

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 11:41:02 AM »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 12:42:17 PM »
Let me help out here, Ian:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ian Murray

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 01:57:19 PM »
Thanks Joe! That was magic. I have no idea what went wrong but I do remember the site and or author could be finicky.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 01:29:49 PM »
Ian: 

Very nicely written and researched article by Mr Car.

As he mentioned Jim Buki and I have discussed the L.E. Davis connection with the Logging Company.  He married a lady from the very upper part of Vermont.  After Syracuse and working in Cooperstown the position with the company came early.  I recently came across that Alison "was here today and went over the proposed lay-out of the additional nine-hole course.  This was"was on from the Montreal Gazette 4/25/1921, which fits in with the June 1921 date on his routing plan.  It also confirms Mr Car's thinking/timing later that summer of new holes added piece by piece and 12 hole courses etc. 

There is a one-page bio of Lavis in my book, but I think he deserves much more research.  I have him connected with several Alison courses over the length of C&A's 1920s office in Detroit and afterward.  The CC of Detroit, Timber Point, Port Huron GC, Orchard Lake, and the no longer existing Colony Club are among the few which I've connected Lavis with in a major way.

On a beautiful blue sky day in 2018 Grand'mere was stunning.  The combination of old school holes by the Old Man Travis (90 degree doglegs) with re-bunkering by Alison, the new Alison holes, and the combined Murray/Alison holes is unique.  In addition the whole place is literally built on rock.  Visible rock, in play rock, and hidden rock.  Ridges in the greens are earth laid over rock.

I have faith that Andy Staples will keep the unique aspects of this wonderful layout and spectacular site.

Exceptional place.
Anthony

David Harshbarger

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 10:56:14 PM »
the routing is sweet. What I guess is the Alison 9 is a figure 8 that spans the property. The Travis 9 is compact.

$39 apparently.

Wow
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Drew Harvie

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2023, 08:46:12 AM »
Apologies for pulling that link down from Mr. Zachary Car, but it is back up live.

We pulled it to match up with the announcement that Andy Staples will be restoring Grand-Mere over the next five years. Zac and I dove into the history and the future for Golf Course Architecture Magazine:

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/grand-m233re-recapturing-a-travis-and-alison-gem

It's a pretty amazing property. I've been three times (those are my photos in the GCA Mag article), and I think, if done correctly, it will be comfortably among the best in Canada, with a ceiling around Hamilton's current status. All 18 greens remain, there's been no major renovation since Alison visited in 1922, and other than a few bunkers missing and a handful of new trees, it is very similar to what they left. Exciting stuff

Jim Sherma

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2023, 08:50:04 AM »
I'm going to be in Grand Mere this summer and looking forward to checking it out. The chance to play the course is why we are routing a couple of days of our family vacation there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back