News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

The Original Redan
« on: April 20, 2023, 10:17:07 AM »
Edit 2: Clicking on an image will increase it to full size (if it isn't already full-size) and clicking again will reduce it.
Edit: I should add that this is several years old or more, but I don't believe I ever posted it here.

No, not that one.

This post is about that fortification defending Sevastopol (then Russian) during the siege of that city in 1854–1855, after which the 15th hole at North Berwick West was named. I would imagine this post will be of interest only to those anoraks who want to examine the most esoteric of the esoteric of golf architecture history. Even so, I’m going to be extremely light on historical exposition, with more of the focus on the visual, as is my wont.Redan is actually a generic term referring to a type of fortification commonly constructed then. But it is generally accepted that the 15th was named such, after the specific fortification already mentioned.Though it is true that the British forces seized control of the Redan by the conclusion of the battle, they were unable to take it during the assault due to its construction, design, extremely rocky and difficult surrounding terrain. (The British and French forces were much more successful elsewhere, hence the overall victory.)Judging by the number of books and articles from the time which have been placed online by colleges and libraries, the battle (and even something as insignificant as a fortification well less than the size of a football field; either type), was important. There are numerous examples of books available online, which will only be a small percentage of what exists overall. However, true historians and other well-informed people can correct/elaborate on this (if there is anyone who knows more, please jump in, I’m not infallible nor remotely well-versed in this time in history and am quite capable of fucking this up).So what did the word mean to those living at the time of the naming of the golf hole? Thinking out loud (or on the page), perhaps Redan signified eventual victory after great difficulty. Maybe it’s physical reality, as in defenses contrived of both designed and natural elements coming together, conspiring against its attackers. Or is it merely visual? I can’t answer any of these. Nonetheless, let’s have a look at some imagery which may give you some ideas.First, a couple of maps to orient you to the field of battle.In this simple map, you’ll find the Redan circled in red. Note its location relative to the inlet/bay just to its left, this will make it easier to interpret some subsequent images. I’ve also drawn a red arrow indicating the fortification called the “Little Redan”.

This next one is larger and more detailed. There is a key in the upper left portion of the map, indicating the location of the named feature. Either this map is more confusing, or incorrect, which I’ll describe with a cropped portion of the map, just below the full map.

Below you’ll see what I mean by the map being in error. The “9” circled in red is labelled in the key as the Redan. However, it is closest to the fortification circled in red to its right. Judging by everything else I’ve seen, this would be the Little Redan, and the area circled in violet would be the Redan.

Next is an image of the battlefield as seen from the British (who are located toward the bottom-right of the city in the maps above). The first is the original image, in the second one I’ve highlighted the Redan to make it easier to see.

This final set of images are plates depicting the battle. All feature the Redan.British storming of the Redan

Some Interior Views of the Redan

So, there is the least useful bit of trivia you’ll ever come across! Let us know what you think if you wish.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 11:56:41 AM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Matt Schoolfield

Re: The Original Redan
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 03:26:47 AM »
I like it
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 04:24:16 AM »
Nice exercise.
See also the likes of Spion Kop, Majuba etc.
atb

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »
It's interesting because if the battlefield had been arranged a little differently, we might be talking about the Mamelon or the Malakoff rather than the Redan as the 15th at NBWL. It's funny how accidents of history can ripple down through the ages.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 10:15:47 AM »
Charlie

I think you'll find that they likely named the 15th at North Berwick, Redan because it happened to resemble the landform at Sevastopol rather than building and designing the hole to resemble the landform at Sevastopol.

Niall

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 10:30:32 AM »
Charlie

I think you'll find that they likely named the 15th at North Berwick, Redan because it happened to resemble the landform at Sevastopol rather than building and designing the hole to resemble the landform at Sevastopol.

Niall

Maybe, but the maps and the drawings make most of the fortifications look very similar to me. The fact is the British were arrayed in front of the Redan and the French in front of the others I mention. That is what I meant.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 01:21:55 AM »
Thank you for doing this. It took a lot of work, but it was worth it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 11:45:35 AM »
Thank you for doing this. It took a lot of work, but it was worth it.

You're welcome Tommy and I appreciate it. It was a fun exercise and was fun rereading it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back