News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Shouldn't they have just restored Pine Barrens?
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2023, 07:23:11 AM »
Adding some new back tees on the holes starting at the three-way intersection (2, 7, 12) would have shortened the walking distances.

I'm not sure how adding back tees shortens walking distances. It will shorten the "dead" walk for people playing those tees, but not overall and certainly not for people not playing them. That said, I'm not opposed to a few long walks anyway.

Yes, it would shorten the 'dead' walk, not the overall walk. But my sense is that the dead walk is what people are mostly concerned about when discussing routing. The less dead walk between holes, the better.

And yes, it wouldn't shorten the walk for people not playing the back tees. But you can never have an equally short walk to all tees. Ideally, the shortest walk might be to the middle tees because that's what most people play. This is what you see on a lot of courses in the UK because the middle tees were the original tees and the back tees have been added (Walton Heath and Royal. St. George's have a lot of walkbacks to back tees).

But for me and I think for a lot of people who are concerned about this stuff, shortening the distance to the nearest set of tees, even if it's one that most people aren't playing, is a good thing.

Absolutely. The worst set ups of all are green to back tee transitions and walking back from greens for middle tees. Of course there are always exceptions, but I much prefer my general transition direction to from previous green adjacent to the next tee.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2023, 03:08:50 PM »
Had the pleasure to rate most of Grant/Sherman nines while they were under construction. Has anyone played the finished product?

From what i saw and played it left SB in the dust.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2023, 07:13:04 PM »
Had the pleasure to rate most of Grant/Sherman nines while they were under construction. Has anyone played the finished product?

From what i saw and played it left SB in the dust.

ed

Wrong place!  Never mind . . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back