News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

Re: How long 'til Torrey Pines falls in the ocean?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2023, 10:24:49 PM »
As long as it doesn't fall before April, Ill be ok with it. I will be taking my first trip around both the North and South courses with a few friends. That said, I don't think it has the architectural significance to be a great course. It is on my list of must play courses due to the history of the US Open and the great players who walked those grounds decades before. If an architect from today would have had the chance to build a course on that land, I would like to think there would be more use of the canyons as hazards, more width, and angles instead of tight fairways and greens guarded by bunkers left and right. Just looking at an aerial of the property, I can see some places where you could put some cape template holes. That is assuming however that you had a blank slate to work with. Given the setting of the place, it could have been something really special. That being said, I haven't played it and my opinion may change. Who knows?

Width? There is stupid width on all the holes not on the ocean or next to a cliff on both courses. It will play nothing remotely like what you see on TV. Only place you’ll lose a ball is if you hit it into the ocean or down the side of a hill l, or of course the dumb pond, but you get what I’m saying. All of the rough is super short and if you really send one off track you can find it easily on the adjacent hole because all the rough is mowed short. I played it 3 or 4 times and I remember thinking “wow this place is great for municipal golf because you never lose balls!” Pace of play walking was good everytime I’ve been there. Never took me more than 3:45 to get around.

TP is fan freakin tastic for everything in and about golf. The vibe there is awesome! It’s super cheap for locals and it performs an extremely valuable service to the community. I will never understand the hate. TP is the example of what golf is imo.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back