News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Suggestions Near Salem,Mass
« on: January 28, 2023, 08:24:22 AM »
In mid April I will be in Salem, Massachusetts for a few days . Any suggestions within about an hour drive in that area ?

Michael Moore

Re: Suggestions Near Salem,Mass
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 08:54:26 AM »
In mid-April I would recommend driving the full hour south to Plymouth where it’s sandy. Great golf town, take your pick.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 08:57:27 AM »
Thanks Mike ! Any one course jump out there ?

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 09:12:51 AM »
Thanks Mike ! Any one course jump out there ?

If you can get on Plymouth CC it’s a terrific par 69 Donald Ross course.

Michael Moore

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 10:06:13 AM »
Yeah, Plymouth might have you on a weekday afternoon. Otherwise Waverly Oaks, Pinehills Nicklaus, Crosswinds (for a 27-hole day) and Atlantic are all solid.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 10:41:54 AM »
While Plymouth offers many options I would not head south through Boston.  It will likely take closer to two hours with much traffic and aggravation.  Two options worth considering:

Red Tail - about 1 hour- https://www.redtailgolf.net/

Cape Arundel - 1.5 hours or so...https://www.capearundelgolfclub.com/

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 10:52:59 AM »
Rick--

Hate to be "Debbie Downer" here but typically mid April is can be pretty damn cold in MA!!

Michael Moore

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 11:02:19 AM »
Please don’t come to Maine in mid-April - for any reason!

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 02:17:54 PM »
I agree with Michael that Maine in Mid April is a good miss. As far as the Salem/North Shore area you have a very good chance of playing. Three privates that are pretty close and probably easier to access than the heavyweights are Tedesco, Winchester and Bass Rocks. Tedesco is less than five miles from the center of Salem while the other two are within twenty miles each. George Wright and Franklin Park are Boston city owned courses within 30 miles of Salem and worth the ride with GW the pick of the two for me.

Ben Malach

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 06:22:48 PM »
If you want a hidden gem the 9 hole Olde Salem Green is one of my favorite 9 hole courses. I have ever played. It's truly a great walk.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Luke Sutton

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 09:07:23 PM »
April? Massachusetts? That’s a big nope… may is iffy. Find somewhere south of the Mason Dixon to play. Since you mentioned Salem, come back in June and play Salem CC

Phil Burr

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 12:20:10 PM »
If your plans allow flexibility as to where you stay, the Ocean House Hotel in nearby Gloucester provides its guests access to the otherwise private Bass Rocks.  Designed by Herbert Leeds (of Myopia Hunt fame), Bass Rocks packs as much fun into a 6,000-yard par 69 course as I can think of anywhere this side of the pond.  When I visit friends in the area, I always spend at least one night at that hotel so I can enjoy a spin around the course.

Rick Sides

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 02:59:24 PM »
Phil with weather permitting I think I’m going to play there . It looks fun !

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 04:41:12 PM »
Hi Rick,

Here's what I get for not looking at GCA for several days!

I'm a member at Tedesco so that's an option, although last year we only had like 7 holes open until about 4/20.

Bass Rocks is fun for sure...no pre-conceived notions as it's funky in spots, but in a good old-world way.  That part of the North Shore sticks out into the ocean, so mid-April will be brisk, maybe 10-15 degrees colder than downtown Boston.

As for local publics that are hidden gems, there are a bunch, but mid-April will still be "grow away the winter kill" time...you'll still see the marks from the greens covers, maybe some punch holes from last fall's aeration...and greens will be furry.

Beverly Golf & Tennis, Gannon Municipal, and Olde Salem Greens (9) are all Stiles courses worthy of a play if in the area for a bit of time.  Further afield you have Red Tail (might not be open that early), the Boston munis George Wright and Franklin Park are fun but will be sketchy early...but they are sometimes scruffy at the best of times so that may be ok.  Plymouth has lots of public golf (plus private PCC, which is great!) and that area will be in full swing by mid-April but just that much South will be aeration time...usually mid-march to mid-april south of boston, and early May in town and north.  If committing to that area, South Shore CC is the affordable and really cool public between Boston and Plymouth...another one by Stiles.

Cape Arundel is fun too but a good 2 hours from Salem, and you're going the wrong direction for warmth and good golf conditions!

If you are a rater-type access will not be easy as they generally will not let you on that early.

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Max Prokopy

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 09:49:26 PM »
April is definitely hit and miss.  Red Tail is the better public option I know of.  A few holes are tree-ridden so that might delay their opening

If you're willing to go farther than 1 hour things open up earlier in the SE part of the state. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back