News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

Answering some questions regarding the Fry Straka Restoration of Belleair in Florida. I've played Belleair a number of times over the years and grabbed some pre construction shots in '20 and '21 and some 2023 post restoration pics. Ran and Connor have described the project very well. As a member of the Ross Society Board, I have watched from the outside, the transformation and conflict. The results however have delivered a spectacular Ross Restoration befitting the oldest course in Florida.

Belleair Hole 4 Before/After | V Halyard Photo

Connor and I had the pleasure of hosting some folks on Monday with some guests including Ross Society President Brad Becken and GCA-Jason Straka. In short, the project was transformative. The previous version had scraped and buried the Ross features under a generic mix of Florida Bermuda and tangled trees. There were ponds thrown around the property, the dunes were flattened, the natural creeks were buried, and the interesting elevation of the property was euthanized.

The Committees and members engaged in the normal litany of battles, including trepidation with regard to the true restoration of the Island 4th green. Restored hole 4 is outstanding and Hole 12 is a religious experience with a host of optical illusions and deceptions.

Belleair restored creek, bunkered approach, and 12th Green

Belleair Before After

To summarize, the GCA/Straka, committees, the board, and the membership settled on the right side of the restoration. They must have held a seance with Ross. The team referenced original Ross drawings and aerials and stuck to the plans. The results are no less than outstanding. They should be celebrated for battling through what I am guessing were the requisite “its too hard” and “ the dunes are too big” arguments. They liberated buried creeks, took out ALL of the nasty Florida ponds, and restored the magnificent Dunes/Cop Mounds specified by Ross on land naturally populated with dunes and mounds. (They are actually smaller than Ross had specified in his plans)

I anticipate that the struggle to maintain the integrity of the restoration without watering down features and grassing over mounds will likely be ongoing.
I assume it will be as hard as folks struggle with the need for cart paths. Those are realities.
The gca community would enjoy looking at this project.
This is Oakland Hills, Lake Merced level restorative and transformative.

Belleair restored Hole 11 | V Halyard Photo

Their boldness should be celebrated. Go See it. Kudos to the committee, Management, Straka and the Members that went after it.
Some folks like to talk all about GCA but when it gets nasty, they go and hide.
I have an affinity for those that will jump into the fire.
They crushed it and are still mopping up the blood on their floor from folks that tried to stab them.

Restored Hole 3 V. Halyard Photo

Flags on Restored Holes 3,4,6 and new 7 - V Halyard Photo
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 09:26:49 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jim O’Kane

Re: Belleair CC Florida - Before (2021) - After (2023 restoration) Photos
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 02:10:34 AM »
Those pictures are magnificent and really showcase the changes. It's one thing to read about it, but another to see it -- especially if you've never been there. Thank you for sharing. 'Twas a most enjoyable read. I thought about attending your and Connor's hosting. I should have.

V_Halyard

Re: Belleair CC Florida - Before (2021) - After (2023 restoration) Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 07:27:55 AM »
Those pictures are magnificent and really showcase the changes. It's one thing to read about it, but another to see it -- especially if you've never been there. Thank you for sharing. 'Twas a most enjoyable read. I thought about attending your and Connor's hosting. I should have.
No worries. We’ll do a few more. We have a good time, celebration of history, architecture, friendship, and beverages.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back