News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

New Year's resolutions
« on: January 16, 2023, 01:16:36 PM »
I didn't see this anywhere, so I decided to begin a discussion.

I have two golf related.
1. Practice. I need to spend more time on the practice tee and short game area. At 75, my skills are waning. In the last five years, my handicap has gone from 5 to 8.8. Yikes.

2. Play golf rather than golf course. By that, I mean play where I live. I resigned my membership at Ballyhack. Instead of playing at my home course, I played mostly Dormie courses. They are all pretty good. Last year I played the course that is less than a mile from my home 2 times. It is a Doak 4. It usually is in good condition, although the greens are slow. It lacks architectural interest, but it is fun if I don't redesign in my head every hole I play.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Schley

Re: New Year's resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 01:29:19 PM »
Tommy hate to say it but maybe you are becoming forgetful?  ;D
You started the same thread on new years day.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,71591.msg1720733.html#msg1720733
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 02:23:12 PM »
Tommy hate to say it but maybe you are becoming forgetful?  ;D
You started the same thread on new years day.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,71591.msg1720733.html#msg1720733

Holy moley. I even looked.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 03:19:39 PM »
Tom,

I missed it too.

Golf Resolution: finally accept after 15 years of frustration that at age 65 l am never going to have the distance I did at age 25. Swing for a solid strike and then let my mediocre short game do the rest.

Golf Architecture Resolution: Go back to courses we enjoy and worry less about getting to new ones. Partially achieved by booking Elie and Crail Balcomie this summer. But darn if one of the rounds conflicts with a successful ballot for TOC (failed on our first trip).

We may be past the HNY dateline, but indeed a HNY to all. Hit ‘em well and not too often (on any one round).

Ira

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 05:00:24 PM »
Coming to terms that six months away from age 65 I'm not going to play consistently well until I can practice/play more regularly and that can't happen until I retire but I'm probably not going to retire for another two years.

So.. enjoy the ride and try to play some more new courses to add to the 1,236 courses I've played to date.

Thankfully, THAT excitement of stepping on the first tee of a course I've never played before NEVER gets old.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 06:06:26 PM »
Tom,

I missed it too.

Golf Resolution: finally accept after 15 years of frustration that at age 65 l am never going to have the distance I did at age 25. Swing for a solid strike and then let my mediocre short game do the rest.

Golf Architecture Resolution: Go back to courses we enjoy and worry less about getting to new ones. Partially achieved by booking Elie and Crail Balcomie this summer. But darn if one of the rounds conflicts with a successful ballot for TOC (failed on our first trip).

We may be past the HNY dateline, but indeed a HNY to all. Hit ‘em well and not too often (on any one round).

Ira

Ira-Like you and Mike Cirba I’ll also turn 65 this year and can’t hit it out of my shadow. ;D I have begrudgingly accepted this fact and luckily it has little to no impact on my enjoyment of the game. I’ve never been inclined to practice outside of some occasional chipping and putting and 8 or ten balls on the range before a round. Despite still having a desire to see new courses it’s not as fervent as it once was and I made it a point this past year and will continue going forward to replay the ones I really enjoy. I applaud Mike and others who have played north of 1000 courses as it’s an incredible accomplishment but after many years of playing as many as I could I’m now chasing the ones that I want to see versus those I’m merely aware of or happen to drive past. There are some courses I’m not interested in playing for different reasons but mostly attributed to having been lucky to seeing plenty of good/great ones through the years. Don’t get me wrong because I’m happy to take a flyer on a no name if I’ve got some positive intel. ;D  Happy New Year to all!!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 06:08:31 PM by Tim Martin »

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 06:26:25 PM »
Don't let my score describe the day.

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 06:50:07 PM »
 8)

Ha Ha

Just read all the resolutions and as expected ...A] I'm not going to accept hitting it so shitty ! B) I'm losing twenty pounds  :P

and will probably be a curmudgeon if either A or B  aren't achieved

However will still love to grab a pint or two (three)  with any of you guys, spend too much time in bars at the Jersey Shore particularly those with live music .... hope to have another golf outing and dinner here this spring with all the guys that love golf and GCA !

maybe a Philly best storytelling party with a few living legends
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 06:54:05 PM by archie_struthers »

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 01:26:05 PM »
8)

Ha Ha

Just read all the resolutions and as expected ...A] I'm not going to accept hitting it so shitty ! B) I'm losing twenty pounds  :P

and will probably be a curmudgeon if either A or B  aren't achieved

However will still love to grab a pint or two (three)  with any of you guys, spend too much time in bars at the Jersey Shore particularly those with live music .... hope to have another golf outing and dinner here this spring with all the guys that love golf and GCA !

maybe a Philly best storytelling party with a few living legends

Hoping I can make it this year, Archie!

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 04:50:36 PM »
 ;D

Mike we had a nice time last year and as fun as the golf was (other than Bausch winning) could see a bigger better get together in the making. We would probably play Shore Club again and perhaps take a peek at Union League.

Dinner was really fun and lots of scratch eaters and drinkers attended. Maybe early spring which is coming at us fast 8)

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 04:52:09 PM »
;D

Mike we had a nice time last year and as fun as the golf was (other than Bausch winning) could see a bigger better get together in the making. We would probably play Shore Club again and perhaps take a peek at Union League.

Dinner was really fun and lots of scratch eaters and drinkers attended. Maybe early spring which is coming at us fast 8)

All ears here.   

Bausch is a spoil-sport, isn't he?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back