News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: Bandon Dunes - What is it worth?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 11:12:55 AM »
https://clubandresortbusiness.com/club-resort-business-top-ranked-pro-shops-for-2022/
Not sure how they do it but revenue is somehwere in there. I haven't even heard or half these places.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Buck Wolter

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 11:17:51 AM »
Steve, I forgot about Pebble but I'd still take Pinehurst. If someone is in the area, be it playing TR or MP/PN/SP, they're gonna visit the Pinehurst pro shop.
Top three (upon reflection) gotta be Pinehurst, Pebble, St. Andrews.

Putterboy?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 12:08:56 PM »
There aren’t more than 100 golfers in the world that would purchase a Pinehurst shirt without playing one of the courses. It’s can’t win bravado.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 03:52:46 PM »
https://clubandresortbusiness.com/club-resort-business-top-ranked-pro-shops-for-2022/
Not sure how they do it but revenue is somehwere in there. I haven't even heard or half these places.

This list is borderline bogus. Without the likes of a Pebble Beach, Winged Foot, The Country Club, Kiawah, Sea Island, or a Streamsong, it seems woefully deficient. The methodology for arriving at those names seems a little fishy to me.
I'm in the business of buying courses and am familiar with some of the names on it and the only commonality they have is pricey pro shops.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 08:35:34 PM »
There aren’t more than 100 golfers in the world that would purchase a Pinehurst shirt without playing one of the courses. It’s can’t win bravado.

JK, you've stated this in the past.

100 golfers may have (golfing or non-golfing) friends that will never visit Pinehurst or other "rated" courses.

Non-golfing friends have sent me hats from St. Andrews and Pebble Beach. I haven't played either but I wear them. Definitely ain't bravado.

Back to the merchandise aspect, I'm now confident Pinehurst has to be number one.
2024 US Open memorabilia has been in the shop for a year now. Every six years they can highlight a "new" shirt.

Outside of Pebble and St. Andrews, who can touch that?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 08:57:19 PM »
I fully understand why someone who doesn’t play golf would buy a hat from TOC or Pebble. Each can stimulate an interesting discussion worth the investment because of the interaction of architecture upon nature. Talk about the town, the pubs, the food the views and the people. Golf is secondary. Pinehurst offers no outs for the non-golfer to discuss. You simply own a hat.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 09:22:30 PM »
I miss Mike Davis. My wife is a member of the USGA. We used to receive a hat from the US Open venue. Now we get a calendar.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2023, 05:16:57 AM »
I miss Mike Davis. My wife is a member of the USGA. We used to receive a hat from the US Open venue. Now we get a calendar.

ACTUALLY

We used to get a nice quarterly glossy magazine with interesting history and other golf related articles. But that precedes Mike Davis.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 06:25:33 AM »

ACTUALLY

We used to get a nice quarterly glossy magazine with interesting history and other golf related articles. But that precedes Mike Davis.

Yes! And a rules book plus a bag tag. Those were the days.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

David Cronan

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2023, 09:02:06 AM »

This list is borderline bogus. Without the likes of a Pebble Beach, Winged Foot, The Country Club, Kiawah, Sea Island, or a Streamsong, it seems woefully deficient. The methodology for arriving at those names seems a little fishy to me.
I'm in the business of buying courses and am familiar with some of the names on it and the only commonality they have is pricey pro shops.

Steve,

The rankings only take into account those clubs and resorts who actually submitted entries.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2023, 09:34:32 AM »

Steve,

The rankings only take into account those clubs and resorts who actually submitted entries.

Exactly....Imagine if courses, restaurant, or hotels were ranked on the volunteer system ?
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 02:16:28 PM »
ACTUALLY

We get that again!
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back