News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Chambers Bay
« on: January 14, 2023, 12:57:58 PM »
I will be in Seattle a few days this summer . I know Chambers Bay took a lot of heat at the US Open . For those have played it , is it worth a play or do you have any other suggestions in Seattle area/ Northern Oregon ?

Brent Carlson

Re: Chambers Bay
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 03:20:29 PM »
Rick,

I've played Chambers quite a bit and recommend it.  It's unique in the golf world and you will have an opinion one way or the other.  I also like Gold Mountain - Olympic.

Brent

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 04:52:44 PM »
I was in Seattle last March and absolutely loved it. I think it would be a mistake to miss it.

Rick Sides

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 05:09:57 PM »
Cal it looks great. Did you take a caddy ?

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 05:35:56 PM »
I did not. I played with a couple of local guys pulling trolleys. I have a small Sunday bag I use when I’m traveling. At 50 years old I didn’t find the walk all that bad, a couple of tall climbs, but nothing crazy.

DFarron

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 06:25:41 PM »
Played there in March and thoroughly enjoyed it except for the greens……they were super slow.

The walk is a bit stout but nothing an average shape person couldn’t take and the views are stunning.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 07:52:22 PM »
What else is there around Seattle that's even worth a second thought?

Charlie Ray

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 08:30:36 PM »
Farther from Seattle than I imagined:  An hour drive. 

Municiple Course?  Yes, in the sense that there is a public walking trail running through the course and the Practice Range used at the Open was full of people enjoying their dogs.  (practice range was warm-up only and irons only?... a positive for me, as hitting balls before playing has no correlation in quality of course)   No, riding a shuttle to the first tee seems very odd for a municipal course.

Architecturally: aesthetically it fits the bill of 'great/good,' sometimes fast and firm 'look' of what is celebrated on this site.  I find it plays very similar to the defunct Prince Course on Kauai, another RTJ Jr. Course.  (#10 is just as bad as #12 on the Prince Crs, but both are VERY pleasing on the eyes.)  Green complexes are nothing special irrespective of inconsistency with agronomy/maintenance.   

Worth a play?  Yes.  Special only because it was built.  Very little substance in routing and design.  Don't think it would garner discussion if not for '15 US Open. 

Gamble Sands is worth the long drive (4.5 hours from Seattle) as an upgrade.

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 09:07:05 PM »
Rick,

I've played Chambers quite a bit and recommend it.  It's unique in the golf world and you will have an opinion one way or the other.  I also like Gold Mountain - Olympic.

Brent

Good suggestion...

Ms Sheila and I played Gold Mountain in the morning and then drove to CB to play at a twilight rate back in 2010... CB had many great looks but it didn't play as linksy or fast as we expected at that time.  Would like to play it again, only remember I think steep hill on #12 being a challenge, maybe it was speed to see where drive ended up.. ::)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 01:04:40 PM »
Rick,

I would also highly recommend a round at CB.  It is a bit of a tough walk, so you're probably gonna feel it.

P.S.  Not sure what your schedule is like, but if you're willing to do some car time, a loop to include Gamble Sands and Wine Valley is well worth it.  All 3 are solid DS 8s in my book.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 01:10:20 PM »
Hey Rick, I'd also highly recommend Chambers. 

Another one I happened to play when I was out there that I would take a look at is West Seattle GC, a Chandler Egan design that I enjoyed a good deal. 

But I would play Chambers without hesitation. 

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 03:23:45 PM »
I lived in University Place for a time and was also a member at Fircrest when Jeff Mingay was just getting started with his work there. I loved Fircrest and thought it was extremely underrated. I equate it to sort of a Pacific Northwest version of Palmetto in some ways. That said, skipping Chambers is a massive mistake. As Tom notes, in the Puget Sound area, it’s Chambers and then everything else.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:26:18 PM by Ben Sims »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 04:59:58 PM »
Why does CB get a $$$ pass?

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 06:05:55 PM »

Your course at Tumble Creek, 80 miles east. Otherwise, it's Chambers Bay with maybe Sahalee (through the trees), Aldarra, Inglewood, Fircrest, and Gold Mountain on the Olympic Peninsula at the next level. In town, Seattle GC is a better club than course, and Sand Point is fun, sporty, and creative with David Kidd's recent renovation. No great public golf offerings in Western Washington outside of Chambers.

Peter Flory

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 06:13:24 PM »
I will be in Seattle a few days this summer . I know Chambers Bay took a lot of heat at the US Open . For those have played it , is it worth a play or do you have any other suggestions in Seattle area/ Northern Oregon ?

I've only played it once, just after it opened, but I would absolutely love to get back out there.  My brother lived in Seattle for 10 years and I can't think of much else to recommend.  Sahalee was better than I expected and I have good memories from Gold Mountain, but they aren't in the same league as Chambers. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 08:50:00 PM »
No clue what hurt the nay-sayers. We played it in 2015, after a week at Bandon. We had grapefruits for calves by then, and the walk was still challenging (I had just turned 50 that week.) I recall the shuttle down to #1 tee, and another shuttle up to #4 or #5 tee (like Heatattack Hill on Bandon Trails.)

I would play Chambers Bay again and again, and I would enjoy the photography as much as the golf. Spectacular routing and workmanship. Enjoy!!
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 09:01:49 PM »

JK,

I'll take a stab at this given it may have been partially directed at me.

Just looked on Chambers site and there are oodles of tee times in May for $220/pp.  Even June and - August are only a bit more @ $240-280/pp. 

Compare that to:

Pebble @ $625/PP + 3 night minimum lodging at over $1000 per night.... just to lock in one tee time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 09:11:04 PM by Kalen Braley »

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 10:57:03 PM »
I played there shortly after the US Amateur, so it's been a while. I thought it was a blast, though a couple of holes had a goofy golf element. I'd love to play it again, but doubt I'd play it frequently if I lived in the area.

I'd have been lost without a caddy, both in getting around and how to play many holes.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 12:13:16 AM »
A public(?) course that doesn't allow carts is just wrong. :P
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 08:26:33 AM »

JK,

I'll take a stab at this given it may have been partially directed at me.

Just looked on Chambers site and there are oodles of tee times in May for $220/pp.  Even June and - August are only a bit more @ $240-280/pp. 

Compare that to:

Pebble @ $625/PP + 3 night minimum lodging at over $1000 per night.... just to lock in one tee time.

Thanks for setting the standard. Erin Hills is a more accurate comparison from an architectural and cultural perspective.

Kevin Stark

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 08:27:26 AM »

Not much. I played Chambers Bay after the US Amateur but before they flattened a bunch of the greens. I thought it was just dreadful, but I'm in the minority there. Maybe it's better now after the work. Gorgeous views though.

Aldarra and Gold Mountain Olympic are about it. I lived there for three years and I tell everyone who asks me about places to play to leave their clubs at home and go visit Rainier and North Cascades instead.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 10:40:10 AM »
I lived in University Place for a time and was also a member at Fircrest when Jeff Mingay was just getting started with his work there. I loved Fircrest and thought it was extremely underrated. I equate it to sort of a Pacific Northwest version of Palmetto in some ways. That said, skipping Chambers is a massive mistake. As Tom notes, in the Puget Sound area, it’s Chambers and then everything else.

Hi Ben,

I can't believe how long it's been since we ran into each other on the 3rd green at Fircrest, while we were working on that hole.

Fircrest was a tough place to work. Very few members appreciate the course's pedigree, and weren't even willing to learn about it. As a result, we've been unable to get everything that needs to be done, done. That being said, while it's probably not worth a special trip, Fircrest is still a fun course to play and an interesting one to see if you're heading to play Chambers and have time for another round. Tacoma Country & Golf Club is another good option, if you have some time in the area.

Similarly, the old private clubs in Seattle might not be worth a special trip, but you're going to have fun playing Inglewood, Broadmoor ... even Overlake. But, wait until we're done with Overlake in March  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2023, 10:53:01 AM »
I should also add that superintendent Mike Goldsberry has done some really neat stuff at Wing Point, on Bainbridge Island (30 minutes ferry ride from downtown Seattle). I've been fortunate to help Mike and his staff out with some significant improvement at Wing Point over the last few years, and more.

Our par 3 10th has become one of the most controversial holes in the Puget Sound  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Ben Sims

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2023, 12:41:26 PM »

Hi Ben,

I can't believe how long it's been since we ran into each other on the 3rd green at Fircrest, while we were working on that hole.

Fircrest was a tough place to work. Very few members appreciate the course's pedigree, and weren't even willing to learn about it. As a result, we've been unable to get everything that needs to be done, done. That being said, while it's probably not worth a special trip, Fircrest is still a fun course to play and an interesting one to see if you're heading to play Chambers and have time for another round.

Jeff,

It’s been a minute that’s for sure!

I’ll agree that Fircrest was an interesting place. The land movement was pretty good in my opinion, and the siting of the greens were, for the most part, well done. As a golfer first, the mentality at the club was a bit of a bummer for me. It was a nice hang and the folks were nice. But for the most part I’m not so sure they (members and staff) had any clue what they were sitting on.

Not that you require it, but I’ll say that what you were allowed to do there drastically improved a number of holes. Holes like 2, 9, 13, 16, and 17 were massively better.

For the purposes of this thread, like a number of the best courses in the Puget Sound, it’s worth a visit if you’re there and have the time. But a Chambers is the main event. Hope you’re well Jeff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back