News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gallant

The Addington - The best restoration in British history
« on: January 12, 2022, 03:32:06 PM »
The Addington is currently going through a restoration project, and the preliminary results are in…and wow! They are early in the process, but the writing is on the wall - this is and will be the best restoration project in Britain…maybe of all-time.

Let me explain. The Addington was built by JF Abercromby, and it was his baby. He was incredibly proud, and involved with the course until his death in the 30s. From there, a prominent family took charge of the course, and had the view that no one must ever touch Abercromby’s creation. And so the course stayed basically untouched for decades until the daughter passed away and the course was sold, where it subsequently fell into disrepair. And yet, almost nothing on the ground had changed in 100+ years when the Noades family bought the course and decided to restore it exactly to how Abercromby had built it.

Which brings us to the present. You might be asking ‘If it hasn’t been touched, what needs to be restored?’ As we know, golf courses are living organisms, and over time, the hilly property became choked with trees, while bunkers and greens lost size and scale. As a result of the tree encroachment, the turf quality suffered, and heather was squeezed out.

Led by Ryan Noades (Managing Director), CDP were hired and a restoration plan was devised using old aerial photos, as well as on-ground shots (where available). This is a 5-year, 4-phase project and currently the project is in year 2 (I believe, possibly year 3). So far they have focused their efforts on tree removal (on a massive scale), expanding fairways and replanting heather strategically around the property. They are also slowly bringing the greens back out to their original shapes, recapturing false fronts, pockets between its famous mounds for devilish pins, and side slopes that will reclaim shot options.

So why is it the best restoration in British history? First, the course has some of the most unique and distinct holes in the UK, which are being polished to shine their brightest. In an era when the rest of the UK seems to be snuffing out unique features faster than you can say M&E, The Addington is a throwback to an era when golf was a physical pursuit that called for heroics! There is absolutely nothing watered down about this course. It is a punch in the face of a golf course with the dial turned to 12. Simply put, it’s a course worth restoring, which not all courses are. It is a monument to Abercromby, and should sit with the other Gods of the golfing world.

And the second reason it’s the best restoration project? I would hardly call Ryan a benevolent dictator, but the buck stops with him and his family, which means no members and committees are fumbling with the football. I was lucky enough to get a copy of the restoration plan, and this isn’t a ‘restoration’ with inverted commas, this is a 100% restoration. If it wasn’t on the ground when Abercromby passed, then it won’t be on the golf course. It takes a hell of an owner (and architecture firm) to put their ego aside and let this Abercromby be just that…an Abercromby.

If you play one round this year in the UK, make it The Addington. They are only part of the way through the process, and there is still so much to do. But it’s a blast to see what they’re doing, and knowing what will be.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 09:49:12 AM by Tim Gallant »

Tom_Doak

Re: The Addington - The best restoration in British history
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 03:57:15 PM »
The Addington is currently going through a restoration project, and the preliminary results are in…and wow! They are early in the process, but the writing is on the wall - this is and will be the best restoration project in Britain…maybe of all-time.

Let me explain. The Addington was built by JF Abercrombie, and it was his baby. He was incredibly proud, and involved with the course until his death in the 30s. From there, a prominent family took charge of the course, and had the view that no one must ever touch Abercrombie’s creation. And so the course stayed basically untouched for decades until the daughter passed away and the course was sold, where it subsequently fell into disrepair. And yet, almost nothing on the ground had changed in 100+ years when the Noades family bought the course and decided to restore it exactly to how Abercrombie had built it.

Which brings us to the present. You might be asking ‘If it hasn’t been touched, what needs to be restored?’ As we know, golf courses are living organisms, and over time, the hilly property became choked with trees, while bunkers and greens lost size and scale. As a result of the tree encroachment, the turf quality suffered, and heather was squeezed out.

Led by Ryan Noades (Managing Director), CDP were hired and a restoration plan was devised using old aerial photos, as well as on-ground shots (where available). This is a 5-year, 4-phase project and currently the project is in year 2 (I believe, possibly year 3). So far they have focused their efforts on tree removal (on a massive scale), expanding fairways and replanting heather strategically around the property. They are also slowly bringing the greens back out to their original shapes, recapturing false fronts, pockets between its famous mounds for devilish pins, and side slopes that will reclaim shot options.

So why is it the best restoration in British history? First, the course has some of the most unique and distinct holes in the UK, which are being polished to shine their brightest. In an era when the rest of the UK seems to be snuffing out unique features faster than you can say M&E, The Addington is a throwback to an era when golf was a physical pursuit that called for heroics! There is absolutely nothing watered down about this course. It is a punch in the face of a golf course with the dial turned to 12. Simply put, it’s a course worth restoring, which not all courses are. It is a monument to Abercrombie, and should sit with the other Gods of the golfing world.

And the second reason it’s the best restoration project? I would hardly call Ryan a benevolent dictator, but the buck stops with him and his family, which means no members and committees are fumbling with the football. I was lucky enough to get a copy of the restoration plan, and this isn’t a ‘restoration’ with inverted commas, this is a 100% restoration. If it wasn’t on the ground when Abercrombie passed, then it won’t be on the golf course. It takes a hell of an owner (and architecture firm) to put their ego aside and let this Abercrombie be just that…an Abercrombie.

If you play one round this year in the UK, make it The Addington. They are only part of the way through the process, and there is still so much to do. But it’s a blast to see what they’re doing, and knowing what will be.

Great to hear that the course that led off the Gourmet's Choice in the original version of The Confidential Guide will be properly restored.

When I first played there, the shot from the back tee at the 10th had to hit over the top of a big tree that was growing out of the ravine in front of the tee; it wasn't too high to carry, because of the depth of the ravine, but it looked like you were hitting over a big gumdrop and the fairway was completely blind!  The regular tee was offset to the right so you played around the tree.

When I went back ~15 years ago, the tree had been removed as it had gotten too big.  I'm sure it wasn't a feature that Abercromby himself had thought of, but wow it was cool while it worked!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 04:51:37 AM »
I took a walk around the course with Ryan Noades last summer and can confirm that the tree clearance has made a dramatic improvement to the landscape. Where there were dark, tree lined corridors there is now bright sunlight and views over adjacent holes and the skyline of London. It's looking very good.

They still have much to do, but Tim is right, it's well worth a play.

It certainly is the most comprehensive restoration project in the UK, even more so than Woodhall Spa.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 05:04:47 AM »
We should note that Addington wasn't solely Aber's work, Colt partnered with him on the course design.

No-one, to my knowledge, has yet been able to work out who did what, but it is worth being aware that at least one newspaper of the time mentioned Colt only in relation to the course.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 05:16:13 AM »
We should note that Addington wasn't solely Aber's work, Colt partnered with him on the course design.

No-one, to my knowledge, has yet been able to work out who did what, but it is worth being aware that at least one newspaper of the time mentioned Colt only in relation to the course.

Are soft on Aber considering his work seems to invariably include another archie of repute as a somewhat silent partner?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 05:33:03 AM »

Are soft on Aber considering his work seems to invariably include another archie of repute as a somewhat silent partner?

Ciao

Eh?
Adam Lawrence

Tim Gallant

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 07:22:45 AM »

Adam,

Really interesting! Given your expertise, are there any holes or features that strike you as being 'Colt-esq'? Casting my mind back, I could definitely see the 3rd as resembling some other uphill par-3 Colt holes, but that's really just a total guess.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 07:38:01 AM »

Adam,

Really interesting! Given your expertise, are there any holes or features that strike you as being 'Colt-esq'? Casting my mind back, I could definitely see the 3rd as resembling some other uphill par-3 Colt holes, but that's really just a total guess.

Well, obviously the thirteenth has often been compared to the fifth at Pine Valley, which as is well known is a Colt hole. They would have been conceived within a few months of each other, too.
Adam Lawrence

Tim Gallant

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 09:48:27 AM »
Writing a full report and spelling the architect's name incorrectly...doh!! All fixed!

Mike Feeney

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 10:29:27 AM »
Adam captured Addington's compelling restoration in this month's GCA issue.  https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/digital/magazine/issue71/
Well-researched & beautifully written piece...fun to compare Adam's take on Addington's restoration and then, revisit Ran's review, from years ago, on this site.  Impossible not to daydream-a-scheme to get to London ASAP.

Loved this issue, beyond Addington coverage, Adam's Welcome Letter & Feature on width, Mike Clayton's persuasive thoughts on how Britain is missing the boat, that is, stuck in the Dark Ages of GCA, Ron Kirby interview, & Old Chatham's recent updates make for a great read.

Sam Krume

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »
This is without doubt the most excited i've been about a golf course in a very very very long time. Ive played The Add on and off for the last 35 years (who remembers the peacocks!) and to see the recent images, well what can I say..... Ryan, i doff my cap to you. Its going to be on another level..

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 11:14:21 AM »
Bill Gayne and I played 36 at the Addington in September.  The course was a bit rough around the edges due to it being mid-project. I was surprisingly a little disappointed in the course despite some wonderful holes, terrific greens and beautiful views opened up by the tree clearing. 

I found some of the holes too awkward to comprise great golf.  Some of the most lauded holes were ones I did not like on first impression.  The 9th consists of a lay-up tee shot to a knob that I could not figure out how to play.  The 12th is a short par 5 (or long par 4- information differed) where one needs to bounce the tee shot through heather to have a chance of reaching the green in two.  In any sort of competition, I think I would just lay up, lay up and pitch.  The 13th seemed too awkward to be held in as high esteem as it is.  The green tilts right to left and pretty much requires a fade to hold the green.  Quite a challenge at 215 yards, particularly for someone whose "fade" is a five yard hook.

Nonetheless it is the course I think most about from the trip.  I may need more familiarity before I fully appreciate its charms.   

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 03:08:48 AM »
Addy isn't an elegant course in the way Swinley, SGH or Sunny Old are. Perhaps this is due to the site, I am not exactly sure. But I must say the routing doesn't feel Colt-like to me. Addy is a rugged design, a bit of a ball breaker, somewhat charmless. But it does have bags of character.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:04:43 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 03:38:56 AM »
I think the lack of elegance Sean perceives is partially at least down to the soil, which is pure gravel, not sand like so many of the famous nearby courses. Thus it is a bit stony and hardscrabble. There is heather, but not a huge amount at the moment (Ryan is very keen to encourage more and I’m sure it is high on course manager Kerr Rowan’s priority list).

As regards the routing, Frank P shares your view, Sean. He says that Colt would have immediately routed a par three across the ravine. Can’t be sure obviously, but it’s not a bad argument
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 05:01:48 AM »
I think the lack of elegance Sean perceives is partially at least down to the soil, which is pure gravel, not sand like so many of the famous nearby courses. Thus it is a bit stony and hardscrabble. There is heather, but not a huge amount at the moment (Ryan is very keen to encourage more and I’m sure it is high on course manager Kerr Rowan’s priority list).

As regards the routing, Frank P shares your view, Sean. He says that Colt would have immediately routed a par three across the ravine. Can’t be sure obviously, but it’s not a bad argument

I have stayed away from Addy until more work is complete. All the new work photos, and I mean all, impress me. I hope the 7th will be properly restored even though the lack of views to the left can never be what they once must have been.

What are the chances the house gets moved?

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:06:11 AM by Sean_A »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 05:57:23 AM »

What are the chances the house gets moved?

Ciao

I think it will happen.
Adam Lawrence

Brett Meyer

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 06:13:37 AM »
I found some of the holes too awkward to comprise great golf.  Some of the most lauded holes were ones I did not like on first impression.  The 9th consists of a lay-up tee shot to a knob that I could not figure out how to play.  The 12th is a short par 5 (or long par 4- information differed) where one needs to bounce the tee shot through heather to have a chance of reaching the green in two.  In any sort of competition, I think I would just lay up, lay up and pitch.  The 13th seemed too awkward to be held in as high esteem as it is.  The green tilts right to left and pretty much requires a fade to hold the green.  Quite a challenge at 215 yards, particularly for someone whose "fade" is a five yard hook.

I played the Addington I think 7 times between 2016 and 2018 and it was true then that the most famous holes had become the most questionable. You really had to think of the 12th as two 230 yard par 3s where on each shot, you'd better hit it almost exactly 230 yards. I managed to get down to that first fairway tier once and that made it a 200 yard second shot, but if you tried to do this, you were likely to get stuck in the long grass/heather between the tiers. Hopefully they've gotten rid of that. Just as big a problem for me was the tree growth on the left side of the approach, which meant that your second 230 shot had to be very accurate. But it looks like they've corrected that problem.

I also never understood the fuss about the 13th. It's just hard. There's no reasonable way to run the ball onto the green or to get it to kick in from the right, so it's a carry-and-stop long iron or fairway wood to a small green. I preferred the long par 3 13th at Tandridge, where if you carried the crossing bunkers short, you could bank one onto the green off the left side.

9 plays completely different if the fairway is soft or hard. If it's soft, you hit a long iron into the fairway, it stops, you've got a 150-170 yards second. If it's firm, because the fairway is shaped like a contact lens, your ball almost always rolls into the junk unless you lay well back.

The other best hole was the par 5 16th, which had been crippled by tree growth. But it looks like they've cut most of that back. The other holes that really needed tree removal were 2, 4-5, and 15 and it looks like they've addressed all of those too. That plus the greens restoration makes it, along with the redesigned Liphook, the course that I'd most like to see again when I get back to London.

Addy isn't an elegant course in the way Swinley, SGH or Sunny Old are. Perhaps this is due to the site, I am not exactly sure. But I must say the routing doesn't feel Colt-like to me. Addy is a rugged design, a bit of a ball breaker, somewhat charmless. But it does have bags of character.

Ciao

I think one of the major differences is that the Addington is routed over the top of a hill while the others are on broader, more rolling terrain. It's pretty incredible to me that there are only two awkward holes (8 and 12) given the nature of the property.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 06:29:28 AM »
Yes, the site is difficult and I think the design reflects this.

I agree that 8 & 12 are awkward, but I hope tree removal has moved the 8th more toward great.

I find 9 not very satisfying. It always felt like a ran out of room hole and very un-Colt-like.

14 is an under the radar hole and a perfect time for subtlety.

It will be interesting to see if Addy can regain some of its rep.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:21:13 AM by Sean_A »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 08:06:39 AM »
I’m quite sure it will. The media is going to be all over it.
Adam Lawrence

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 09:20:03 AM »

Why do you think, Adam? I can’t see the mainstream golf media in the UK taking much notice. It is far less interested in this kind of stuff than its US equivalent is… I assume you just mean the niche, GCA-nerd media?

Did people take that much notice of the Woodhall Spa work?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 09:51:31 AM »

Why do you think, Adam? I can’t see the mainstream golf media in the UK taking much notice. It is far less interested in this kind of stuff than its US equivalent is… I assume you just mean the niche, GCA-nerd media?

Did people take that much notice of the Woodhall Spa work?

In the last few years the golf media has got a lot more interested in courses, travel and architecture. IMO this is because they've realised that the sort of golfers who travel to play are the sort of people advertisers want to reach. Just look how many different rankings Chris Bertram has produced in Golf World in the last couple of years. You may think they're silly but they get noticed, and they always include course coverage.

It's not the detailed stuff architecture geeks would want but it's a hell of a lot better than ten or twenty years ago.
Adam Lawrence

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 06:53:45 PM »

In the last few years the golf media has got a lot more interested in courses, travel and architecture. IMO this is because they've realised that the sort of golfers who travel to play are the sort of people advertisers want to reach. Just look how many different rankings Chris Bertram has produced in Golf World in the last couple of years. You may think they're silly but they get noticed, and they always include course coverage.

It's not the detailed stuff architecture geeks would want but it's a hell of a lot better than ten or twenty years ago.

Funny how times change.

Forty years ago when I was doing my tour of the U.K., The Addington was never mentioned anywhere, but I'd heard of it and wanted to visit.   But I couldn't, because the management then was pretty weird and they told me I couldn't come as a single, and I didn't have anyone to bring with me!

Two years later, GOLF WORLD had named it in their first U.K. Top 100 list, and the editors [who I knew] invited me to come and play there and at Isle of Purbeck, which were the only two courses in the top 100 that I hadn't seen on my tour!  The Addington was very run down maintenance-wise, but I thought it was terrific, and put it in the first version of The Gourmet's Choice for The Confidential Guide.

Nobody else seemed to take much notice, at the time.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 12:44:54 AM »

Funny how times change.

Forty years ago when I was doing my tour of the U.K., The Addington was never mentioned anywhere, but I'd heard of it and wanted to visit.   But I couldn't, because the management then was pretty weird and they told me I couldn't come as a single, and I didn't have anyone to bring with me!

Two years later, GOLF WORLD had named it in their first U.K. Top 100 list, and the editors [who I knew] invited me to come and play there and at Isle of Purbeck, which were the only two courses in the top 100 that I hadn't seen on my tour!  The Addington was very run down maintenance-wise, but I thought it was terrific, and put it in the first version of The Gourmet's Choice for The Confidential Guide.

Nobody else seemed to take much notice, at the time.

Why would people take much notice? After a handful of visits the presentation of Addy drove me away. It wasn't a fun course to play.

I have waited for the shoe to drop. Greatest restoration? I can't think of many GB&I courses where the true goal of the work was a restoration. Full on restorations are not the done thing here.

Ciao

David_Tepper

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2023, 01:54:46 PM »
Very much OT, but certainly a small world moment.

Sunday morning I saw a guy in line for the ball machine at the range of the Presidio GC in San Francisco wearing a top saying "The Addington." Naturally I had to ask him if it was The Addington in London. Turns out he is an American living in London for 8 years and is a member there. What are the odds?

I forgot to ask him what he was doing in San Francisco. Some times the world of golf can be very small indeed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back