News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

2023 International New Course Openings
« on: January 13, 2023, 04:26:54 PM »
From LINKS mag:

https://www.linksmagazine.com/10-new-international-course-openings-for-2023?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=insider1.13.23

Courses from Quebec to Mauritius to Portugal to NZ to Vietnam, but I am most curious about London Airlinks. I don't recall any mention or discussion about it here. 

Paul Rudovsky

Re: 2023 International New Course Openings
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 11:13:39 PM »
was not on our FESCUE listing either. ( www.fescue.github.io )
...we had the others

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 07:49:03 AM »
from the piece ... "In addition to its terrific dragon logo, this private club outside Quebec City will open a second full 18-hole layout (the South course) in 2023 with an eye on the venue hosting the PGA Tour’s Canadian Open in the future. The Huxham Golf-designed course incorporates a large pond to create stadium-style seating around six holes, allowing for tens of thousands of spectators during tournament play, and the par-three 12th is an island green inspired by the 17th at TPC Sawgrass."
I'm inside enough to know the Canadian Open will not be going to Quebec City. It's not even going to Montreal or Vancouver in the near term, which all make far more sense than Quebec City. Unless something major changes in how the event is operated and decisions are made it's going to remain close to Toronto for quite some time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 07:58:59 AM by Ian Andrew »
-

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 08:20:17 AM »
Just FYI the photo of Te Arai is of Bill Coore's South course -- holes 4-5-6 at the very south end of the property, as far away from my course as they get!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 10:11:34 AM »
From LINKS mag:

https://www.linksmagazine.com/10-new-international-course-openings-for-2023?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=insider1.13.23

Courses from Quebec to Mauritius to Portugal to NZ to Vietnam, but I am most curious about London Airlinks. I don't recall any mention or discussion about it here.

Airlinks is a redo of a 6000yard flat muni course. Not sure how much has been done?

Comporta is only vaguely (close to) Lisbon Its an hour south then a ferry ride from Setubal - but it will be close to Troia (RTJ/Robinson) which is the best course I've played on mainland Europe.  It's Kidd's "first European design" only if you believe Brexit excludes England (Beaverbrook) and The Castle Course (Scotland). Between the two courses he had quite a change of mind about what golfers want.  He's been working on the Portuguese one, on and off,  over that period so it will be very interesting to see the result. I have it on my list.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 10:19:35 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 10:18:24 AM »
From LINKS mag:

Airlinks is a redo of a 6000yard flat muni course. Not sure how much has been done?

Comporta is only vaguely (close to) Lisbon Its a ferry ride from Setubal but it will be close to Troia (RTJ/Robinson) which is the best course I've played on mainland Europe.  It's Kidd's "first European design" only if you believe Brexit excludes England (Beaverbrook) and The Castle Course (Scotland). Between the two courses he had quite a change of mind about what golfers want.  He's been working on the Portuguese one, on and off,  over that period. I have it on my list.

And Mach Dunes…. And G-West

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 10:20:45 AM »
From LINKS mag:

Comporta is only vaguely (close to) Lisbon Its a ferry ride from Setubal but it will be close to Troia (RTJ/Robinson) which is the best course I've played on mainland Europe.  It's Kidd's "first European design" only if you believe Brexit excludes England (Beaverbrook) and The Castle Course (Scotland). Between the two courses he had quite a change of mind about what golfers want.  He's been working on the Portuguese one, on and off,  over that period. I have it on my list.

OOOPS I forgot those two!!

;) HNY.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Reader

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 12:29:55 PM »
From LINKS mag:

…. And Queenwood.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 12:49:05 PM »
From LINKS mag:

Comporta is only vaguely (close to) Lisbon Its an hour south then a ferry ride from Setubal - but it will be close to Troia (RTJ/Robinson) which is the best course I've played on mainland Europe.  It's Kidd's "first European design" only if you believe Brexit excludes England (Beaverbrook) and The Castle Course (Scotland). Between the two courses he had quite a change of mind about what golfers want.  He's been working on the Portuguese one, on and off,  over that period so it will be very interesting to see the result. I have it on my list.

I saw Comporta when it was originally being built, about ten years ago (the developer was the Espirito Santo banking family, which went rather spectacularly bankrupt in 2014, which is why it has taken so long for the golf course to be finished -- it laid fallow for seven years until it was sold to the current owners. David couldn't get to Portugal to finish the build because of Covid, so Conor Walsh, who was lead shaper originally and now runs his own contracting operation, handled the work.

It's a fantastic piece of property. I'm supposed to see the finished course next month; I strongly suspect it will immediately be the best course in Portugal.

The second Comporta course, which is a Sergio Garcia signature, with the design work done by the guys from Jose Maria Olazabal's practice, has just started construction; Conor is building that too. And the first European Discovery Land project, Costa Terra, designed by Fazio, is nearby. That's finished, but not yet open as I understand it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:52:27 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 02:14:21 PM »
I have wanted to visit St. Lucia for a long time. Now I have two reasons to take my wife there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 11:29:46 AM »
From LINKS mag:

…. And Queenwood.

Yes, but apart from Beaverbrook, The Castle, Mach Dunes, G-West and Queenwood,
What have the Romans ever done for us?
 :)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back