News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jeff Schley

Re: Streamsong sold
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 12:31:55 PM »
Was curious about the land coming with it, which can provide the longer term enhancements. Huge amount of acreage still available, no idea if all can be utilized or not, but certainly big potential there.

“What seems obvious to me,” said another source, “is that Mosaic will still need to be involved. What Kemper is buying is 7,000 of the 16,000 acres that Mosaic originally designated as the golf development. Only 2,500 acres of that has been used so far. But all of it is surrounded by Mosaic land.”
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Anthony Butler

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 04:38:50 AM »
Was curious about the land coming with it, which can provide the longer term enhancements. Huge amount of acreage still available, no idea if all can be utilized or not, but certainly big potential there.

“What seems obvious to me,” said another source, “is that Mosaic will still need to be involved. What Kemper is buying is 7,000 of the 16,000 acres that Mosaic originally designated as the golf development. Only 2,500 acres of that has been used so far. But all of it is surrounded by Mosaic land.”
I was at Streamsong on Thursday when the sale was announced. Everyone I spoke to - caddies, staff at the Lodge & Pro Shop - seemed happy about the sale. Since they’ve essentially been working for the new owners for years, that’s not too surprising.

As far as the rest of the land goes, I’m not sure they could expand the golf offerings any more without also increasing the amount of lodging on-site. They are to close to capacity with the current three courses open.

When you stand on the first tee at the Blue Course (the highest spot on the property) there doesn’t appear to be anything in the way of man-man topography that matches the ups and downs found on the Blue Course, so I’d be curious to know how much of the 16,000 acres purchased has been mined.
Next!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 05:24:02 AM »

I was at Streamsong on Thursday when the sale was announced. Everyone I spoke to - caddies, staff at the Lodge & Pro Shop - seemed happy about the sale. Since they’ve essentially been working for the new owners for years, that’s not too surprising.

As far as the rest of the land goes, I’m not sure they could expand the golf offerings any more without also increasing the amount of lodging on-site. They are to close to capacity with the current three courses open.

When you stand on the first tee at the Blue Course (the highest spot on the property) there doesn’t appear to be anything in the way of man-man topography that matches the ups and downs found on the Blue Course, so I’d be curious to know how much of the 16,000 acres purchased has been mined.

As I understand it there is a lot of additional land, but very little of it is anything like that which was used for the courses that have been built up to press.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 05:54:28 AM »

The "seems obvious" to "another source" is likely wrong. Mosaic may have 16k acres designated as the golf development, but that doesn't mean they will stay "involved." Only if there is an embedded option (right of first refusal or offer)  for the additional land does it merit any conjecture.

Designation and eventual use are not always the same. There is plenty of land, but they will need additional housing first. Streamsong has some amount of day traffic, but not as much as on-property play. It'll be interesting to see what the new ownership will look to add to the venue.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 07:50:43 AM »
Daylight is there biggest issue, days are short in Florida when going to Streamsong is most attractive.  Hard for large number of groups to get in 36 holes with the average resort pace of play.

Add a lighted short course is my recommendation.  Hard to imagine light pollution impacting many if any residents.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back