News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Amol Yajnik

Re: Winged Foot (West) gets 2028 US Open
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 10:16:12 PM »
And unless something drastically changes, Riviera for 2031 will be the next announcement.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 07:54:12 AM »
Let's make some more predictions:

2029 Pinehurst
2031 TBD
2032 Pebble Beach, confirmed, just 5 years after 2027
2033 Oakmont, confirmed
2034 Oakland Hills
2035 Pinehurst, six years after 2029 Open.
2036 TBD
2037 Pebble Bech
2038 TBD

2039 LA North
2040 TBD

I thought they might go back to Chambers Bay for the 20th anniversary of Jordan Speith's win but not going to have two west coast opens in a row. So 2036 will probably be a return to Shinnecock. 2031 could be Torrey Pines but unlikely. 2031 could be The Country Club. 

Some out of the box locations for 2031, Whistling Straits, Oak Hill, Hazeltine, Inverness Club.

What do you think the USGA will do?

John Blain

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 08:41:13 AM »

2029 Pinehurst
2031 TBD
2033 Oakmont, confirmed
2034 Oakland Hills
2036 TBD
2037 Pebble Bech
2038 TBD

2039 LA North
2040 TBD

I thought they might go back to Chambers Bay for the 20th anniversary of Jordan Speith's win but not going to have two west coast opens in a row. So 2036 will probably be a return to Shinnecock. 2031 could be Torrey Pines but unlikely. 2031 could be The Country Club. 

Some out of the box locations for 2031, Whistling Straits, Oak Hill, Hazeltine, Inverness Club.

I would bet on TCC for 2031. Last year's US Open was wildly successful and I'm guessing the USGA doesn't want to wait another 34 years to go back to Boston.
Oak Hill and Inverness?  Both would be great, but I think the Rochester and Toledo markets are just too small. Hazeltine and Whistling Straits seem like they have aligned themselves with the PGA of America.
I know Southern Hills would love another Open but do you really want to be in Tulsa in mid to late June?

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 09:29:33 AM »

2029 Pinehurst
2031 TBD
2033 Oakmont, confirmed
2034 Oakland Hills
2036 TBD
2037 Pebble Bech
2038 TBD

2039 LA North
2040 TBD

I would bet on TCC for 2031. Last year's US Open was wildly successful and I'm guessing the USGA doesn't want to wait another 34 years to go back to Boston.
Oak Hill and Inverness?  Both would be great, but I think the Rochester and Toledo markets are just too small. Hazeltine and Whistling Straits seem like they have aligned themselves with the PGA of America.
I know Southern Hills would love another Open but do you really want to be in Tulsa in mid to late June?

Once again: Riviera is 2031.  Geoff Shackelford has basically confirmed as much on Twitter, saying that "players have already been notified."

If TCC happens again, it would probably be 2038, the 125th anniversary of the Ouimet win at TCC.  USGA loves their anniversaries.

I would love to see Chambers Bay get another crack in 2036 but I doubt that the USGA does 2 straight West Coast Opens.

John Blain

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 09:55:39 AM »

2029 Pinehurst
2031 TBD
2033 Oakmont, confirmed
2034 Oakland Hills
2036 TBD
2037 Pebble Bech
2038 TBD

2039 LA North
2040 TBD

Once again: Riviera is 2031.  Geoff Shackelford has basically confirmed as much on Twitter, saying that "players have already been notified."

If TCC happens again, it would probably be 2038, the 125th anniversary of the Ouimet win at TCC.  USGA loves their anniversaries.

I would love to see Chambers Bay get another crack in 2036 but I doubt that the USGA does 2 straight West Coast Opens.
That makes perfect sense especially given Ouimet's 125th anniversary. So, they would be going back to Boston 16 years later. Certainly timelier than 34 years!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 12:19:38 PM »

2029 Pinehurst
2031 TBD
2033 Oakmont, confirmed
2034 Oakland Hills
2036 TBD
2037 Pebble Bech
2038 TBD

2039 LA North
2040 TBD

Amol,

I'm confused, you claim they're going to Riv in 2031, which would make it back to back West Coast opens given its Pebble the following year in 2032

But then you say Chambers won't get it because you doubt the USGA would do 2 straight West Coast opens?  ;D

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 02:00:04 PM »

2029 Pinehurst
2031 TBD
2033 Oakmont, confirmed
2034 Oakland Hills
2036 TBD
2037 Pebble Bech
2038 TBD

2039 LA North
2040 TBD

Amol,

I'm confused, you claim they're going to Riv in 2031, which would make it back to back West Coast opens given its Pebble the following year in 2032

But then you say Chambers won't get it because you doubt the USGA would do 2 straight West Coast opens?  ;D
Yeah I don't think so either.
Also are we going to only going to have 2 future opens (both at Oakland Hills) in the Midwest for the next 30 years?  With the PGA moving to May, the US Open is the midwest's really only major. 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 02:23:37 PM »

2029 Pinehurst
2031 TBD
2033 Oakmont, confirmed
2034 Oakland Hills
2036 TBD
2037 Pebble Bech
2038 TBD

2039 LA North
2040 TBD

Scott,
2029 is already announced as Pinehurst #2.  It was at the end of the linked article.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 10:50:47 PM »
USGA and PGA should trade - Southern Hills for Kohler - weather works better for all parties.  Kohler can live with the smaller profit a venue gets from the USGA.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 12:26:38 PM »

2029 Pinehurst
2031 TBD
2033 Oakmont, confirmed
2034 Oakland Hills
2036 TBD
2037 Pebble Bech
2038 TBD

2039 LA North
2040 TBD

Amol,

Yeah I don't think so either.
Also are we going to only going to have 2 future opens (both at Oakland Hills) in the Midwest for the next 30 years?  With the PGA moving to May, the US Open is the midwest's really only major.

Jeff,

That wouldn't surprise me.  2003 was at Olympia Fields.  Then 2017 was at Erin Hills.  Then the next one is 2034 at Oakland.  So one midwest US Open is on the calendar for 30 years.  Chicago is a glaring omission for sure.  Inverness has the course if the USGA is willing.  Mike Whan has lived in Ohio and Pro Medica has invested in the USGA.  It's now or never for them.  Time will tell.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 12:53:42 PM »
In all these things, I feel a joylessness being drained from all aspects of the competition, here in particular, the last remaining mysteries of not knowing beyond a few years.  Even if the complete industrial give-over to 20 year plans is corporate best practice, it seems they've elevated it beyond its actual worth or importance... and somewhere, some social media consulting coordinator is citing boards such as this to justify the exact opposite conclusion.   

In similar ways, all the professional sports have adopted expedience and proffer conceit...as much as the delivery narratives will cause clicks, hits, and views, it hardly matters who wins or performs or suffers defeat or how compromised they have to make it to fit it in to a delivery package...as long as the games go on and advertisers/sponsors think they get their money's worth. They had us talking out LACC five years ago, never mind that its actually here, now, this year...why don't they try and get you speculating on where it might be in seven, twelve, twenty years.  It's like they know the competition isn't enough, it's the peripheral bullshit that we're really interested in, or its being represented to the decision makers that way.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 07:08:42 PM »
VKmetz:

I agree with you, but there are several million rea$on$ these sites are being set up so far in advance.

I have been around some of the powers that be at Shinnecock Hills a little bit, and this is the cycle of how it goes:

1)  We're going to drive a hard bargain if they want to bring the U.S. Open back here again.
2) Wouldn't it be nice to see how today's players can handle our course?
3) We're having the Open again!
4) The goddamn USGA ripped us off.  They made way more money off this than we could have imagined ten years ago.  We're going to drive a hard bargain if they want to come back here again.

Imagine how much better the USGA will do if they negotiate a contract 15-20 years in advance!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 07:47:43 PM »
VKmetz:

I agree with you, but there are several million rea$on$ these sites are being set up so far in advance.

I have been around some of the powers that be at Shinnecock Hills a little bit, and this is the cycle of how it goes:

1)  We're going to drive a hard bargain if they want to bring the U.S. Open back here again.
2) Wouldn't it be nice to see how today's players can handle our course?
3) We're having the Open again!
4) The goddamn USGA ripped us off.  They made way more money off this than we could have imagined ten years ago.  We're going to drive a hard bargain if they want to come back here again.

Imagine how much better the USGA will do if they negotiate a contract 15-20 years in advance!

Let’s talk about how they hire a superintendent within the 20 year timeframe next!
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 08:08:51 PM »
Who cares?   I mean, when all is said and done the US Open courses are pretty much cookie cutter....Narrow fairways, thick rough, fast greens, 500 yard par fours, a drivable par four, and a huge money making merch city.  The character of the course is all but lost in an effort to "find the best player".

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 08:31:29 PM »
And unless something drastically changes, Riviera for 2031 will be the next announcement.

My friend Neil Regan deserves a shout out for this US Open at Winged Foot.

It has been confirmed that Neil Regan died of a "cardiac event" two weeks after receiving a Covid Booster.

I specifically targeted your post, because you were just a little bit smarter than EVERY one else during Covid, and here we are.

I NEVER FORGET.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 07:18:14 AM »

It has been confirmed that Neil Regan died of a "cardiac event" two weeks after receiving a Covid Booster.

I specifically targeted your post, because you were just a little bit smarter than EVERY one else during Covid, and here we are.

I NEVER FORGET.

Mike,

Our friend Neil ALWAYS deserves a shout out for anything positive at Winged Foot. That's a given.

Your insinuation that Neil's cardiac event was tied to a Covid vaccine is shameful and specious. Both you and I know that Neil wasn't always in great health, even before Covid came along.  Both you and I are neither medical doctors, nor forensic scientists. Your definition of smart for avoiding the vaccine is just one man's opinion.

I'm certain that Neil sought out the advice of some in the medical community before he took the vaccine. He wasn't an impetus person.

Using GCA.com to speculatively suggest that the way-too-early loss of one of our community's best people was tied to taking a vaccine crosses the line, IMO, of decency and respect.

Have whatever extreme political or philosophical opinions you want. Thank goodness we live in a country that protects that. Find a part of the social media spectrum that endorses such expression and encourages that dialogue. Freewheel your engagement there. GCA.com is not, and never will be, the forum for such.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:55:30 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 07:59:37 AM »

I NEVER FORGET.

Mike,

Our friend Neil ALWAYS deserves a shout out for anything positive at Winged Foot. That's a given.

Your insinuation that Neil's cardiac event was tied to a Covid vaccine is shameful and specious. Both you and I know that Neil wasn't always in great health, even before Covid came along.  Both you and I are neither medical doctors, nor forensic scientists. Your definition of smart for avoiding the vaccine is just one man's opinion.

I'm certain that Neil sought out the advice of some in the medical community before he took the vaccine. He wasn't an impetus person.

Using GCA.com to speculatively suggest that the way-too-early loss of one of our community's best people was tied to taking a vaccine crosses the line, IMO, of decency and respect.

Have whatever extreme political or philosophical opinions you want. Thank good ness we live in a country that protects that. Find a part of the social media spectrum that endorses such expression and encourages that dialogue. GCA.com is not, and never will be, the forum for such.

Steve, well said.
Mike's post was difficult to read.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 09:46:35 AM »
Thanks Steve L!!

David_Madison

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 07:20:16 AM »
Who cares?   I mean, when all is said and done the US Open courses are pretty much cookie cutter....Narrow fairways, thick rough, fast greens, 500 yard par fours, a drivable par four, and a huge money making merch city.  The character of the course is all but lost in an effort to "find the best player".

Craig - Maybe your description applies to WFW, but surely not to every Open venue. Pinehurst #2, the very first Open anchor site and future home for a big chunk of the USGA, does not fit your description. Mostly wide fairways (some with pinch points), no rough, minimal irrigation, and set up as dry and firm as possible to max out strategic values and the character of the course.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 01:36:18 PM by David_Madison »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2023, 02:15:19 PM »
David, the exception with plenty of changes to make it "different" than other US Open courses. Perhaps the only course in the rota that can eliminate rough and widen fairways and still meet the USGA criteria to separate the men from the boys.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

John Kirk

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2023, 02:58:57 PM »
Add Chambers Bay to the list of wide long courses with less need for punishing rough.  It seems to me that Oakmont could also be made to be plenty difficult without the traditional 3.5 inch rough.

Craig, I see this as a trend rather than an exception, a worthy attempt by the USGA to increase the diversity of challenges the USGA presents in their annual open tournament.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back