News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

The Eden Front Nine
« on: December 23, 2022, 06:26:20 PM »
I was curious on why we never seem to talk about the front nine on the Eden course at St. Andrew's.

I've made 10 trips to the UK - gone to play lots of well known - and lesser known courses. Playing the front nine was one of my favourite experiences. I'll admit I was forewarned - so I choose not to make the turn - and went to the Jigger Inn to meet FBD for beers instead. Played another 18 before this.

I was thinking about the nine today and I still think it has some of my favourite greens at St. Andrew's. The threes are wonderful holes and fun to play. The entire nine is a just wonderful experience overall.

I would play it over the New and the Castle any day ... am I alone on this?
-

Ally Mcintosh

Re: The Eden Front Nine
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 07:27:00 PM »
I spent 2 weeks in St. Andrews in 2009 and played The Eden eight times, always last thing in the evening before sun-down (way after the last official tee-times). Magnificent course and such a shame those 4 starting and finishing holes were lost.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 08:03:32 PM »
I was curious on why we never seem to talk about the front nine on the Eden course at St. Andrew's.

I've made 10 trips to the UK - gone to play lots of well known - and lesser known courses. Playing the front nine was one of my favourite experiences. I'll admit I was forewarned - so I choose not to make the turn - and went to the Jigger Inn to meet FBD for beers instead. Played another 18 before this.

I was thinking about the nine today and I still think it has some of my favourite greens at St. Andrew's. The threes are wonderful holes and fun to play. The entire nine is a just wonderful experience overall.

I would play it over the New and the Castle any day ... am I alone on this?

Hmmm, I certainly wouldn't take the Eden over the New, but the Eden hits a lot of high marks. The recent green fee hike dropped it from my Nifty 50, but I still like it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 09:12:17 PM »
I spent 2 weeks in St. Andrews in 2009 and played The Eden eight times, always last thing in the evening before sun-down (way after the last official tee-times). Magnificent course and such a shame those 4 starting and finishing holes were lost.

Same thing for me . . . it was my happy place when I lived in St. Andrews in the summer of '82.  The old 1st hole wasn't special and the second was a good par-4, but playing to the now 1st green as a 200-yard par-3 was a real wake up call.

[It was five holes that were lost:  the original 1-2 and also 16-17-18.  With 3 and 16 added to the two crossing par-3's, it had one of the best sets of par-3 holes I've seen to this day.]

I've only played it once since then, as part of our 100-hole-hike a few years ago.  Even with my sadness for the lost holes, I'd still rather play it than any of the other courses in town, apart from The Old Course of course.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 09:56:28 PM »
I’ve been a fan of The Eden since my first trip in 2003. When I was there in 2007 it was my preference ahead of the New as 2nd choice.

I think you missed a trick not making the turn. I used to play it as a great 16 hole course by missing 14 & 15 and closing my eyes to avoid seeing the faux mounding on 16.

Before you get there holes 11, 12 & 13 have some interest and 17 (similar to 16 TOC) and 18 are good holes. It doesn’t raise to the heights of the front nine but enjoayable nonetheless.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 03:16:02 AM »
The Eden was the most surprising and impressive course I played in my student years. Was fortunate to play it a number of times. Couldn't the Links Trust update the weaker holes and use some of the Strathyrum land to create a stronger course we have better ability to create linksy holes than we did in the 1990s

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 03:32:12 AM »
The Eden was the most surprising and impressive course I played in my student years. Was fortunate to play it a number of times. Couldn't the Links Trust update the weaker holes and use some of the Strathyrum land to create a stronger course we have better ability to create linksy holes than we did in the 1990s

I know Martin Hawtree fiddled about with the 5th green a few years ago. I haven’t seen it since…. But didn’t we hear that Martin Ebert was engaged to change a few of those weaker holes? What happened to that?

It would be a really quite easy win to dramatically improve the 80’s additions to The Eden.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 04:57:21 AM »

I know Martin Hawtree fiddled about with the 5th green a few years ago. I haven’t seen it since…. But didn’t we hear that Martin Ebert was engaged to change a few of those weaker holes? What happened to that?

It would be a really quite easy win to dramatically improve the 80’s additions to The Eden.

I agree. Still amazed the far end holes have not been sorted.

Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 05:25:22 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Reader

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 08:50:21 AM »

Same thing for me . . . it was my happy place when I lived in St. Andrews in the summer of '82.  The old 1st hole wasn't special and the second was a good par-4, but playing to the now 1st green as a 200-yard par-3 was a real wake up call.

[It was five holes that were lost:  the original 1-2 and also 16-17-18.  With 3 and 16 added to the two crossing par-3's, it had one of the best sets of par-3 holes I've seen to this day.]

I've only played it once since then, as part of our 100-hole-hike a few years ago.  Even with my sadness for the lost holes, I'd still rather play it than any of the other courses in town, apart from The Old Course of course.

I’m a big fan of (most of!) the Eden.

As well as the opening and closing holes that were lost, my understanding is that there were at least a couple of others:

- The original 8th - a par 4 played from a tee near the current 5th green, across what is now a small practice area, to a green short of  the current 17th green;

- The original 12th - a par 4 from a tee near the current 13th green along the estuary to a green near the current back 7th tee.

I also find it hard to believe that the current 13th green is an original, given how dull it is compared to the rest.  It does seem to be in the same place as the original 11th though.  That area of the links did flood at least once in the relatively recent past though so perhaps it had to be rebuilt then?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 10:18:03 AM by James Reader »

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 09:00:48 AM »
James

The professionals on here will no doubt keep me right but I wouldn't have thought that a very occasional flooding would necessitate the building of a new green unless it became so frequent because the green was in a low point and needed raised or moved.

In terms of changes to the newer holes I'm fairly sure that some cosmetic surgery was done that included removal or softening of the mounding. That would have been about 5 to 10 years ago ? I can't swear by it but I think the green on the par 5 on the way back was also altered. Either way I think it very good.

Niall

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 08:36:39 AM »
Sorry, wish I went looking for an older thread when I posted this.

Lots of good information about the course and a photo tour.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49924.0

Family is still asleep ...  :)  Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 02:59:58 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2022, 02:25:16 PM »
Sorry, wish I went looking for an older thread when I posted this.

Lots of good information about the course and a photo tour.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49924.0

Family is still asleep ... :)  Merry Christmas
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2022, 02:41:33 PM »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2022, 03:05:28 PM »
Some of what once was there ...
atb

Ian Andrew

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2022, 11:05:04 AM »
2nd green - photo by Graylyn Loomis

« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 11:23:43 AM by Ian Andrew »
-

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2022, 11:38:27 AM »
Some of what once was there ...
atb

Thanks for the photo Dai. Makes clear what was taken from the course.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2022, 12:45:42 PM »
Working on the assumption that a large driving range and practice area was needed, does anyone know what alternatives were considered back in the 80’s that could have stopped The Eden being robbed? Did they look at playing northwards (where The Balgove now resides)? Or was that land not owned by The Links Trust at that point?

Additionally, what was the land like that housed the original 1,2,17 & 18 of The Eden? Was it very rumpled or fairly non-descript? For instance, we know the 2nd green was cool (if definitely built rather than found) as it is still there being used as a practice green. What was the rest like?

Ben Stephens

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2022, 04:40:15 AM »
Working on the assumption that a large driving range and practice area was needed, does anyone know what alternatives were considered back in the 80’s that could have stopped The Eden being robbed? Did they look at playing northwards (where The Balgove now resides)? Or was that land not owned by The Links Trust at that point?

Additionally, what was the land like that housed the original 1,2,17 & 18 of The Eden? Was it very rumpled or fairly non-descript? For instance, we know the 2nd green was cool (if definitely built rather than found) as it is still there being used as a practice green. What was the rest like?

Ally

The Driving range is really poorly thought out design wise and I have been there a few times from faint memory the landscape was pretty much flattish.

Alternatively could there be a slight recreation of the 1,2,17,18 on the section where the 'newer' holes are at the far end with better views with more interesting shaping - these days designers are getting better and computer 3D modelling could help this.

The Strathtyrum and Balgove courses seem to be pretty cramped in. I would prefer a better Eden course with a bit more space for revised holes.

Cheers
Ben

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 04:47:14 AM by Ben Stephens »

Brian Finn

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 09:39:59 AM »
Having never seen what was there prior, the group with which I played the Eden in 2017 universally loved the course.  Yes, we noticed how out of character 3 or 4 holes were, but for me, at least, those few did not take away from the experience, particularly seeing such varied and fun green complexes throughout.  Time and funds permitting, I may be back in St. Andrews for a few days in 2023, and multiple plays on the Eden would be included in my itinerary, along with New and Jubilee, and of course, hopefully balloting onto the Old. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Bill Crane

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2023, 03:14:09 PM »
Ian:
H N Year.
The Eden was the first course my wife and I played right off the plane our first trip to Scotland.
Turned out to be a great start to Scottish golf and I always peek over there when playing the New.  Need to go back !
Many super greens as you point out.

Bill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back