News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Favorite PGA Tour event to watch
« on: January 08, 2023, 07:57:07 PM »
Tournament of Champions is my favorite PGA Tour event to watch.  I love the course (Kapalua-Plantation), the views, the smaller field and ending is always exciting to watch.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Kevin Stark

Re: Favorite PGA Tour event to watch
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 10:25:02 PM »
My favorites in no particular order, aside from majors:

Kapalua - stunning views and interesting solutions to an extreme site
Palm Springs - the visual contrast of desert golf and how much Mr. Dye got out of that site
Riviera - not sure they play a better golf course than this one
The Memorial - ok maybe this one is even better
Renaissance Club - links golf for a month on TV now
Harbour Town - so different than what they usually play

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 02:05:42 PM »
The Masters. I love everything about it.
Any course on which they play the Open.
Wyndham, because I was a member at Sedgefield. I love watching them. I just wish they would have tougher pins.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Jones

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 02:11:54 PM »
The Masters. I love everything about it.
Any course on which they play the Open.
Wyndham, because I was a member at Sedgefield. I love watching them. I just wish they would have tougher pins.

Tommy,

The Masters is my favorite also, usually followed by The Open…

That is why I specified PGA Tour in title.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 02:17:17 PM »
The Players Championship is the only non-major I pencil onto my viewing calendar. Offense, defense and strategery.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:59:59 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Paul Jones

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 02:26:13 PM »
The Players Championship is the only non-major I pencil onto my calendar. Offense, defense and strategery.

That is a good one, especially with the 3 finishing holes usually producing drama.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 10:50:51 AM »
I’ll take a different tact and say the PGA tournament that I miss the most is The Westchester Classic contested on the Walter Travis designed  Westchester CC West course. It’s also one of me favorite courses to play.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 11:03:21 AM »
T of C @ Kapalua.

Why: because this means the new golf season has begun and I love to enjoy the views of the course, its surroundings and beautiful weather as we're hunkered down in the northeast in the midst of winter.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 12:09:47 PM »
Perhaps its because there is no golf here with no snow on the ground, or perhaps its because I'm a Western US guy...but I really really love watching the West coast swing to start the year, with the exception of the Hawaii events (not sure why, just can't get into them)

And yes that includes my biggest guilty pleasure on Tour, the Phoenix Open.  Despite the hijinks last year, love the size and energy of the crowd, and that finish is just terrific, (when the patrons can resist chucking stuff on the course)

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 01:31:40 PM »
For me, it is Riviera, and it is not really close.  Among current tour events, this is the only one that I get really excited about.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 01:54:25 PM »
It's the courses really not the events.

Like Kapalua, Sawgrass, Riv.
In terms of events I have a soft spot for the old Western Open on 4th of July weekend every year in Chicago at Cog Hill, until the tour majorly screwed that up with the Fedex Cup circus.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 11:36:48 AM »
These days, none. Kind of a shame but that’s how it is.
Atb

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 12:41:49 PM »
For me, it is Riviera, and it is not really close.  Among current tour events, this is the only one that I get really excited about.

Ditto.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Max Prokopy

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 01:24:44 PM »
The Masters, despite the lamentable changes, remains my favorite. 

The Open is second, and some combo of the US Open/Pebble/Riviera is next.

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 05:21:40 PM »
While I agree with Riviera for the architecture I love Phoenix and Travelers for the finishes with those short par fours.
AKA Mayday

Dave Doxey

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 09:14:45 AM »
I stopped watching PGA events a while ago, due to the amount of time spent in commercials, announcer discussions and sponsor interviews.  They also showed so few actual golf shots and largely putting.  A lot of time wasted on players pacing around lining up putts or standing in the fairway planning shots.   

I do watch every major and perhaps 1 or two events, such as Phoenix. using a DRV to skip and make it watchable.   

I frequently watch LIV, as they show 4 or 5 times the number of actual golf shots, both good and bad.  Being able to watch all past events on demand is also nice with LIV.

I like to watch golf shots.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 11:58:49 AM »

Gut says, "Sawgrass...Riviera...Hartford..."

Still, it's hard to isolate a favorite for watching, but its likely to come from this West Coast swing...whether it was the 70s/80s as a northern youth stuck in winter clearing off snow to hit balls during commercials, or the Tiger era of great competition and compelling tournaments, or now with 18 hole 4-day coverage of an unbelievably skilled and accomplished field...this West Coast beginning has always had something good, from Hawaii to California.

And just like with American football, there was/is/can be something so sanguine about seeing the final holes of these West Coast tournaments in their bright western afternoon, while I watched in the 5:30 mid-winter dark.

Now it's more about the courses and what they compel from the elite, in an overgrown competition, but in a once-younger time, there was an "elan" to the Tour's traditional western beginning that was replete with the notions of wealth and age in the Palm Desert... there was a genuine exotic texture to watching live action from Hawaii... there was an inchoate cache to the "star" associations of Hope, Crosby, Glen Campbell, Andy Williams.  Those nostalgic sentiments seem to have no place in the contemporary conversation, but they register just the same with me when I consider the op question

Forced to pick, I think I have to give it to the Farmers at Torrey; that field is usually on par with Kapalua and Riviera and that competition usually produces a fine week and a fine finish on Sunday.  I know the course and the hole have doubting critics, but for my money, its a fun routing to watch and has one of the top 3 exciting finishing holes ever... from bowling alley tee shot, regarding obstacle of artificial pond, to segmented Escher print mammoth green; if that's contrivance, then contrivance can prosper as a matter of watching elite golf on television.[size=78%] [/size]
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2023, 05:17:10 PM »
Wasn't exactly sure where to put this...

But I've really enjoyed watching The Valero this week.  Been interesting to see the young guns go up against the old vets without the top cut PGA Alpha dogs spoiling the show. Even Padraig is playing well...all of them I presume extra motivated in chasing that last spot at Augusta.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 07:22:52 PM »
The Players Championship is the only non-major I pencil onto my viewing calendar. Offense, defense and strategery.

Same for me, the finishing holes
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matthew Rose

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 10:30:05 PM »
I’ll take a different tact and say the PGA tournament that I miss the most is The Westchester Classic contested on the Walter Travis designed  Westchester CC West course. It’s also one of me favorite courses to play.

Me too. Used to love seeing this on television every year especially when it was around the US Open.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

archie_struthers

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 11:16:33 PM »
 8)

Masters

Dave Doxey

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »

The Dell match play event in Austin has been my favorite.  Match play makes great TV.  Sad that it won’t be played in the future.

The 4 majors are obviously great to watch, but you asked about PGA Tour events, which they are not.

I find the TV coverage of all PGA Tour events unwatchable without recording and skipping commercials and non golf shot pieces.  This reduces a 3 hour broadcast to 2 hours.

LIV coverage is more watchable, as they show 4 times the number of golf shots, both good and bad. They could do without the silly pieces.  Seeing bad shots reminds me that golf is hard, even for professionals.  Watching network PGAT coverage, one is led to believe that pros never hit bad shots unless ‘a gust of wind’ comes up. When they cut to a 60 foot putt by a guy in 20th place are you surprised when it goes in?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2023, 09:58:40 AM »
I may be indicative of the downside of trying to make so many tournaments "special."  Or, maybe I have just been lucky to have been to a few US Opens, Masters, and most of all....Ryder Cups.  There is really little reason for me to go to "standard" PGA Tour events anymore, because they are less exciting.  I did go to Colonial with my daughter because she wanted to....using my free passes, of course.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2023, 10:07:38 AM »
I may be indicative of the downside of trying to make so many tournaments "special."  Or, maybe I have just been lucky to have been to a few US Opens, Masters, and most of all....Ryder Cups.  There is really little reason for me to go to "standard" PGA Tour events anymore, because they are less exciting.  I did go to Colonial with my daughter because she wanted to....using my free passes, of course.

The responses to this thread are exactly why I've felt all the warring over LIV is somewhat misplaced. 

The PGA Tour benefits from the confusion of some fans that the majors are "PGA Tour events".  Meanwhile, the actual PGA Tour is a calendar of other events that a lot of us don't really care about anymore.  So why should I care which players compete in those, and which do not?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2023, 01:43:45 PM »
Tim,

Growing up in Westchester I always liked the Westchester Classic and it was the only Tour event I attended as a young kid. Then, too, it was special because when I was in college I worked at Manero’s Restaurant in Greenwich where players would often come for dinner. The restaurant was owned by Nick Manero, who like his brother Tony, won a USGA championship.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back