News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Merritt

Waubanakee Golf Club
« on: January 08, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »
I am researching Waubanakee Golf Club (Vermont) which was organized in 1897 and incorporated in 1899.  it was a nine hole layout by James E. Betts on Shelburne Street in South Burlington. It is the predecessor of Burlington Country Club (Vermont) (Ross - 1924).  The Waubankee property was sold in 1926 and the funds used to finance, in part, the development of  Burlington Country Club.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Ken Merritt

Tim Martin

Re: Waubanakee Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 02:56:46 PM »
Ken-Welcome to the discussion group. :)  I went to college in the area in the 1970’s and played Burlington CC a handful of times while there. I do want to get back up there to see the restoration work that was recently completed. Back to your original question I don’t have any information regarding Waubanakee but will be following along intently if this thread develops. Finally without any intent to threadjack I still rue the fact that I never got a look at Tillinghast’s Marble Island Resort GC which is no longer in existence.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 04:21:09 PM »
Ken-Welcome to the discussion group. :)  I went to college in the area in the 1970’s and played Burlington CC a handful of times while there. I do want to get back up there to see the restoration work that was recently completed. Back to your original question I don’t have any information regarding Waubanakee but will be following along intently if this thread develops. Finally without any intent to threadjack I still rue the fact that I never got a look at Tillinghast’s Marble Island Resort GC which is no longer in existence.

I lived in Burlington in the early 80’s and belonged to BCC. I have returned several times to play there. I preferred the course pre renovation.
Marble Island was a blast and was one of my early golf architecture influences.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 05:18:23 PM »
I would love to know the layout. BCC is routed around a turtle’s back with all holes sloping left to right. It would have been a little more interesting if it were more up and down the slopes.
AKA Mayday

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 06:39:33 PM »
Mike- I haven’t played BCC for over forty years and it didn’t leave enough of an impression on me to remember the routing or individual holes. I had no interest in golf course architecture at that time but plan on getting up there this coming Summer to check it out.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 08:53:01 PM »
Ken:

Here's what I have on WGC, much of which you may have already seen.

1899 Official Golf Guide -

1900 Harpers Guide -

[/font]

1901 Harpers Guide -

1902 Official Golf Guide -

The club was briefly mentioned in (A) an April 2, 1899 Boston Globe article as organized in 1898 and having a 9 hole course, (B) an Aug. 1902 Golf Magazine article as organized 1897 and having a 9 hole 2,880 yard course and (C) Hodgman's 1915 New England Golf Map as a private course and as a resort course.

Finally, an Aug. 9, 1924 Burlington Free Press article on the origination of Burlington CC which discusses the Waubanakee membership.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back