News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

9 USA Course Openings
« on: January 06, 2023, 01:02:30 PM »
Given the wealth of golf options in the U.S., which has more places to play than the next 10 best-supplied countries combined, new course openings are exceedingly limited. As a result, it’s only natural there’s added excitement among golfers when it comes to the latest and greatest in new design.
A glance around the golf landscape shows that many recent openings are destination properties off the beaten path. Case in point are 2022 debuts like Landmand, which sprawls across heaving farmland in rural Nebraska, and Black Desert Resort at Entrada, which winds through black lava fields not far from Zion National Park in Utah.
The Lido at Sand Valley Golf Resort in central Wisconsin also falls in that category, with the resurrected course set to officially debut its full 18 holes in 2023 after providing a sneak peek of some of its wild template holes during the tail-end of 2022.

Here are nine other U.S. projects in the pipeline that are scheduled to open in 2023.
https://www.linksmagazine.com/9-new-u-s-course-openings-in-2023
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Tepper

Re: 9 USA Course Openings
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 01:10:53 PM »
Anyone know anything about this one?

Old Bridge Golf Club (Old Bridge, N.J.)
 The nation’s most populous state is getting a new municipal golf course less than five miles away from the site of a private club that closed in 2021. In order to have that highway-adjacent property rezoned for warehouses, a prominent local developer reached an agreement with township officials to build a long-discussed public course nearby without any taxpayer money. Golf architect Stephen Kay embraced wide fairways and memorable green complexes as well as some template holes (such as “Short” and “Eden”) inspired by Golden Age golf architecture.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 06:49:07 AM »
Forrest can you give us some insights to the long narrow green on the left in this photo at your soon to open 18 hole par 3 course at The Hills at Promontory in Utah? It looks like a punchbowl with mounds surrounding it, however the depth looks like Pat Ruddy's 12th at the European Club. Love to know more on the dimensions and more ground level photos if you have them.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 01:38:16 PM »
Anyone know anything about this one?

Old Bridge Golf Club (Old Bridge, N.J.)
 The nation’s most populous state is getting a new municipal golf course less than five miles away from the site of a private club that closed in 2021. In order to have that highway-adjacent property rezoned for warehouses, a prominent local developer reached an agreement with township officials to build a long-discussed public course nearby without any taxpayer money. Golf architect Stephen Kay embraced wide fairways and memorable green complexes as well as some template holes (such as “Short” and “Eden”) inspired by Golden Age golf architecture.

Just a little 8)

This was the NJ Green Acres site I had under contract with the town back in 2005 with a Kelly Blake Moran design. Ultimately, we abandoned this project after discovering the then township administration's desire to milk it dry and renege on their original financial promises.

The land is good, but slightly cramped, spanning two parcels split by an active local road (that serves as a conduit to the Garden State Parkway). The soils are good as well with a mix of sand, clay and loam.  Its location practically ensures an economic success.

I've yet to see the finished product so I won't opine, but can't say I'm excited that Stephen Kay got the design job. His routing and KBM's do look vastly different and it'll be interesting to see what it turned out like. Will report in once it opens.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 09:25:59 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 03:52:34 PM »
Steve L. -

Thanks for the info. I will look forward to your next report.

DT

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 01:18:06 PM »
New Jersey isn't in the top ten of states when it comes to population.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 02:13:46 PM »
New Jersey isn't in the top ten of states when it comes to population.

It is when measured by population density (or amount of people/discretionary dollars per square mile). Remember it also the only state in the union who has major close-in suburban populations to two of the largest cities in the country, each from a separate state.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 09:13:46 AM »
Worth mentioning again that a new course is opening later this year here on Long Island -- the public Spy Ring GC, designed by Tyler Rae on the grounds of the former 18-hole executive Heatherwood GC in Setauket.  It will be unique to the area in that it is a sand-based course designed to play firm and fast with an abundance of fun shaping and green contouring, something the public player doesn't get to experience all that often on LI.  The developers have set the bar pretty high, billing it as Long Island's version of Sweetens Cove.

https://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2022/05/coming-soon-heritage-spy-ring-gc-long-island-sweetens-cove.html
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 10:50:31 AM »
Worth mentioning again that a new course is opening later this year here on Long Island -- the public Spy Ring GC, designed by Tyler Rae on the grounds of the former 18-hole executive Heatherwood GC in Setauket.  It will be unique to the area in that it is a sand-based course designed to play firm and fast with an abundance of fun shaping and green contouring, something the public player doesn't get to experience all that often on LI.  The developers have set the bar pretty high, billing it as Long Island's version of Sweetens Cove.

https://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2022/05/coming-soon-heritage-spy-ring-gc-long-island-sweetens-cove.html

Phil,

I'd not been aware of this. Sounds terrific. How far from NYC?

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 11:15:11 AM »

Phil,

Steve-Not to answer for Phil but it can’t be far from St. George’s Golf & CC and Port Jefferson.

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 11:49:39 AM »
Steve,

Was there a different golf course on the Old Bridge site prior?  Thanks.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve Lapper

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 12:02:23 PM »
Steve,

Was there a different golf course on the Old Bridge site prior?  Thanks.

Mike,

No, there's never been a course on that land. The current developer (working with Stephen Kay) originally made a large horsetrade with the township, buying nearby Glenwood CC from its owner and offering to spend ($8M by his tout) on building the city course in return for taking the old Glenwood CC property and converting it to warehouse and distribution centers. FWIW, the two properties are separated by several miles.

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 01:31:48 PM »

Phil,

Steve-Not to answer for Phil but it can’t be far from St. George’s Golf & CC and Port Jefferson.
Correct.  It's about 5-10 minutes from St. George's.  That's up on the north shore of central Suffolk County, so from NYC it's probably 90 minutes to two hours depending on traffic and time of day.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 12:15:33 PM »
Jeff — Apologies for the tardy reply to your question on The Hills at Promontory, No. 16 … We call it “Dell” which was my inspiration, albeit different in many respects. The idea is an angled green with escalating tiers from front to back right. The front surface is visible, yet not much else. Jay Smith shaped for us, with great diligence. It’s part punchbowl, as you note. It plays >200 yds from the back. For an all par-3 course, I wanted this to play like “3.5”.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 12:41:24 PM »
Looks like the Old Bridge course in NJ has been up & running. Anyone played it?

https://www.obnjgolf.com/

https://www.obnjgolf.com/course-construction/

Steve Lapper

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 06:01:47 PM »
Looks like the Old Bridge course in NJ has been up & running. Anyone played it?

https://www.obnjgolf.com/

https://www.obnjgolf.com/course-construction/

I have walked the property, however have yet to play it. I'll withhold my full opinion until I play it. Can't say the routing (and yes, I am historically biased) was exactly inspiring.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back