News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Thracian Cliffs
« on: April 19, 2024, 03:05:02 PM »
My wife enjoys a golf trip as much as I do. Sometimes more.
I was thinking of going to Bulgaria and Thracian Cliffs. It seems reasonable and beautiful, and beauty goes a long way with her. Who has been there?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

Re: Thracian Cliffs
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 05:05:02 PM »
Tommy:

This is one of about 25 courses on my list to see before I finish The Confidential Guide.  I have not seen it nor has anyone whose opinion I trust.  Maybe I will go with you!  [Seriously]

Unfortunately it is not that far from a current war zone so we would have to lie to my wife about where it is.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 07:48:02 PM »
Who actually designed the course?  I know it is listed as Gary Player, but does he actually do much of the design work?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 07:56:45 PM »
Who actually designed the course?  I know it is listed as Gary Player, but does he actually do much of the design work?

Gary Player does almost none of the design work, but I don't know who did it in this case.  I'm sure Adam Lawrence will weigh in.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 06:02:41 AM »
I don't actually know who was the lead architect at Thracian Cliffs. The Player firm is _relatively_ tight lipped about that sort of thing, though not so tight lipped as the Norman firm, who only ever want to talk about Greg, Greg and Greg, and generally I only find out if I actually visit the course -- my favourite Player work, Mazagan in Morocco, I found out was attributed to Frank Henegan when I visited for the first time -- and I haven't been to Thracian Cliffs. I've not been that close to GPD since Scott Ferrell ceased to be CEO.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 07:01:55 AM »
I tried to buy this land but just got beat to it. It was by far the best site. I looked at about 40 or 50 sites in Bulgaria.

I did do a design for it (I think better than GP) it used much more of the existing features that were there, much of which got bulldozed. I remember I had 8 holes under 300 yards, 2 holes between 350-399 and 4 over 400 and 4 par 5 holes, so quite quirky...I tried to fit the course to the land but it would have been twice as spectacular in my opinion.

Its a crazy piece of land that sorta slipped away from the coast into the sea, all on different levels.

Bulgaria is miles away from the war zone. You can get to Varna very easily from Istanbul. Varna is nice to stay for a few days, Thracian Cliffs is not far from Kavarna which might be 45 -60 mins away from Varna. Staying at Golden Sands bit nearer but its a bit Butlins!

I walked TC just about when it opened, it is still spectacular though intermingled with ' a bit of bulldozered stuff'.

Possibly the land had the opportunity to be a Doak 10.

TD. You may as well look at the other two courses in that area, they all virtually touch, although I doubt they will be much interest to you kinda Doak 3/4s resorty but nice to play in your shorts!
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Frank Kim

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 01:45:49 PM »
My guess is Jeff Lawrence designed Thracian Cliffs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back