News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Hensley

A 1972 Donald Ross?
« on: January 03, 2023, 10:43:34 PM »
Just kidding, though this course does claim it is a Donald Ross and Ellis Maples design

https://www.chockoyottecountryclub.com/

Most sources I found online said this course opened in 1972, an Ellis Maples design (with Ed Seay also?)

[/size][size=78%]One place online claimed it was opened in 1956 but everywhere else said 1972[/size]

John Kavanaugh

Re: A 1972 Donald Ross?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 11:03:07 PM »
Should be on the Mt. Rushmore of CCC clubs. Exquisite pool rules and drone shots so slow I’m not sure it isn’t a clown on stilts.

Grandchildren must be accompanied by grandparents at the pool. I’m all in.

Phil Young

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 12:09:43 AM »
Although I haven't found an early reference to Donald Ross, the July 1, 1921 edition of the Roanoke Rapids Herald states: "The Chocoyotte Country Club was on last Tuesday's evening when twenty-eight of the stockholders met in the Mayor's office of the town of Roanoke Rapids...The club will be admirably located both from the viewpoint of accessibility for members from Roanoke Rapids and Weldon and suitability for the construction of a golf course. The first board of directors will be composed of Messrs. J. T. Chase, C. R. Emry..."

The September 13, 1926 edition of the Raleigh News and Observer states: "Roanoke Rapids, Sept. 12-The Chockoyote Country Club will stage it's first annual men's golf tournament for the president's cup to be awarded annually by C. R. Emry, president of the local club." This club went into receivership in 1931.

Although it would survive for a few more years, the May 30, 1935 edition of the Roanoke Rapids Herald stated: "There are other things we can get for Roanoke Rapids to better improve the city and the county.

A proposed community recreation center where everyone can enjoy themselves at whatever they like best. The taking over of the old Chockoyotte Country Club property, building a dam, making a lake to cover forty odd acres..."

Apparently the club had closed by this time, but the course was still being used. The June 4, 1936 edition of the Roanoke Rapid Herald stated: "Bob Ripley's one-armed golfer, believe it or not, will make a personal appearance at Chockoyotte Golf Course Wednesday afternoon, June 10th, and will play an exhibition match beginning at 2:30 o'clock. Jimmy Nicholls is the name of the nationally-known figure who has four times scored a hole-in-one."

The next mention I can find of the club and its golf course is in the June 27, 1965 edition of the Raleigh News and Observer that states: "[Danny] Wood has just finished putting in a practice green and two playing greens on Roanoke Rapids' Chockoyotte Country Club's new nine..."

Hopefully that helps a little...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:48:53 AM by Phil Young »

Philip Hensley

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 05:59:36 AM »
Awesome, thank you!

Although I haven't found an early reference to Donald Ross, the July 1, 1921 edition of the Roanoke Rapids Herald states: "The Chocoyotte Country Club was on last Tuesday's evening when twenty-eight of the stockholders met in the Mayor's office of the town of Roanoke Rapids...The club will be admirably located both from the viewpoint of accessibility for members from Roanoke Rapids and Weldon and suitability for the construction of a golf course. The first board of directors will be composed of Messrs. J. T. Chase, C. R. Emry..."

The September 13, 1926 edition of the Raleigh News and Observer states: "Roanoke Rapids, Sept. 12-The Chockoyote Country Club will stage it's first annual men's golf tournament for the president's cup to be awarded annually by C. R. Emry, president of the local club." This club went into receivership in 1931.

Although it would survive for a few more years, the May 30, 1935 edition of the Roanoke Rapids Herald stated: "There are other things we can get for Roanoke Rapids to better improve the city and the county.

A proposed community recreation center where everyone can enjoy themselves at whatever they like best. The taking over of the old Chockoyotte Country Club property, building a dam, making a lake to cover forty odd acres..."

Apparently the club had closed by this time, but the course was still being used. The June 4, 1936 edition of the Roanoke Rapid Herald stated: "Bob Ripley's one-armed golfer, believe it or not, will make a personal appearance at Chockoyotte Golf Course Wednesday afternoon, June 10th, and will play an exhibition match beginning at 2:30 o'clock. Jimmy Nicholls is the name of the nationally-known figure who has four times scored a hole-in-one."

The next mention I can find of the club and its golf course is in the June 27, 1965 edition of the Raleigh News and Observer that states: "[Danny] Wood has just finished putting in a practice green and two playing greens on Roanoke Rapids' Chockoyotte Country Club's new nine..."

Hopefully that helps a little...

David Cronan

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 09:05:36 AM »
Should be on the Mt. Rushmore of CCC clubs. Exquisite pool rules and drone shots so slow I’m not sure it isn’t a clown on stilts.

Grandchildren must be accompanied by grandparents at the pool. I’m all in.

I was personally impressed with their progressive stance on smoking:

9. No smoking within 10 feet of the water. Please use ashtrays.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back