News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Abramson

I'm planning a trip to the South and Southeast of England for my 70th birthday. The courses are mostly booked. On most days I'm only playing 18 and have tee times between noon and two pm so expect to have more time to see some sights and eat and drink more leisurely than on trips with 36 hole days.

The itinerary includes Royal Ashdown Forest, Hindhead, Liphook, Hayling, Pulborough, Rye, Princes, Deal and Sandwich. I'm booked at the Lodge at Princes.

I would really appreciate recommendations for accommodation, restaurants, pubs, and off-course activities in or near Hindhead, Hayling, Pulborough and Rye. I prefer smaller, moderately priced hotels and B&Bs. If I have an extra morning or evening, would it be better spent on Hayling Island or in Pulborough? On the night before playing at Rye, would it be preferable to stay in a nearby seaside town such as Bexhill-on -Sea or Eastbourne rather than in Rye?

Thanks in advance

Mark Chaplin

Stewart is that your order of play RAF thro RSG?
Cave Nil Vino

Stewart Abramson

Stewart is that your order of play RAF thro RSG?
Yes, flying into Gatwick, starting at Royal Ashdown. Doing a counterclockwise circle.

Map
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:59:50 PM by Stewart Abramson »

Enno Gerdes

It may be just a bit out of direction, but I really enjoyed playing North Foreland (incl. a great par 3 course) in Broadstairs. I stayed in the keeper's cottage at the Lighthouse, which is overlooking the course and overall just a fabulous place.

Sean_A

I would definitely stay in Rye and leave time to explore. The River Haven is ok, has parking. Tailors Flat, Hope & Anchor, Ship Inn and Standard Inn are all a bit better, but some have parking issues.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

Yeah, I agree with Sean, Rye is a charming town. I'd probably vote for the Mermaid as a base -- how often do you get to stay in a place that dates from the twelfth century (though it was rebuilt in 1420).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

Yeah, I agree with Sean, Rye is a charming town. I'd probably vote for the Mermaid as a base -- how often do you get to stay in a place that dates from the twelfth century (though it was rebuilt in 1420).

The Mermaid is not the place to get drunk. The wonky floors will get you 😎.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Chaplin

Stewart for Hayling and Pulborough I’d stay in Portsmouth Docks theres a superb naval museum and plenty of old pubs and restaurants, we use the modern Premier Inn Portsmouth Dockyard, theres a car park over the road and Hayling is an easy 30 mins drive. The hotel can be very reasonable. Still and West on the harbour (ask for window table) and Abarbistro are favourites.

Definitely stay in Rye, you are too young to fit in in Eastbourne! 

I’m guessing you are staying at the Lodge on a package with the 3 courses. The Lodge is very comfortable and the food is excellent but you are in the “sticks” so may want a dinner in town one night, I’d highly recommend Deal for pubs and restaurants. Start in the Foresters on the sea front, 30 yards from my front door and I’ll direct you after a couple of decent pints of Guinness  ;D .
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

I would definitely stay in Rye and leave time to explore. The River Haven is ok, has parking. Tailors Flat, Hope & Anchor, Ship Inn and Standard Inn are all a bit better, but some have parking issues.

Ciao
Another agreeing with Sean.  Rye's a lovely town and well worth spending some time in.  Plenty of good AirBnBs, good pubs, decent restaurants.

Stewart Abramson

Thanks to all for the advice. Will definitely stay in Rye. Looking into Hope Anchor and the Mermaid.

Mark - We will likely be in Deal on the evening(s) of 13th and/or 14th of Sept. I'd love to buy the drinks at Foresters if you're available.

Søren Rye

Hi Stewart,

Sounds like a great trip. Me and two buddies have a somewhat similar tour planned for June, playing Swinley Forrest, Hankley Common, Royal Porthcawl, Royal Cinque Ports and Royal St. George’s. We also contacted Hindhead and Liphook, but they were both booked the days we were looking at due to membership matches.

However, we still have a hole in our program Saturday morning (we play HK in the afternoon) but it is next to impossible to find a club that allows visitor’s play on a Saturday morning in the Surrey area (we stay in Egham).

Hope you have a great trip!

Adam Lawrence

Hi Stewart,

Sounds like a great trip. Me and two buddies have a somewhat similar tour planned for June, playing Swinley Forrest, Hankley Common, Royal Porthcawl, Royal Cinque Ports and Royal St. George’s. We also contacted Hindhead and Liphook, but they were both booked the days we were looking at due to membership matches.

However, we still have a hole in our program Saturday morning (we play HK in the afternoon) but it is next to impossible to find a club that allows visitor’s play on a Saturday morning in the Surrey area (we stay in Egham).

Porthcawl is a bit of an outlier in that group. Are you literally just driving all that way for a day?
Adam Lawrence

Robin_Hiseman

The Royal Oak at Langstone Harbour is a must stop location for a meal post a game at Hayling. One of the most charming pub locations in all of Britain.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/royal-oak-langstone-mill.html?sortBy=relevant

2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Søren Rye

Porthcawl is a bit of an outlier in that group. Are you literally just driving all that way for a day?

Yes, is it a bad call? (sorry, do not want to threadjack)

Adam Lawrence

It's probably three hours in the car each way. Your call whether six hours driving for a day's golf is a good idea. I wouldn't do it but YMMV.
Adam Lawrence

Stewart Abramson

The Royal Oak at Langstone Harbour is a must stop location for a meal post a game at Hayling. One of the most charming pub locations in all of Britain.

Thanks for the suggestion Robin. I've added it to the itinerary.

Stewart Abramson

There are so many excellent courses a short drive from each of the others on your list I think I'd save Porthcawl for a different trip. Are you staying in Egham the entire time or will you be staying in different places as you visit different courses? If traveling from Egham you've got Sunningdale, St Georges Hill, the Berkshire, the three W's and New  Zealand among other in close proximity. If you'll be in Kent for Deal and Sandwich, you've got Princes and Rye nearby. I always try to reduce the time in the car between my lodging and golf.

As far as Saturday mornings, I always feel lucky to just to find somewhere good to play on a weekend afternoon. Weekend mornings are usually reserved for members so I don't expect to play 36 on a Saturday or Sunday

Søren Rye

We are staying in Egham for three nights and then one night in Deal.

It is VERY difficult to find courses around London to play on the weekend unless you have a member connection. Most allow guest play Mon-Thur (Sunningdale, etc.). We also found that many of the clubs you list have club competitions on the weekend we are going (we have called around quite a lot).

Sean_A

Hi Stewart,

What is HK?

Not super convenient for Egham, have you tried Walton Heath, Addington or perhaps more realistically Reigate Heath? Camberley Heath or Sunningdale Heath may be possibilities and they aren't bad for Egham. Also, there is Epsom. You may have to go off piste on weekend mornings 😎 .

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 05:28:43 AM by Sean_A »

Adam Lawrence

Hi Stewart,

What is HK?

Not super convenient for Egham, have you tried Walton Heath, Addington or perhaps more realistically Reigate Heath? Camberley Heath or Sunningdale Heath may be possibilities and they aren't bad for Egham. Also, there is Epsom. You may have to go off piste on weekend mornings 😎 .

Ciao

I think Hankley Kommon  :D
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

Hi Stewart,

What is HK?

Not super convenient for Egham, have you tried Walton Heath, Addington or perhaps more realistically Reigate Heath? Camberley Heath or Sunningdale Heath may be possibilities and they aren't bad for Egham. Also, there is Epsom. You may have to go off piste on weekend mornings.

Ciao

I think Hankley Kommon  :D

Ah, yes.

Ciao

Tony_Muldoon

More than a decade ago I played and really enjoyed The Downshire a Pay & Play that's roughly in the right area. It's a bit flat but great VFM in a tough area.
From reviews below, condition may have deteriorated but it was fine.  Also if you look on the web you can join the "Club" that exists there for another £80 and presumably play in any comp that have on that day.   
Its only 35 mins to HK, but from Egham you will have to drive past Wentworth, Sunningdale, Swinley Forrest and The Berkshire!!!!!
https://www.golfshake.com/course/view/14552/Downshire_Golf_Club.html

Depends on how desperate you are for a game?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 10:27:45 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Søren Rye

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We have a possible opening Saturday morning at Army Golf Club ([size=78%]https://www.armygolfclub.com/[/size]) just north of Hankley Common, but I honestly do not know too much about it.

Sam Krume

Couldnt agree more...its tres bon

Jeff Schley

Stewart for Hayling and Pulborough I’d stay in Portsmouth Docks theres a superb naval museum and plenty of old pubs and restaurants, we use the modern Premier Inn Portsmouth Dockyard, theres a car park over the road and Hayling is an easy 30 mins drive. The hotel can be very reasonable. Still and West on the harbour (ask for window table) and Abarbistro are favourites.

Definitely stay in Rye, you are too young to fit in in Eastbourne! 

I’m guessing you are staying at the Lodge on a package with the 3 courses. The Lodge is very comfortable and the food is excellent but you are in the “sticks” so may want a dinner in town one night, I’d highly recommend Deal for pubs and restaurants. Start in the Foresters on the sea front, 30 yards from my front door and I’ll direct you after a couple of decent pints of Guinness  ;D .
I'd take Chappers advice on anything for this region.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back