News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Rudovsky

FESCUE--listing of projects finished in '22 and ongoing now
« on: January 01, 2023, 05:02:43 PM »
https://fescue.github.io

Time for an update on FESCUE.  As you may recall from prior posts, FESCUE was developed to create an online database listing golf course projects recently completed, currently underway, and recently announced - basically to have available to all a list of projects worldwide.  It was conceived by me and most of the effort in pulling together info on these projects was researched by Tom Brown of Los Angeles.

As of today we are trying to include all projects completed (or projected for completion) during the prior year (2022), this year and all future years (2023 and beyond).  The listing may be accessed at https://fescue.github.io and is only as complete as we can make it - we absolutely want to hear about errors in listings and missing projects.  Note that:

--“projects” means all new courses, restorations, renovations, master plans and rebuilds;

--“projects” is NOT meant to include work limited to practice areas, re-grassing, limited bunker work, 1 new hole, or relatively minor fixups;

-- given that there are only two of us updating FESCUE, we cannot possibly keep up to date with all the worldwide activity (including announced expansions of projects, delays, cancellations, etc.) and VERY MUCH ask for your input on your projects.  Please post any additions, updates or corrections on this GCA thread or email either of us directly.

We continue to be amazed at the sheer volume of activity worldwide.  Last year, I asked Tom Doak how many projects he thought were underway or completed since 1/1/2022 - his guess was something like 300-400.  At that time, we had something like 700 projects listed.

At the end of 2022, we had about 970 projects listed and as part of our annual year end “clean-up”, we transferred 221 projects (which opened in 2021) to our archive file for 2021 and dropped 36 projects for which no activity was evident to us during 2022.

So we start 2023 with 710 projects on our main FESCUE file (plus archive files---see the note at the bottom of FESCUE for openings in 2019, 2020, and 2021---plus the waiting room/abandoned/NLE list of 38 “dropped” projects).  As more projects are announced over the next 12 months (and we learn of others we have missed) the 710 will grow throughout the year… obviously very much as a function of economic conditions.

Interesting numbers - both good and bad:
1.     No surprise, but with 425 of 713 projects, the USA accounts for 59.6% of the total.
2.     Continental Europe totals 69 projects (9.8% of worldwide total)
Asian totals 68 project (Asia includes the Middle East which has 14 of the 69 projects) Europe is led by Spain 16, Sweden 9, and Portugal 7.
Vietnam has 20 of the 68 projects in Asia…a major shift from the historically strong Asian countries of China, Japan, and S Korea
3.     Putting politics aside - in the USA, golf projects are following the nation’s population demographics, with low tax states leading the way.  Note Florida with 61, Texas 32, TN with 15.  While CA shows 30, that is a smaller share than usual for CA.  Surprising strong states IMO are Minnesota with 16, South Carolina with 19, Wisconsin with 12, and Texas and Tennessee listed above.  Nebraska, a hot area over the past few years only has 4 on the current list, of which 3 opened in 2022.

Other thoughts:
1.     Cost/Budget #’s can be low or high – somewhat reliable excluding inflation between planning and execution are municipal course budgets found in county/state filings
2.     Golf Architect vs. Golf Construction – much like Billy Bell’s historical contributions, much of the list has construction crews, shapers, etc. as the most impactful to the final work, but that data is often scarce.
3.     Which project is the best?  We’ll disagree – that’s why we have GCA discussions.
4.     Which project is the worst? Obvious - the restoration flattening green slopes to 2 degrees so we can stimp at …

Go to https://fescue.github.io and check out the list.  We hope it is a resource for golfers looking to see what is coming down the pike…and for architects and developers looking for trends.

ARCHITECTS: Would be great if you could check the list for your projects and advise us regarding missing projects, or any corrections to the listed projects.  All columns are sortable by clicking at the top of the column - Start by sorting the list by architect (go the 5th column and hit the arrow in the top line (“Golf Architect”) and scroll down the resulting alphabetical list.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:11:13 PM by Paul Rudovsky »

Paul Rudovsky

Re: FESCUE--listing of projects finished in '22 and ongoing now
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:09:04 PM »
Some additional points ...dealing with new course development 2022 forward:

Total of 259 courses worldwide, including:
USA            100
Latin Am       26  (incl Mexico 6 and Argentina 3)
GB&I            14
Cont Eur       37  (incl Spain 9 and Portugal 6)
Oceania        13
Asia              57 (incl Vietnam 20 and Middle East 19)

In USA the 100 includes 20 in FL, 16 in TX, and 9 in SC.  But look at what had happened to the historical engines of USA golf:
Calif  3 (2 of which have been completed already)
Michigan  3
New York  2
Georgia  2
New Jersey  1
Arizona  1
North Carolina 1
Pennsylvania ZERO

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 10:58:36 AM »
Hi Paul:

I have another new project for you.  You'll hear about it tomorrow, I'm told.  Actually I have a couple more under contract, too, but they are still under wraps for now.

Also, regarding those you have listed for me:

The two projects listed in Texas, other than Childress, are actually the same project.  They are planning 36 holes on this one, too, but it doesn't sound like I'm going to convince them to let my associates do the second 18, as I suggested.

I'm not signed up to do anything for Diamanté, or elsewhere in Cabo, though I've had a couple of offers there in the past year.  Perhaps you are confusing Diamanté with Punta Brava, in Ensenada, which I am building.  Their plan is to open at the end of 2024, so they'd better get going pretty soon!

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 09:53:01 PM »
I was told by a member at Wethersfield Country Club in Wethersfield, CT. that they are rebuilding all of the bunkers starting next year.  I am not sure of the architect but that would be a potential lead. 

Another course in the middle of a renovation is Country Club of New Canaan in New Canaan, CT.  Andrew Green has created a master plan for the club and the work is already underway.  I know he changed a short Par 4 into a longer Par 3 which seems like a nice addition, compared to the previous hole it replaced. Many trees have come down, new bunkers added, old bunkers rebuilt

Matt Dusenberry is also doing some renovation work at Sharon Country Club in Sharon, CT.  He is expanding some of the greens and even added a new section of green to one hole. He has also restored/renovated a centerline hazard on the same hole.  Sharon is a fun nine-hole course that has an assortment of holes from different decades.  They have a few holes from the 20’s a few holes from the 30’s and a few holes from the 60’s. A few of the greens are really interesting and you get some nice views from the property.

Silver Spring in Ridgefield, CT appears to be doing some renovation work as well.

Suneagles Golf Club in Eatontown, NJ looks like it is undergoing a renovation.  Many of the green surrounds were re-turfed and several trees had been removed.  I also saw a new tee under construction, but I’m not sure who is doing the work.  The course was terrific, I had seen it on Joe Bausch’s photo tour, but was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the course. The clubhouse appears to be under renovation as well.

Shark River Golf Club in Neptune, NJ looks like they had also re-turfed around the greens and bunkers. Maybe rebuilt a few of the bunkers? Not sure of the architect.  It was very well presented for a municipal golf course. 

I have just played these courses this year and noticed the work or heard from members, so I would double check with these clubs or architects to verify if this information is correct.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:49:44 PM by Bret Lawrence »

Peter Bowman

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 09:07:51 AM »
That’s a hell of an extensive list, Paul! Well done

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back