News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gallant

The best par-3 at North Berwick?
« on: January 27, 2023, 05:23:09 PM »
North Berwick has a great collection of par-3s, so distinguishing the best one is a tough task. But I've whittled it down, and think the best 3 at NB is...hole number 7!

What's that? Hole 7 isn't a par 3? Oh, apologies, I meant hole 7 on the Kid's Course!!!

Having walked the short course a few times, I'm convinced that the 7th hole, St Andrews, might just be the best par 3 on the property.

It plays parallel to Redan, with the prevailing wind helping, which makes its design all the more perfect. At 94 yards, you might think it's a push over, but looks can be deceiving.

Standing on the tee, one can just make out the top of the flag, which sits semi-blind behind a natural ridge that runs at an angle to the line of play right in front of the green.

The green sits on the other side of the ridge, and as you can see, everything feeds from left to right.

There is a lone bunker (I believe the only bunker on the entire course!) that sits at the back of the green, ready to gobble up shots that either fly the ridge with not enough spin, or for those running shots that are too aggressive.

It feels that there are a number of ways to play this, with everything from a putter to a 5iron, to a wedge.

What excitement one feels as they take into account the wind, ground firmness and pin position; play the shot, and then run up the hill to see where the ball lies.

Not only is it a blast to play, but I do think it's unique to any par-3 I've seen on so called 'big' courses. I hope that next time you're visiting North Berwick, you will have a look across at St Andrews and study one of the best holes in the town :)

Michael Chadwick

Re: The best par-3 at North Berwick?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 05:28:30 PM »
I'm sure some of us here have walked onto the Wee Course, Tim...to pick up our OB tee balls on 16!
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Tim Gallant

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 05:36:53 PM »
I'm sure some of us here have walked onto the Wee Course, Tim...to pick up our OB tee balls on 16!

The new excuse for hitting it OB on 15, 'I just wanted to check out this cool little hole over here that I read about on GCA' :)

PS - I've been OB on numerous occasions. Not proud!

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 09:48:30 PM »
Tim,

I say 10 because I can see what is happening.
AKA Mayday

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 04:53:23 AM »
Looks cool Tim. Thanks for highlighting.
Some other high echelon locations where 'another' or 'lessor' course has a hole of high merit, maybe even superior than any hole on the main course, would include the 15th on the Holywell course at St Enodoc, the 8th on The Channel course at Burnham and Berrow and at Cruden Bay the 6th, 7th and 8th holes.
atb

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 05:23:09 AM »
Having walked the short course a few times,

Aye right !! I'll bet you've used that boyish demeanour of yours to get on and play a few times. I have to say it does look lovely particularly the photo looking backwards which shows all the rumple. I'm also totally with you that often the best par 3's are on short courses. The 9th at St Olaf's at Cruden Bay being a great example. When the pin is on the back ledge it is probably one of the best par 3's in the north of Scotland.

Niall

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 05:49:47 AM »
The Wee Course used to have what I thought was the best sign I ever saw on a golf course...something to the effect of "No adults allowed unless accompanied by children below the age of 15".sure if 15 was the age cited but you get the picture.  Was surprised and disappointed on last visit that the sign was no longer there.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 03:50:00 PM »
Tim you've raised the bar on exclusivity! 

As usual you need friends with access and its life's lottery whether you have the right connections.

You are to be congratulated in that you are scouting the course now knowing you will qualify in the next few years , whereas I'm in danger of being arrested if if try to hard to make friends with a 'member'.

Have often looked across with interest.  Even more so now...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 05:50:13 PM »
I hope that Catriona Matthew is seeing this thread!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 08:38:52 AM »
Love all the par three on the West course. Really like #6 the quarry hole.

Need to spend time on the short course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back