News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Re:"Survivor" Revisited: Great Golfing Regions (preamble)
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2003, 04:29:05 PM »
Mr. Lyon,

I resemble that remark :)

BTW - I'd include Bristol Harbour, Olde Kinderhook, Bellevue (Ross) Hiawatha Landing, Greystone & Ravewood also.

Where is Wolfert's Roost? Never heard of it.

How does Orchard Park stand up in the worls of Travis courses?
Integrity in the moment of choice

JNC Lyon

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2003, 05:08:57 PM »
John Foley:

Wolfert's Roost is in Albany, A Tillinghast which is relatively obscure. Some of his other Upstate courses include Niagra Falls, Bluff Point in Plattsburgh, Oswego and Binghamton CC.

As for Orchard Park, I am not familiar with the layout. Judging from the quality of his other upstate courses, I'm sure it is very good.

Also if you are including Greystone, I will have to add Cobblestone Creek to thelist of good Rochester private courses, even if it is a bit "housey" ;)

A few more golden age courses from the upstate:

Grover Cleveland Park Course (site of the 1912 U.S. Open!)
Leatherstocking (Emmet)
Sagamore (Ross)
Rip Van Winkle (Ross)
Irondequoit (Ross)
Locust Hill (Seymour Dunn)
Cavalry (Wilson)
Corning (Winton)
Tupper Lake (Ross)
Onondaga (Thompson and Wogan)
Glens Falls (Ross)

I have not played all of these course, but if there are any questions on the location, just fire away.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 05:13:11 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

peter_p

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2003, 07:47:37 PM »
Another area is the Mornington peninsula and whatever the name is to he west to include Barwon Head, etc.

Las Vegas

Second the addition of  Baja/Cabo

Chris Kane

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2003, 07:53:22 PM »
Pete,

The Mornington Peninsula includes:

The National (Ocean)
The National (Moonah)
The National (Old)
The Dunes
Moonah Links
Portsea
Sorrento
Flinders

The other side is known as the Bellarine Peninsula, and the only courses of note are Thirteenth Beach and Barwon Heads.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2003, 08:51:59 PM »
JNC_Lyon -

I'm not sure your Upstate NY list cancels out the entire state of Michigan.  Oakland Hills, Plum Hollow, Detroit Golf Club, Birmingham CC (all in the Detroit area) have hosted majors.  Michigan has more courses than any other in the country.  And upstate Lower Peninsula, Michigan (Gaylord, Traverse City, Cheboygan, etc.) is considered a top "golf destination" in the country.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2003, 12:44:26 AM »
Gotta take the Scottish highlands.  With weather no factor, January play is possible (by possible, I don't mean someone saying "I played once in January, it was 41 degrees with 30 mph winds and a bit of rain, but I was fine", no thanks!)  And I'm going to assume that you are including pretty much everything north of Carnoustie, so that's a lot of courses, all pretty eglitarian about playing when compared to the exclusivity of the better courses (or are we going to assume that if we pick the Georgia region, we can play ANGC 30 times a year if we want?)  That problem is also the big knock on East Lothian since it takes Muirfield out of the picture (unless it is not too hard to become a member at North Berwick or Gullane and they do reciprocation)

Best of all, its a less popular region with tourists, so you wouldn't have to deal with all us filthy yanks coming over and screwing up the joint.  I'd probably take Fife otherwise, but while I loved visiting St. Andrews, I think I'd get sick of the place eventually if I had to live there with all the tourists.  Or we are optimizing out the annoying-tourist factor along with the weather and membership issues?  ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2003, 09:46:31 AM »
Shivas, I just returned from the land of monterey cypress trees mixed in with a few very good golf courses. December is just fine for golf.

Casey Wade

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2003, 10:25:04 AM »
What about us in Texas?  Houston(Champions and Whispering Pines)  and Dallas/Fort Worth(Colonial, DAC, Dallas National)  

How about Memphis also?(Colonial CC South, Memphis CC, Ridgeway, home of the PGA champion Shaun Micheel)?

Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2003, 10:29:19 AM »
cwade,

No mention of Spring Creek Ranch in Memphis?   For a new course, it remains under the radar screen.

Also,  any idea how much of Lankford's original work remains at Chickasaw CC?

No mention of Overton Park ;)  Does it still have the dogleg par three?

Thanks for not mentioning TPC Southwind (ugh!)

Sentenced to golf in Tennessee, I'd have to go with Chattanooga:  The Honors, Black Creek, Lookout Mountain, Bear Trace and Chattanooga CC.  Not to mention a road trip to Knoxville's Holston Hills (followed by a deli from Sam & Andy's and the purchase of Big Orange garb at the campus book store).  

Mike
Homeboy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 10:52:34 AM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back