News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Heads up. Dates for BUDA 2023. Celebrate the 21st!
« on: December 21, 2022, 03:56:25 PM »
At last Return to the Cotswolds. This will be BUDA no 21 we have come of age.

The second was at Painswick and this return is overdue. These Cotswold courses have all long been championed here on GCA. To get on the most popular we’ve stretched to a fourth day. As usual the test will be team Matchplay ala Ryder Cup; exact formats agreed nearer the time by the Captains.

Please note. 
This is a heads up notice only, Booking Opens w.c 16 01 2023 on a new thread.

Friday 15th September
9.15am Cleeve Hill. Simply one of the wonders of golf.  The scale is epic and the joy unconfined.
Mr Arble seems to love it!
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html

Saturday 16th
9.15am Painswick. Unique. No other description comes close.https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51629.msg1181534.html#msg1181534

Sunday 17th
9.15 Stranahan Course. Players Club

A modern course that I believe will sit well with the others. Our host and Architect of the Course Adrian Stiff, admits to rethinking his approach based on what he thought about whilst reading GCA. He was at least 20 years ahead of David McClay Smith in his conversion to ‘Golfers just wanna have fun’!
In this profile Sean writes “I think it rather obvious that I am impressed with the Stranahan Course.  The greens alone are worth a visit and I think one of the best sets I have seen in England.”

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48856.msg1102965.html#msg1102965
On this evening we will take a MiniBus into nearby Chipping Sodbury

Monday 18th[/sup  9.15 Minchinhampton Old.
 Another ‘Common Ground’ course.  Lovely, just lovely and to think this course was once considered for the first inland venue for The Open Championship!

This time the profile is by someone who used to be on GCA, Ran Morrisett.  He says it has that joy to be alive feeling and if you don’t get this course you don’t get golf.
https://golfclubatlas.com/countries/minchinhampton-golf-club-old-course/?portfolioCats=249%2C250%2C251%2C252%2C253%2C254%2C255%2C256%2C257%2C258%2C259%2C260%2C261%2C262%2C263%2C264%2C265%2C266%2C267%2C268%2C269%2C270%2C271%2C272%2C273%2C274%2C275%2C276

Accommodation 3 nights. Fri/Sat/Sun  inc Breakfast           

Staying at “The Dormie”. Players Club, Codrington, Bristol BS37 6RZ 
https://www.theplayersgolfclub.com/
Adrian plans to be around and loves to talk Golf. His Clubhouse features framed programmes from The Open Championship. Last time I visited there were only a very few missing. This time?

Maximum total for 3 nights accommodation with breakfast, and 8 rounds of Golf £ 432.00
More details when booking opens.

I will start a new thread week commencing 16 01 2023 and on that will accept bookings  on receipt of £50 deposit. Initially max of 28 players.  I have opened an International Bank Account in the hope this alternative makes payments easier.

This will be one of the most social BUDA’s if everyone stays in the same place! Modern Rooms and fantastic social facilities all in the same building. Full dining on site. We also have options to use a simulator, play Pool, or even the 9 hole par 3 course.  There will be a Poker Game Sunday night for those who fancy their luck. There is travel between courses involved, but you can’t have everything!
The price above is confirmed and is seriously outstanding VFM. 

Note Cleeve Hill and Painswick are strenuous walks.  Some may prefer to only play 18 on those days. The other two are ideal walks but 18 available for those who prefer.  Will check if there are any buggies but not hopeful. More info to follow.

The Sunday at the Players Club offers more options. We can discuss this as a group once the main thread starts.

Hopefully people will be available for al 4 days but we’ve always mixed and matched in the past.

Finally I hope Jason Topp and Giles Payne can attend this year. Ladies and Gentlemen Your Captains!
Thanks guys, Fingers crossed.

Buda 1 (2003) Dornoch and Brora
 Buda 2 (2004) Painswick   
 Buda 3 (2005) Littlestone and Deal
 Buda 4 (2006) Hoylake and Wallasey
 Buda 5 (2007) Allwoodley and Moortown
 Buda 6 (2008) Lundin Links and Elie
 Buda 7 (2009) Deal and Royal St George's
 Buda 8 (2010) Pennard and Royal Porthcawl
 Buda 9 (2011) Liphook    and Hankley Common
 Buda 10 (2012) Silloth-on-Solway
 Buda 11 (2013) Noordwijk and Royal Hague
 Buda 12 (2014) St. Enodoc and Perranporth
 Buda 13 (2015) Notts and Sherwoodd Forest
 Buda 14 (2016) Carne and Enniscrone
 Buda 15 (2017) Rye and Littlestone
 Buda 16 (2018) Brora and Golspie
 Buda 17 (2019) Goswick and Dunstanburgh
 Buda 18 (2020) Kington and Welshpool
 Buda 19 (2021) Cavendish and Reddish Vale
 Buda 20 (2022) Woodhall Spa and Seacroft
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 05:15:46 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

ward peyronnin

Re: Heads up dates for BUDA 2023 our 21st!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 04:07:12 PM »
Cleeve Hill is a blast; no doubt about it
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Thomas Dai

Re: Heads up dates for BUDA 2023. Celebrate the 21st!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 04:16:58 PM »
Splendid! Yes please.
Three rather special yee olde Cotswold courses and Adrian’s clever and cunning Stranahan course too.
Yippee! Well done and thanks to Tony and Adrian.
Can’t wait.
atb
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 04:22:31 PM by Thomas Dai »

Marty Bonnar

Re: Heads up. Dates for BUDA 2023. Celebrate the 21st!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 06:01:15 PM »
England again?
I’d love to play a David McLay Smith course. David McLay Kidd not so much.
But nah, in either case.
Have fun!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 07:09:50 PM »
Once again I will sign up in hopes of actually making the trip across the pond. This is an area that has for a long time captured my interest.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 09:10:10 PM »
Well done Tony!  Mrs. and I were planning a trip in May to Oxford and the Cotswolds with golf at these courses.  Her suggestion: let’s sync up with the Buda!  I married very well.

Seasons Greetings.

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 11:33:50 AM »
I thought I was out this year because an Ireland trip ends two days before but Jack wants to go!!!

We have two times for two set. 

September 13

ROYAL NORTH DEVON 1228

September 14

ROYAL PORTHCAWL 1230

We have room for 2.
AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 04:46:56 AM »
Bloody Hell, I'm getting old.  I believe Mike Whitaker and I remain tied for the lead on 16 consecutive BUDAs (Holland really narrowed the field!) and I don't intend breaking that streak.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 07:00:25 AM »
It is really wonderful that you all have kept this alive. Apologies for never participating, and perhaps in 2024. This is a busy year coming up.

With appreciation...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 09:21:04 AM »
It is really wonderful that you all have kept this alive. Apologies for never participating, and perhaps in 2024. This is a busy year coming up.

With appreciation...

Buda is right up your alley, Mike.
AKA Mayday

Brian Finn

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 09:36:58 AM »
My friend and I visited and played Cleeve Hill, Painswick, and Minch Old (with "atb" Dai, as our guide) - such incredible experiences, each, and some unique golf holes that we won't soon forget.  I will have to seriously consider trying to finally get involved in Buda.  What a terrific lineup this year offers.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 12:05:29 PM »
Brian Finn,The people are even better than the courses. Try it and you will be hooked.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 01:13:53 PM »
This ties in perfectly with my time at Golspie ending the 14th of Sept 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 04:50:13 PM »
Totally TOC but may I recommend to anyone going that they take in Clarkson Farms on Amazon. Entertaining saga of a reality show star tryinng to manage and work his large Cotswald farm with very good production values and bon homme.
Also my daughter and I spent a rewarding 10 days touring great houses/gardens some of which vaulted to my top of UK list. Would be happy to share the stars.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 07:32:43 PM »
Big Ward, would welcome your suggestions for the Cotswolds.  Mrs. and J will be visiting around Buda.  Email works but others might appreciate as well. 

All the best.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 08:10:58 PM »
Big Ward, would welcome your suggestions for the Cotswolds.  Mrs. and J will be visiting around Buda.  Email works but others might appreciate as well. 

All the best.

Sezincote is my favourite pile in the Cotswolds. Blenheim is cool too. GWSR runs from Cheltenham, its worth an afternoon. Chipping Campden is worth a stroll. Hidcote garden is lovely.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 06:22:03 AM »
For the uninitiated the GWSR is a heritage steam railway that runs from the newly restored Broadway station through to the outskirts of Cheltenham. It is, as Sean rightly says, well worth a day out.
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 02:30:01 PM »
Very near Painswick GC one of the UKs great sporting events takes place over terrain not dissimilar to the first hole on the course - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjSUk9o-D6E
Atb

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2023, 05:34:10 AM »
I once went to watch the cheese rolling back in the early 90's, when nobody was too worried about liability, health and safety, death and other such nonsense.

When the cheese wasn't careening into the bystanders, the contestants were literally cartwheeling into the open doors of the ambulances lined up at the bottom. It was carnage.

I don't much like cheese, so wasn't tempted to take part.
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 05:52:20 AM »
I once went to watch the cheese rolling back in the early 90's, when nobody was too worried about liability, health and safety, death and other such nonsense.

When the cheese wasn't careening into the bystanders, the contestants were literally cartwheeling into the open doors of the ambulances lined up at the bottom. It was carnage.

They are mad as F*** to go sprinting down that hill  ;D ;D

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 10:09:53 AM »
health and safety, death and other such nonsense.

Sounds like an album title from the 80's.  ;D

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 10:14:42 AM »

I had to watch it as well. Total madness. On the video it doesn't look to bad. In person that hill bloody steep.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Stephens

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 01:17:11 PM »

I had to watch it as well. Total madness. On the video it doesn't look to bad. In person that hill bloody steep.

Ciao

In my area - its Bottle Kicking on Easter Monday - also crazy as well lots of injuries have known to happen - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle-kicking

In the UK there are some crazy traditional and modern events that would worry H+S!

Steve Holloway

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 02:01:51 PM »
Tony,

Sounds a fantastic trip - would love to get involved for my first ever BUDA - will definitely be signing up.

Many thanks and Happy New Year

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 01:28:55 PM »
Bloody Hell, I'm getting old.  I believe Mike Whitaker and I remain tied for the lead on 16 consecutive BUDAs (Holland really narrowed the field!) and I don't intend breaking that streak.
Mark - I’ve attended 17 Budas, but only 15 consecutively:  3-17
I missed the COVID Buda (#18), but have attended the two since.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back