News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: 2022 YANK AWARDS
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2022, 04:15:10 AM »
Best New Play Course 2022
West Hill, unquestionably

Most pleasant Surprise
Thorndon Park

Most disappointing moment on a great course
The bonkers walk routing from the 'ordinary' club tees to play the new Hoylake short hole (and I still prefer the old Rushes 13th)

Best Return after a While Away
Wallasey

V glad Sean approves of all the work that has been done at Porthcawl, and there are plans afoot to do something with the 17th: completely agree that the 12th and 17th are relatively uninspiring, compared to everything else! Elsewhere in Wales Harlech irrigation system now bedding in, and the fairways etc should be pretty good for 2023, even if the dormy expansion project is caught up in National Park stuffage. RStD does need I think to tighten up one or two greens (e.g. 2nd, 8th, 9th) that have lost bunkers over the years, as the water table has risen.

Happy Christmas to one and all!

This is the first time I have heard of the harsh walk for Hoylake's new short hole. This is not music to my ears. I guess the drone footage is pretty though 😁.

Merry Christmas
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Richard Fisher

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2022, 06:12:48 AM »
The walk to the new Hoylake short hole makes sense if you are playing the surrounding 600-yard par fives from the Open tees...but for ordinary member play it is a long way round.

The Gogs has had Martin Ebert working on both courses, with a major bunker programme on the Wandlebury (which has never been as good, or as popular with the membership, as perhaps it should have been). Would be super to host a trio of GCA friends there, on either of the courses at some point in 2023.

Sean_A

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2022, 06:20:03 AM »
The walk to the new Hoylake short hole makes sense if you are playing the surrounding 600-yard par fives from the Open tees...but for ordinary member play it is a long way round.

The Gogs has had Martin Ebert working on both courses, with a major bunker programme on the Wandlebury (which has never been as good, or as popular with the membership, as perhaps it should have been). Would be super to host a trio of GCA friends there, on either of the courses at some point in 2023.

Richard

Do you know Rhod Thomas?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Richard Fisher

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2022, 07:01:20 AM »
Yes!

Sean_A

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2022, 07:14:23 AM »
Yes!

I have played with Rhod a handful of times. Good lad.

Ciao

Mark Pearce

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2022, 07:47:19 AM »

I'd be very keen to revisit and can always find an excuse to work from our Cambridge office.....

Sean_A

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2022, 04:59:39 AM »
Best New Play Course 2022
West Hill, unquestionably

Most pleasant Surprise
Thorndon Park

Most disappointing moment on a great course
The bonkers walk routing from the 'ordinary' club tees to play the new Hoylake short hole (and I still prefer the old Rushes 13th)

Best Return after a While Away
Wallasey

V glad Sean approves of all the work that has been done at Porthcawl, and there are plans afoot to do something with the 17th: completely agree that the 12th and 17th are relatively uninspiring, compared to everything else! Elsewhere in Wales Harlech irrigation system now bedding in, and the fairways etc should be pretty good for 2023, even if the dormy expansion project is caught up in National Park stuffage. RStD does need I think to tighten up one or two greens (e.g. 2nd, 8th, 9th) that have lost bunkers over the years, as the water table has risen.

Happy Christmas to one and all!

I like the 17th, though it is a tough hole for shorter hitters. I have more an issue with the final holes having breaks in the fairways. There is an element of redundancy.

Happy New Year
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 09:58:33 AM by Sean_A »

jeffwarne

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2022, 11:07:41 AM »

Best Course Played This Year: This will be a surprise for many...Porthcawl. These last few visits have really turned my head. I am all in.

High praise indeed. I've always been a fan of Porthcawl.
Excited to see the Senior Open there again on a great true links.

2022 was an unusual year for me on the course list.
I played zero links courses, despite making one trip overseas to the UK.

My awards were:
Most surprising repeat play -Aiken GC-every time I return I am amazed-the greens!! untainted by the ugly quest for green speed-diabolical slope.
I played 15 feet of break on a 10 foot putt. Not even explainable to someone who plays vapid greens(or hole locations) designed for everyday speeds of 12.

Favorite affordable not named Aiken GC
Shennecossett

Best New  Play-Tree Farm
Note -Old Barnwell has only 7 holes shaped and grassed

Best New play 9 Holes-Fenwick

Honorable mention Best New play Worcester CC, Hollywood GC

Favorite Rounds on a new play course
Blairgowrie Rosemont-watching my son beat me for the first time in a practice round, then finding a little magic myself in the event proper
Runnerup-Pitlochry

Best Course spectated at in a major-(in order)
TOC
TCC
ANGC
Gleneagles Kings

Best Course played where a major was played that year
ANGC

Best Course played in a major
Gleneagles Kings
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 01:13:33 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2022, 11:55:46 AM »
I like Jeff Warne’s categories and added two more.

Most Surprising Repeat Play-I got my third trip around Eastward Ho after the last play in 2016. I forgot just how compelling the golf course is until back out there-WOW!!!!

Favorite Lucky Seven Repeat Plays - Yale, Essex County Club, Salem CC, Shuttle Meadow CC, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Southern Pines

Favorite Affordable-Keney Park with a nod to East Mountain GC

Best New Play-Jump Ball between Manasquan River and Rutland CC

Best New 9 holer-Acoaxcet Club with a runner up
to Highland Links

Best Repeat 9 holer-Pine Orchard Yacht and CC

Honorable Mention Best New Plays-Tedesco CC, Wahconah CC and Ledgemont CC

Favorite Round on a New Course-Cape Cod National with honorable mention to The GC at Equinox

Best Course Spectated in a Major-The Country Club

Played no courses in a Major :P

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 12:15:10 PM by Tim Martin »

Tal Oz

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2022, 04:54:37 PM »
2022 Courses Played (in order played, * is new)
Jockey Club Azul*
Rustic Canyon
Soule Park
Wilshire CC
Virginia CC*
Riviera CC
Boston GC*
George Wright*
Chicago GC
Torrey Pines North* post re-do
Rancho Park

Favorite New Course Boston GC

Favorite Affordable New Course George Wright

Best Course Spectated At A Major TCC

GCAers Played With 6

Sean_A

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2023, 01:54:04 PM »
Jockey Club Azul*
Rustic Canyon
Soule Park
Wilshire CC
Virginia CC*
Riviera CC
Boston GC*
George Wright*
Chicago GC
Rancho Park

GCAers Played With 6

There are two courses on your list I am keen to see... Wilshire and G Wright. They could be much further apart in the continental US 😎.

Ciao

Tal Oz

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2023, 09:43:18 PM »
Jockey Club Azul*
Rustic Canyon
Soule Park
Wilshire CC
Virginia CC*
Riviera CC
Boston GC*
George Wright*
Chicago GC
Rancho Park

GCAers Played With 6

There are two courses on your list I am keen to see... Wilshire and G Wright. They could be much further apart in the continental US 😎.

Ciao
Sean,

I played George Wright during US Open week and it was in tip top shape. Fun course, rugged, some big movement. A few clunky holes to start and finish. In particular I loved the downhill dogleg right 5th to a punchbowl and the terraced fairway 12th.

Wilshire is one of the great walks in LA. It's near or at the top of the 2nd tier of LA clubs. I'd argue it's my favorite membership of the crop in the city (I haven't played Lakeside yet!) The barranca gets a lot of play and it drains phenomenally well. The par 3s have some of the most unique green shapes you'll ever see.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2023, 02:17:32 PM »
Jockey Club Azul*
Rustic Canyon
Soule Park
Wilshire CC
Virginia CC*
Riviera CC
Boston GC*
George Wright*
Chicago GC
Rancho Park

GCAers Played With 6

Ciao
Sean,

I played George Wright during US Open week and it was in tip top shape. Fun course, rugged, some big movement. A few clunky holes to start and finish. In particular I loved the downhill dogleg right 5th to a punchbowl and the terraced fairway 12th.

Wilshire is one of the great walks in LA. It's near or at the top of the 2nd tier of LA clubs. I'd argue it's my favorite membership of the crop in the city (I haven't played Lakeside yet!) The barranca gets a lot of play and it drains phenomenally well. The par 3s have some of the most unique green shapes you'll ever see.
Tal not to put you on the spot by any means, but I have read this numerous times on the site where someone says something similiar about the membership.  "Great membership" or "The club's membership is second to none."
What exactly do people mean? Isn't is your host they are referencing, or they are just commenting on how friendly the strangers are who are members?  If a club can have a great membership, then others can have bad by comparison I suppose although I'm not sure how.  I certainly don't think we are referencing wealth or wouldn't think so, but maybe I'm wrong?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tal Oz

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2023, 12:44:49 AM »
Jeff, when I think of membership I think of the atmosphere of the club. The people, the staff, the camaraderie, the 'am-I-walking-on-eggshells' of the place.

I'm extremely fortunate to have played Wilshire numerous times with many different hosts and many different members joining us for a round. Every single time it's been beyond welcoming and friendly, they all genuinely interact with you and I've made some lifelong friends on that course. Men, women, people twice my age, kids half mine, and every creed/color.

Contrast that with other prominent clubs in the LA area and you might see/feel something totally different. Some places you're there to experience an incredible golf course and get off the property shortly thereafter. Even when you do grab a drink or a meal afterwards it's not as lively or lighthearted.

Of course this is all down to personal taste and individual experience, your mileage may vary. There's a certain you know it when you see it about 'membership.' It has zero to do with wealth.

Sean_A

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2023, 02:18:47 AM »
Jockey Club Azul*
Rustic Canyon
Soule Park
Wilshire CC
Virginia CC*
Riviera CC
Boston GC*
George Wright*
Chicago GC
Rancho Park

GCAers Played With 6

There are two courses on your list I am keen to see... Wilshire and G Wright. They could be much further apart in the continental US .

Ciao
Sean,

Thanks Tal. Maybe one day I will make it to California. I always swore I wouldn't visit until I had a game at CPC on the books. Which LACC course had the course within a course concept? That place has a strong pull as well. But Wilshire is right behind these two.

Ciao

Tal Oz

« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2023, 01:19:03 AM »
Jockey Club Azul*
Rustic Canyon
Soule Park
Wilshire CC
Virginia CC*
Riviera CC
Boston GC*
George Wright*
Chicago GC
Rancho Park

GCAers Played With 6

There are two courses on your list I am keen to see... Wilshire and G Wright. They could be much further apart in the continental US .

Ciao
Sean,

Thanks Tal. Maybe one day I will make it to California. I always swore I wouldn't visit until I had a game at CPC on the books. Which LACC course had the course within a course concept? That place has a strong pull as well. But Wilshire is right behind these two.

Ciao
Sean, there's so much incredible golf in CA that a trip out here sans Cypress is still well worth the travel. But you already know that!

Not sure RE: LACC course within a course, can you elaborate?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back