News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Cabot Barrens Hole Identification Mystery
« on: January 20, 2023, 07:45:14 PM »

Recently Cabot Citrus Farms published a YouTube a Cabot Barrens Rendering Video.  Apparently Cabot Barrens is the new name of the former Pine Barrens course at World Woods.  The rendering video is available here if you haven't seen it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDq0PHq4HE

There are renderings of a number of holes in the video.  Having played Pine Barrens a fair number of times over the years I thought I should be able to identify where the holes were on the property.  Turns out I was wrong.  Of the six pictures below, I could only identify one of them as it was based on a previous hole.  The others apparently are totally new at some location on the property.  Can anybody identify where these holes are and whether they are reworkings of previous holes or totally new holes.

Some observations on the design as exhibited in the video:

There appears to have been some massive tree clearing.  There appears to be a triple fairway wide corridor in one of the pictures.

Maybe it's just the rendering but there are no walking paths or cart paths from tees to fairways to greens.

The bunkers/waste areas all appear to be natural and the rendering shows eyebrows on all them along with clumps of native grass in the bunkers/waste areas.  Seems to me they'll be a maintenance nightmare if they are actually built that way.  Not to mention I've lost balls in bunker eyebrows on my former home course.

Looks like a lot of earth/sand has been moved.

I guess it's a rebuild rather than a renovation.

Looks like it will be an attractive course for the GCA crowd if it gets built as rendered.

Anyway, can you solve the mystery of where these holes are?

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Cabot Barrens Hole Identification Mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 02:59:19 AM »
Not answering your question but just connecting two threads:

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,71636.0.html

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 06:38:13 AM »
The first photos look like they’re of the old 16th playing backwards as the new third hole. From there you get some renderings of old 4/15 playing around the sand quarry. Fixes ONE of the routing issues of old Pine Barrens.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Drew Harvie

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 11:52:47 AM »
The last photo is the new par 4, 18th

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 02:00:25 PM »

Ally, thanks for the link.  I hadn't looked at that thread before posting this one.

Drew, have you been out there during construction?  Have you seen a routing for the revised course?  See the following which is a bit at odds with your piece on your own site.  I'm not convinced that the last picture is the new 18th in the old 18th corridor.  The rendering of a dogleg left certainly fits but the design looks more like a par 5 than the old par 4.  Is that the old/new 1st coming down the left side of the picture? What's the grassed area at the left edge of the picture?

Kyle,  I think you're right about the first couple of pictures - that they are reversing the 16th hole.  The second picture I think clearly shows the the old/new 4th in the background with the trees and shrubbery behind the old 16th tee removed to open up the view.  The new hole certainly looks more dramatic than the old 16th, but the 16th was a good challenging par 3 in its own right, albeit really tough for a lot of the old clientele.

The third picture is clearly the old/new 4th hole - there appears to be minimal change to what was their original signature hole.

As I recall you were not a fan of the old central nexus of 1-2, 6-7, 11-12 and 17-18.

Is the reversed #16 is the new #3, what do you suppose they're doing with the old #3 in a new routing and how they might be improving the routing to do away with the nexus.

The reversed 16th with old/new 4th in the background.

The new/old 4th.

Drew Harvie

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 05:17:25 PM »

Ally, thanks for the link.  I hadn't looked at that thread before posting this one.

Drew, have you been out there during construction?  Have you seen a routing for the revised course?  See the following which is a bit at odds with your piece on your own site.  I'm not convinced that the last picture is the new 18th in the old 18th corridor.  The rendering of a dogleg left certainly fits but the design looks more like a par 5 than the old par 4.  Is that the old/new 1st coming down the left side of the picture? What's the grassed area at the left edge of the picture?

Kyle,  I think you're right about the first couple of pictures - that they are reversing the 16th hole.  The second picture I think clearly shows the the old/new 4th in the background with the trees and shrubbery behind the old 16th tee removed to open up the view.  The new hole certainly looks more dramatic than the old 16th, but the 16th was a good challenging par 3 in its own right, albeit really tough for a lot of the old clientele.

The third picture is clearly the old/new 4th hole - there appears to be minimal change to what was their original signature hole.

As I recall you were not a fan of the old central nexus of 1-2, 6-7, 11-12 and 17-18.

Is the reversed #16 is the new #3, what do you suppose they're doing with the old #3 in a new routing and how they might be improving the routing to do away with the nexus.

The reversed 16th with old/new 4th in the background.

The new/old 4th.

I haven't been on site but I had a friend who has been on property tell me the final photo is the 18th. Not sure what the situation with the par 3's is, it makes sense if they are revered but my editorial team doesn't believe that is the case. For now, I'll keep it the 3rd/16th, but I could see them being flipped

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 06:01:49 PM »
Anyone know if they are on schedule?
Me and my pals do a golf trip in early Feb each year.  Cabot Citrus is an option for 13 months from now, but that doesn't leave much buffer time if they are late on getting the courses done.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back