News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: TD on Cabot Highlands (aka Castle Stuart)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 01:58:45 PM »
Good article.

Clearly the Castle Stuart site has been farmed for the last xxx years. What I couldn’t tell is whether there is sand underneath the organic stuff on top. And if so, how far under.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 05:23:23 PM »
Good article.

Clearly the Castle Stuart site has been farmed for the last xxx years. What I couldn’t tell is whether there is sand underneath the organic stuff on top. And if so, how far under.

Hi Ally:

Well, we have just paid archaeologists a lot of money to find stuff to pay them more to catalogue, but as part of that they dug trenches all over the site, so we got to see how much topsoil we will have to remove in order to get to the sand.  It varies across the site -- and the work by the castle wasn't done when we were there -- but there is sand pretty much throughout the lower part of the site, generally within a foot of the surface.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 06:25:57 PM »
Tom,

When you say “we paid”, does that mean you have an ownership interest as you do at St.Pats?

Thanks.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 08:04:37 PM »
Tom,

When you say “we paid”, does that mean you have an ownership interest as you do at St.Pats?

No, Ira.  St. Patrick's was probably a one-time thing.  Staying involved at that level takes up more time than I imagined it would, so I really couldn't do it for a bunch of my courses [unless I hired someone full time to watch them all for me].

That said, I might wind up with a small piece of High Pointe, but I would rather avoid all of the work of managing it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 08:52:17 AM »
Excellent and informative.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back